• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

CSUN Bhangra Competition is back

csunsac

Bhangra teams,

The CSUN Bhangra competition is back to CSUN and it is being organized by the students of CSUN. This year's competition will be on March 14th, 2009. To get a copy of the registration form email the CSUN South Asia Club (SAC) at csunsac@gmail.com

registration fee is $150.00, which shall only be accepted if the team is selected to compete.

1st prize - $1500 + trophy
2nd prize - $1000 + trophy
3rd prize - $750 + trophy

csunsac

true! but thats when SAC (headed by Mr. Raman Chadha) organized it.

SAC has no affiliation with SoCal Bhangra anymore, and therefore the new board of SAC is taking action to revive the CSUN Bhangra Competition.

Why do u think they had to change the name to SoCal?

Temurzai

i think prize money should go more like

1st $2000
2nd $1000
3rd $500

and all that without gettin taxed!

good luck tho! maybe i can roll to this one, well see

csunsac

taxed....?

lol.... we here at SAC are not looking for any profits, hence - a non profit organization!

therefore, as far as i know... no prize money will be taxed!=)

csunsac

Akhil,

hope u got my reply. if you have any further questions, feel free to ask in here.

thank you

csunsac

the proposed deadline is jan 20th, but we shall be extending it to the end of the month.

also, jus to let everyone know - the eligibility requirement is that the MAJORITY of the team's members have to be over the age of 18.

csunsac

well... mainly coz we want this to be more of a college level competition. we didnt want to fall under any particular category such as junior or senior. we want to keep this to be an intercollegiate competition and therefore want the majority of the members to be over 18. we understand that some teams have one or two members that might be under 18, and we didnt want to exclude those teams jus bcoz their whole team wasnt over 18.

moreover... u have to be 18 to come to the afterparty!=)

csunsac

we started jan 1st and tried to mail as many bhangra teams as we could. we ran into issues regarding our website and wont have that up for a while. thats why we are mailing in the reg form to everyone.

Temurzai

csunsac said:
taxed....?

lol.... we here at SAC are not looking for any profits, hence - a non profit organization!

therefore, as far as i know... no prize money will be taxed!=)
actually it happens left n right, where the prize money announced isnt wats given to the teams, rather a smal portion is deducted. i think there was a discussion on durin fall...possibly involving burgh? i forgot wat comp it was...

thats why i asked! :)

csunsac

the competition will be held at the performing arts center at the California State University, Northridge (CSUN)