BTF Version update

Saleem

Staff member
You may have noticed a couple weeks ago that BTF's user experience improved a little bit. We went to a beta release of a new forum version. This morning we upgraded to the final release. Mostly small improvements, but FYI here are the changes (via xenforo):

• Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers (this is currently disabled. Let me know if you're interested in turning this on. this is unfortunately not a native iOS/Android app, but browser notifications)
  • Editor button management
  • Enhanced editor integration and advanced BB code option syntax
  • Markdown support
  • Tables
  • Reactions
  • URL unfurling
  • Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
  • Video uploads
  • Approval queue improvements
  • Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
  • Content bookmarking and sharing
  • A fully featured REST API
  • One click XenForo upgrades and easier add-on installation
  • BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

Saleem

Staff member
Regarding push notifications
If enabled, a user will be able to subscribe to receive their alerts via devices which are compatible with the Push API. Users will only be able to enable push notifications if they are using a compatible device. This is supported by most major browsers except Safari on macOS and any browser on iOS.
I would need to buy an SSL license to run HTTPS which I can do, just figuring if people want this feature.

yomamajama

If you need people to chip in funds, just send a request. I’d be willing to chip in, appreciative of all your and Basim’s hard work in maintaining this site.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Thank you Saleem for keeping the site upgraded. I love the additions of emjois and search/selection. I especially love the new reactions we have if you hover over the "Like" button!

For those who are visual people, here is some more information on a few of the new features that were implemented: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/unfurling-urls-emoji-enhancements-and-video-uploads.154986/

We don't have video uploads enabled at the moment, but if there is interest in using it, that's an easy setting to flip. I know we mainly share videos on BTF from 3rd party sources (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo, etc).

Let any of the mods know if there any of the features that you feel will be beneficial or if there are missing features you would like to see implemented and we can certainly look into it.

~ Basim :)