• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Capital Bhangra at Maryland Mauj 2019

dpotarazu

Hi BTF!

Capital Bhangra is a new independent team based out of Washington, DC.
Here's our performance at Maryland Mauj! We had a great time and got lots of great feedback about ways to improve going forward. This is our second competition as a team so we're definitely still learning what our strengths and weaknesses are. Any feedback ya'll have will help us grow in the future.

Wanna give a few quick shoutouts:
- HUGE thanks to KM for a FIRE mix that fit our choreo like a glove and was a blast to dance to
- thanks to bradley ji and kavin ji for making some dope formations and working with me even when I'm annoying (which is always)
- thanks to our out of town crew. ya'll are the real OGs. working hard and traveling for practice isn't easy. many thanks to you guys
- many thanks to Victoria Lewis for making it possible for us to have practice places and also having our own vardiyaan
- thanks to Dholi Mankaran for being a boss and tying paghs for us and to VT bhangra for coming in super clutch and letting us use some paghs
- also thanks to UNC for letting use their khunde!

want to give a huge shoutout to Sumeet Jindal, Kuntal Shah, Sid Pandit, Ram Mahalingam, Umer Qureshi and Saagar Menon -- you guys taught me for so many years with so much patience and I couldn't have started a team without the invaluable lessons you guys gave me. You were hard on me everyday and pushed me to my limit. I am nowhere near you guys and have a ton to learn but I'm luckier than most to have some of the best teachers in the circuit.

also little bit of a shameless plug -- we are working on getting a larger local cohort so if you're in DC (or even close to the DMV area) and want to dance please please hit me up!

Much love,
Deepika

Jodis:
Red: Brad Rosenblum and Tejasee Phatak
Purple: Saikrishna Kalla and Ashley Espinoza
Pink: Ace Motas and Shahana Ganesharajah
Ferozi: Kavin Sanghavi and Angela Luo
Black: Kanaai Shah and Jay Rathinavelu
Blue: Bashier Baten and Deepika Potarazu

Last edited:

sdadoo15

Staff member
One thing that amazed me about both this and Burgh was the level of execution for such a difficult set. My legs were hurting watching all the betke and just when I thought you were going to take a break, something else happened. So serious props to the dancers for being able to even complete these sets, let alone kill them!

I thought this set was very well-made, and one of the issues I had about the Burgh set was that the individual ideas were there, but the complete set was missing. And I thought this time around, you guys really sold your ideas well and made them flow with regards to a complete set. Look forward to what you all do in the future, because Burgh set and this set had some very creative and original ideas!