Advice for dancing to live singers

akhiller

Hey BTF! I was wondering if anyone has some advice about how to dance to a live singer + dholi. I'm looking for a clever way to do change up the choreo along with the dhol beat or something in each of his songs so that all dancers know what choreo to do based on the music without having to communicate while on stage. I also think it will be too complicated to memorize all 45 minutes ahead of time

J Wong

The key to dancing live is understanding the dhol. There are certain typical beats used for chaal, phumaniya, jugni, etc. The best advice I could give you would be to learn a few dhol beats and set choreo to them (i.e. if the dholi plays phumaniya just do a simple phumaniya). No communication is required just mindful attention to the dholi. <- this can carry over to dancing live in the event the dholi makes a mistake and adds or reduces the number of beats and the dancers compensate.

mithu

J Wong said:
The key to dancing live is understanding the dhol. There are certain typical beats used for chaal, phumaniya, jugni, etc. The best advice I could give you would be to learn a few dhol beats and set choreo to them (i.e. if the dholi plays phumaniya just do a simple phumaniya). No communication is required just mindful attention to the dholi. <- this can carry over to dancing live in the event the dholi makes a mistake and adds or reduces the number of beats and the dancers compensate.

It also depends on if the singer is actually singing or just lip syncing.
We had a singer lip sync and what we did then was just have someone lead and have other dancers follow. We kept the steps simple.