• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

2017-2018 Competitive Season Review

Bhangrabhangra

Best Coed Team: Buckeye/DRP
Best All Guys Team: SPD
Best All Girls Team: AVA
Best US Team: bhangra empire
Best Canadian Team: SPD
Best male dancer: Jagmeet saini
Best female dancer: Ashley espinoza
Best Mix: Bulldog bhangra at legacy of bhangra 2016
Best Set: NJ at elite 8, BK at warrior bhangra
Most Underrated Team: NPBA

brasian

Best Dancer: Brad (Vtech)
Dark Horses: Northwestern, Vtech, SDS

Most Anticipated 2018-19: AEM, SDS, Different collegiate teams taking on Blowout
Trends that gotta go: The shoot, and whatever the new overdone dance craze will be. One-man-shows. Hunched betke. "Running man" move. Dholi walking into middle of set, only to walk off without payoff

Last edited:

jasvig

Jaskirat Vig
Best Set: NJ Joshiley @ Circle City
Best DJ: Teg Hans/GSingh
Best UK: GCC
Best Team Chemistry: SPD
Best Male Dancer: Arun
Dark Horse: GT Bhangra
Most Overrated: AEG, MBT
Most Underrated: DDR
Most Dissapointing: CMU
Worst Comp: Crossroads of Bhangra
Best Dholi: Ram
Best Plastic Saaps distributor: HSA Bhangra Props

Trends that should not continue:
- Not dancing with shoulders
- Not picking up legs for dhamaal
- DJ's relying on solely on hi hats for hype / Every mix sounding the same

kd1

Best Coed Team: DDR
Best All Guys Team: SPD
Best All Girls Team: VSB Nishani/SMD
Best US Team: Soormay/Furteelay
Best Canadian Team: SPD/NJFL/NJJ

Just to mix things Up:

Most Overrated Team: Illini Bhangra
Most Underrated Team: VSB Waris/Furteelay
Most Disappointing Team: KPGD @ Boston 2017
Most Improved Team: DDR/Furteelay

priyanka.ram1997

Best Coed Team: Didn't have one this year fr :(
Best All Guys Team: Furteelay/Soormay
Best All Girls Team: Royal Queenz
Best US Team: FCB
Best Canadian Team: NJFL
Best Collegiate Team: if I haaad to pick then it'd be UNC
Favorite Male Dancer: Jagmeet (SPD), Dhir (FS/FCB), Saagar (FCB) :rolleyes:
Favorite Female Dancer: Deeksha (RQ)
Favorite Set: NJ Joshiley @ Circle City

Most Overrated Team: AEG/NSG
Most Underrated Team: FAUJ
Most Disappointing Team: all collegiate teams :/
Most Improved Team: NJJ
Most Well Run Comp: Circle City Bhangra

Trends that should go:
-collegiate teams jacking choreo
-under-qualified judges
-giving feedback that's not constructive on BTF
-comp lineups that aren't diverse (ex. Burgh 11- 5/8 of the teams were all-male teams)
Where I think the circuit will go next year: All-Girls teams taking overrr :p

Last edited:

UmerQureshi96

Staff member
Best Coed Team: DRP, Bruin set was nasty
Best All Guys Team: I think anyone else is lying if they don't say SPD. No one has beaten them in years.
Best All Girls Team: If VanCity Girls competed this year, but if they did, def them. Not sure if the vid I saw was from this season. Of the other teams I watched this year, I didn't genuinely enjoy any (though I didn't get to see NJ's girl team that went to Boston, heard they were kinda nasty)
Best US Team: FCB. I mean I'm not, NOT gonna say my own team
Best Canadian Team: NJJ/SPD. SPD is undoubtedly the reigning champs, but NJJ's set design at circle had me outta my seat gotta give them a nod
Best Collegiate Team: Illini was clearly the best dancing team but I never liked the set. UCLA's blowout set was swaggy as hell. UNC and CMU are up there in terms of overall set/execution. Take from that what you will, I didn't think there was a clear-cut 'best' this year.
Favorite Male Dancer: Jagmeet SPD, Dhir FCB, Sumeet KPGD, Arun FS. If someone could mix all those dancers into one person, that dancer could win 1st dancing by themself
Favorite Female Dancer: Deepika Potarazu KPGD/FCB/whoever she's dancing with nowadays
Favorite Set: NJJ @ Circle City hands down, no contest

Most Overrated Team: NSG, they killed it at Burgh, not gonna take that away. But one win doesn't make a team the best in the country. Once they get consistent placings and multiple dope performances in more than one season, then the praise is warranted.
Most Underrated Team: FAUJ, once they get more than 10 dancers and execution goes up across the board they'll be lethal again.
Most Disappointing Team: I don't think any team disappointed me. Most teams performed more or less where I thought they were gonna be.
Most Improved Team: MBT, y'all went through a major brain drain from last year and came back swingin'
Most Well Run Comp: If anyone says anything other than Buckeye Mela you're dead wrong
Worst Run Comp: Burgh

Trends that should go:
- comps that don't have bhangra people running the comp
- comps bringing on judges because they have 'india experience' but not actual captain experience
- comps that don't let the new wave of captains judge comps
- teams jacking SPD's shit, the reason they look so good is cuz their execution is unreal. Any other teams without that dancing caliber looks gawdy tryna do the same thing
- folk peeps on BTF that don't explain their arguments sayin stuff like "folk is like explaining the color red to a blind person, it's not possible"

Where I think the circuit will go next year:
- After SPD just winning Bruin? More teams tryna jack SPDs style hahaha
- (shameless plug) hopefully more judges willing to come on the podcast to explain their placings at various comps

sahab

Best Coed Team: DRP, Bruin set was nasty
Best All Guys Team: I think anyone else is lying if they don't say SPD. No one has beaten them in years.
Best All Girls Team: If VanCity Girls competed this year, but if they did, def them. Not sure if the vid I saw was from this season. Of the other teams I watched this year, I didn't genuinely enjoy any (though I didn't get to see NJ's girl team that went to Boston, heard they were kinda nasty)
Best US Team: FCB. I mean I'm not, NOT gonna say my own team
Best Canadian Team: NJJ/SPD. SPD is undoubtedly the reigning champs, but NJJ's set design at circle had me outta my seat gotta give them a nod
Best Collegiate Team: Illini was clearly the best dancing team but I never liked the set. UCLA's blowout set was swaggy as hell. UNC and CMU are up there in terms of overall set/execution. Take from that what you will, I didn't think there was a clear-cut 'best' this year.
Favorite Male Dancer: Jagmeet SPD, Dhir FCB, Sumeet KPGD, Arun FS. If someone could mix all those dancers into one person, that dancer could win 1st dancing by themself
Favorite Female Dancer: Deepika Potarazu KPGD/FCB/whoever she's dancing with nowadays
Favorite Set: NJJ @ Circle City hands down, no contest

Most Overrated Team: NSG, they killed it at Burgh, not gonna take that away. But one win doesn't make a team the best in the country. Once they get consistent placings and multiple dope performances in more than one season, then the praise is warranted.
Most Underrated Team: FAUJ, once they get more than 10 dancers and execution goes up across the board they'll be lethal again.
Most Disappointing Team: I don't think any team disappointed me. Most teams performed more or less where I thought they were gonna be.
Most Improved Team: MBT, y'all went through a major brain drain from last year and came back swingin'
Most Well Run Comp: If anyone says anything other than Buckeye Mela you're dead wrong
Worst Run Comp: Burgh

Trends that should go:
- comps that don't have bhangra people running the comp
- comps bringing on judges because they have 'india experience' but not actual captain experience
- comps that don't let the new wave of captains judge comps
- teams jacking SPD's shit, the reason they look so good is cuz their execution is unreal. Any other teams without that dancing caliber looks gawdy tryna do the same thing
- folk peeps on BTF that don't explain their arguments sayin stuff like "folk is like explaining the color red to a blind person, it's not possible"

Where I think the circuit will go next year:
- After SPD just winning Bruin? More teams tryna jack SPDs style hahaha
- (shameless plug) hopefully more judges willing to come on the podcast to explain their placings at various comps

Disagree with NSG being overrated. Their sets aren’t out of the box, but their dancing and nakhra are some of the best in the US circuit

UmerQureshi96

Staff member
Disagree with NSG being overrated. Their sets aren’t out of the box, but their dancing and nakhra are some of the best in the US circuit
I don't disagree. Dancing is dope, nakhra is dope. But I've only seen that at two comps within a few months of each other. If they keep doing it, then I'll buy into the hype

sahab

I don't disagree. Dancing is dope, nakhra is dope. But I've only seen that at two comps within a few months of each other. If they keep doing it, then I'll buy into the hype
They consistently place, the number of comps they go to shouldn’t matter. Spd goes to 1 comp a year, so does NJJ.

UmerQureshi96

Staff member
They consistently place, the number of comps they go to shouldn’t matter. Spd goes to 1 comp a year, so does NJJ.
Lemme rephrase, I don't think their bad. Not at all. I think NSG is an upper tier team. But I hear peeps saying their the best team in US+Canada. I think that's wack. Canada is weird with the number of perfomances but they make sets and performances that make me sit my ass down in awe. I personally have not felt that with an NSG performance, might just be me. Am I biased because FCB lost to them...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ probably ngl. But it's just where I stand as of now

Sagz4Real

Best Coed Team: DRP, DDR
Best All Guys Team: NJ Joshiley, SPD, NSG
Best All Girls Team: SDS
Best US Team: NSG, Furteelay, FCB
Best Canadian Team: NJ Joshiley, SPD
Best Collegiate Team: DRP, Illin, MBT
Best Male Dancer: Daljeet Singh (NSG, Bulldog, GGW, BK)
Best Female Dancer: Shorter red on Royal Queenz @ Burgh
Best Mix: NJ Joshiley @ Circle City, SPD @ Bruin, NJ Waris @ Fever
Best Live Team: Folk is dead

Most Overrated Team: CMU, AEG
Most Underrated Team: Furteelay
Wdym Folk is dead???!!? Just look for competitons in North America or India like, Flower City Bhangra, Bhangra in the 6ix, and Bhangra Arena which almost all are posted on GTV