• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

BTF Mixing Challenge - Season 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Now that school is back in session for a decent amount of people, let's bring back the Mixing Challenge? I think its about the right time. Been itching to see what people come up with next!

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
the feasibility of the ladder all depends on the availability of trusted users to mod the thing. it's a pain in the ass to manage all the emails and posts and files and whatnot. i personally would not do it again. can't speak for the other former mods, though.

Jusi.Sahota

Hopefully theres a season 2. Defo would participate ona weekly basis, as long as the subject isnt too complex. lol

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Glad to see some interest in Season 2! The overall purpose of the ladder was to provide the BTF audience with some fresh music/beats to jam to during the summer, hear some creative work from up & coming mixers, and basically provide something to look forward to during the bhangra "off season" (ideally the beginning of June through the beginning of October).

As vox stated though, Season 1 of the ladder required A LOT of manual management from the mixing ladder mods including Swi & myself. It also caused a lot of frustration for many us running the ladder when we had mixers not doing their part or not even responding.

At the end of Season 1 of the mixing ladder, we did brainstorm a few ways to make this a more streamline process in the future (Season 2 onward). We definitely do hope to bring back a Season 2 of the ladder, because I know many people enjoyed it (mixers actually received some helpful feedback, the BTF audience got to hear mixes that they probably would never hear elsewhere, and overall it displayed how much talent is out there from DJ's/mixers you might or might not be familiar with).

I also received some PM's/e-mails with suggestions, promotional opportunities, and asking if we would bring it back (some new people wanted to participate). Once again, we would love to deliver Season 2 of BTF's Mixing Ladder, but it will most likely next year during the off season - hopefully we come up with some ways to automate this further.

~ Basim :)

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
I think the solution is to move towards group challenges rather than ladder.

1. Set up a challenge or theme
2. Interested DJs submit by deadline
3. Post submissions to BTF soundcloud
4. Thread for the challenge with attached poll

I would vote for a monthly challenge to keep it easy and clean. 2 weeks to make the mix, 2 weeks to vote. Rinse and repeat.

This effort is far less for ladder admin and allows more people to mix since there's no barrier. Plus we can pick only good songs/ideas and reduce the filler concepts.

Newer DJs will spend more time and have an avenue to show off, older DJs will probably not put as much effort but by involvement will give credence to the project and get people to listen to at least some stuff.

This also allows us to reach out to DJs not active on BTF and ask them to participate since the 2 week window gives plenty of time, and the nature of the format is less personal.

thoughts?

A.JAGGI

two weeks seems like a good amount of time and the soundcloud thing is a really good idea

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
I like the idea of group challenges Swi. Also, I like the idea of moving toward a monthly format that's a whole lot easier to manage than like 8 one-on-one mini challenges every 2 weeks for mixing mods to micro manage. During Season 1, I was always an advocate of slowing things down (providing more time to mixers & more time for voting) rather than speeding things up - so I'm with you all on the way on changing the format to be monthly, lol.

Also if we allow 2 weeks to mix, maybe allowing up to 2 minutes per mix would be a lot better. Often times, it seemed 1 minute was a hard for mixers to abide by or really get their creative juices flowing.

My only question would be how we would determine overall rankings if we are grouping people per challenge. Let's say there are 30 mixers total participating and we have five groups of 6 DJ's/Mixers per song.. the winners of each group would be determined once per month... so how does one winner know if than better or worse than a winner in a different group?

Saab

Today is a gift
Basim said:
I like the idea of group challenges Swi. Also, I like the idea of moving toward a monthly format that's a whole lot easier to manage than like 8 one-on-one mini challenges every 2 weeks for mixing mods to micro manage. During Season 1, I was always an advocate of slowing things down (providing more time to mixers & more time for voting) rather than speeding things up - so I'm with you all on the way on changing the format to be monthly, lol.

Also if we allow 2 weeks to mix, maybe allowing up to 2 minutes per mix would be a lot better. Often times, it seemed 1 minute was a hard for mixers to abide by or really get their creative juices flowing.

My only question would be how we would determine overall rankings if we are grouping people per challenge. Let's say there are 30 mixers total participating and we have five groups of 6 DJ's/Mixers per song.. the winners of each group would be determined once per month... so how does one winner know if than better or worse than a winner in a different group?

So...

1. Two weeks for voting process(votes and tabulation)
2. Winners announced at the end of two weeks.
3. While process starts anew and we go back to the two week development process, voting starts for all group winners

Pros:

1. You are assuming the best product wins, so its good exposure for a dj/mixing ladder and draws more plays
2. Individuals are given a month to critically evaluate winners while not slowing down the development process
3. Something is always happening with the mixing ladder, making it an attractive listening option for non-btfers(frequent content drops are a plus)
4. Assuming there is a community push for listening to the winners, you create a more enticing option for djs to take the ladder seriously.

Thoughts?

nkrishnan

The new format sounds good, I think it makes a lot more sense and is less work to organize. I wouldn't mind helping to orchestrate this

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
As long as people are interested, I'll set a bit of time again this year to help moderate it. A new format would be a nice change. Last year's trial run was kinda' rough but this year should be manageable now that most of us know the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.