Article on Folkfit regarding the events from Rangla Punjab.

Discussion in 'Main Bhangra Discussion' started by Kaur, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Kaur

Kaur Active Member

2. sgrewal30

sgrewal30 Member

I agree, it is getting too competitive. But not for everyone. It can go either way. Winning or losing can either make a team really cocky or humble. A good example of a humble team is BK. Win or Lose they are respectful and accepting of their placing. I think we all put in so much time and effort into this that we forget we're doing it because we love to dance and start feeling cheated when it goes unnoticed or we dont place. Money has a lot to do with it as well. It's not as easy for new teams to start out now, as it was a few years ago. Reg. fees are in the 100-200 price range, plus other stuff like hotels and vardiyan, sometimes flights, it all adds up so it puts pressure on teams to win more to compensate for the money spent. From my own experience at competitions though, this type of stuff isn't an ongoing epidemic or anything. It happens from time to time, but not enough to shift the whole dynamic. There are so many bright individuals in the circuit who's positive attitudes rub off on others instantly. I've always felt so cheerful and happy during competition weekends because everyone around is so loving. Lets just hope the most recent example of competition rage is the last, and the competitions and teams who are doing good and being so humble continue to be better each year.

3. Sue Sylvester

Sue Sylvester kinnell

The problem is poor sportsmanship, not competitiveness. The latter inaccurately puts the blame on the "game" while the former accurately pinpoints the "player" as the source of the problem.

The aforementioned event is not a result of the circuit becoming too competitive. In fact, the competitiveness and rivalries have driven and motivated the genre forward to new levels. It's a result of individuals who need to mature as human beings and understand when/how to vent their disagreements.

4. Bhangradance

Bhangradance New Member

I agree somewhat with sgrewal, that this type of stuff does occur in the bhangra circuit time to time. There are many incidents that have occured which can prove that these types of things happen when teams feel robbed.

For example (just to list a few):
    SGPD at Burgh (caused a scene)
    SGPD and NJ at Bhangra Idols 2011(broke trophy and "suck it " gesture)
    Panj at Norcal (apparently glued doors, damaged venue, and began a btf forum discussion against Norcal)
    PCBCA at VIBC Next (refused to accept trophy and caused a scene)
    Surrey India Arts (famous incident of "pushing organizers" )
    UBC at Bash (thought they deserved to place and caused a scene....rumour that they threatened organizers)

This shows us that competition does sometimes get to the heads of teams and makes them behave in a poor manner. Hence, competitions are going to be competitions....all we need to do is learn from these mistakes.

5. Saleem

Saleem Active Member Staff Member

First of all, while I remember some of these events, I'm not familiar with all of them and I'm not confirming that all of these teams have done what's listed above because I simply do not know. So no team should take this as an attack on them. That said, not to kick the hornets nest, but there's a rather obvious common characteristic between these teams listed above.

Do you think the lack of sportsmanship is seen more commonly with Canadian teams? Or is it the independent nature of the teams (rather than university affiliation which is more common in the US)?

I'll go hide in a corner now.

6. a.bajwa7

a.bajwa7 New Member

The fact that they are all Canadian is indeed a common characteristic but I believe it's not the one that should be identified in this situation. Another common theme here is that all of these teams are winning/decorated clubs.

When a team wins(1st or 2nd) often and all of a sudden gets 3rd or doesn't place, they see it as an insult to their pride (at least that's what I would think). Probably way off base with that statement but it seems relatively reasonable to me that the reason they flip out is because they are sore losers and aren't used to losing. Some people accept it, some cry, others vandalize/threaten/argue/fight. To each their own.

Hopefully we can grow up as a community and stop with this nonsense. Bhangra is an art-form and meant to be enjoyed. Anyways, see y'all at Jashan.

7. faizan

faizan Just shut up and dance

The culture of dance academies in canada breeds this type of behavior...it's a matter of coaches and older leaders being positive and teaching sportsmanship. It has been the elephant in the room on the circuit for years. But, American teams have been discussing this behind closed doors every time another Canadian team acts out. It is what it is.

the moral of the story: Bhangra is not that serious...

8. Kaur

Kaur Active Member

In Canada kids start of very young, they are recruited into competitive teams at the age of 12-13. A lot of the time these kids are taught to not want nothing but first and to not be friendly to other teams, I've seen it with my own eyes . A lot of the roots of North American bhangra were embedded in Canada by people who came straight off of Bhangra teams in India with that hardcore mentality which I believe carried itself through to the next generation.

I have owners of clubs speaking to the parents of the younger girls on my team and telling them to quit and join their academy because the comps we compete at are worthless.

I agree that the problem lies with the leaders not teaching sportsmanship.

9. Saleem

Saleem Active Member Staff Member

@a.bajwa7 I disagree with you, and the counter point is that there are plenty of winning teams in the US, who are used to placing, who don't throw tantrums when they don't place as expected.

I agree with faizan and hkiran that, if you're going to tout the authority and amazingness of your 'academy', you better have leaders who teach you the right things, like sportsmanship. That said, most people in this circuit are adults and, as such, need to take responsibility for their actions. "We were never taught not to act like toddlers" doesn't fly in the real world.

10. puneethv29

puneethv29 New Member

I agree about the academies. This is not at all an attack on anyone, but I was at GHG in Fresno last year, and Nachde Shokeen refused to accept the 3rd place trophy. And this was at a high school competition. It's a little concerning to see.

11. sgrewal30

sgrewal30 Member

I agree ^ It does seem like it has alot to do with pride.

12. a.bajwa7

a.bajwa7 New Member

Yeah you are right that there are plenty of winning teams but the point I was trying to get at was simply that the list of teams that were mentioned are very decorated. Didn't want to imply anything about Canadian teams being better or whatever.
    Sorry, should have clarified.
    But I agree with you, when American teams don't place they don't throw tantrums because, like you mentioned earlier, they are affiliated with post-secondary institutions? I see where you're coming from.

13. Ashveer

Ashveer New Member

I'm pretty sure that's not it.