• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

♫♫ DCBC @ Motor City Bhangra 2016 MIX ♫♫

kman58

Did you make the beat/melody in the intro yourself or is it sampled from a hiphop song? It's dope (I just feel like the delay on the first few chord progressions is overdone causing the downbeat to drag a little)
Overall this mix is ridiculously clean. The stereo panning is fantastic and you make very good use of stereo-width. Great song selection too. Couple little comments:
At ~2:06, the volume drops significantly and this can be seen in the waveform on soundcloud. Simple fix though (just amp up that segment a little bit or push the limiter a little harder). In jhoomer when the dhol comes in I feel like it can be layered a little better with the rest of the song (maybe use a filter sweep in the dhol buildup to make its appearance more natural). Perhaps apply a high pass filter on the dhol to cut out some of that muddy low end (unless you've already done that and I'm just talking crazy). I dig the jugni drop, but the transition from jugni into moohoo boldi I would've personally liked less stop/go, with a little more continuity between the two tracks, perhaps with even a simple riser/drop (btw, name of dhamaal/jugni track? it's dope). Finally, some of your stop/go moments have unwanted clicks/pops (ex. before your G-Singh tag when the music cuts out, I can clearly hear a pop, same thing at 3:16, very apparent). Check your fades out of tracks and see that there's no clicking there.
Most of these suggestions are easy fixes and some are personal preferences. Congratulations on another great mix man, I hope my comments were helpful, and if you'd like to discuss anything further feel free to shoot me a PM. I definitely feel like people don't offer enough critiques of mixes here anymore aside from the "this is straight fire" comment. Respect.

GSingh

kman58 said:
Did you make the beat/melody in the intro yourself or is it sampled from a hiphop song? It's dope (I just feel like the delay on the first few chord progressions is overdone causing the downbeat to drag a little)
Overall this mix is ridiculously clean. The stereo panning is fantastic and you make very good use of stereo-width. Great song selection too. Couple little comments:
At ~2:06, the volume drops significantly and this can be seen in the waveform on soundcloud. Simple fix though (just amp up that segment a little bit or push the limiter a little harder). In jhoomer when the dhol comes in I feel like it can be layered a little better with the rest of the song (maybe use a filter sweep in the dhol buildup to make its appearance more natural). Perhaps apply a high pass filter on the dhol to cut out some of that muddy low end (unless you've already done that and I'm just talking crazy). I dig the jugni drop, but the transition from jugni into moohoo boldi I would've personally liked less stop/go, with a little more continuity between the two tracks, perhaps with even a simple riser/drop (btw, name of dhamaal/jugni track? it's dope). Finally, some of your stop/go moments have unwanted clicks/pops (ex. before your G-Singh tag when the music cuts out, I can clearly hear a pop, same thing at 3:16, very apparent). Check your fades out of tracks and see that there's no clicking there.
Most of these suggestions are easy fixes and some are personal preferences. Congratulations on another great mix man, I hope my comments were helpful, and if you'd like to discuss anything further feel free to shoot me a PM. I definitely feel like people don't offer enough critiques of mixes here anymore aside from the "this is straight fire" comment. Respect.

Thanks a bunch for your comments man. Really helps to get some thorough feedback like that. The volume thing at 2:06 was a very hard decision. It's low on the waveform due to the lack of width. Increasing the volume at the empty vocal, then crushing it down to allow room for the beat made it sound less powerful (I like my sound to explode :p) -- the contrast between quiet and loud is what drove that decision, but I can definitely see why that would be a point of critique. I'll def have you comb through the next mix :D.

kman58

GSingh said:
Thanks a bunch for your comments man. Really helps to get some thorough feedback like that. The volume thing at 2:06 was a very hard decision. It's low on the waveform due to the lack of width. Increasing the volume at the empty vocal, then crushing it down to allow room for the beat made it sound less powerful (I like my sound to explode :p) -- the contrast between quiet and loud is what drove that decision, but I can definitely see why that would be a point of critique. I'll def have you comb through the next mix :D.
For sure boss, glad my comments were well received. If you don't mind I'll definitely send you my next mix before I put it to stage as well. Constructive feedback is hard to come by. Cheers!

Jusi.Sahota

Fire mix! For some-one whose been in the mix game a while, this is really well done. Can someone pls tell me the name of the song at 2:02 and the R&B beat behind it?

GSingh

Jusi.Sahota said:
Fire mix! For some-one whose been in the mix game a while, this is really well done. Can someone pls tell me the name of the song at 2:02 and the R&B beat behind it?

E=MC - Sahelian
AO - Afterparty is the beat