• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Dhol Presence in Mix

aarnipalli

Hello,
I wanted to ask how to increase the presence of the Dhol in a mix, without simply increasing the volume. I tried compression, EQ and excitation, but I am not getting the result that I would like. I work in Logic Pro X and I use all stock plugins. Any help would be much appreciated!

Tarun Sehmi

id definitely say it could be to do with the other sounds that share the same frequency band that your dhol predominantly is EQued to. Try quietening those aspects to let it punch through if compression and volume increase has not done the trick. This is just a suggestion without listening to the mix, hopefully it helps

Tarun Sehmi

Hello,
I wanted to ask how to increase the presence of the Dhol in a mix, without simply increasing the volume. I tried compression, EQ and excitation, but I am not getting the result that I would like. I work in Logic Pro X and I use all stock plugins. Any help would be much appreciated!
if you want to share a snippet of the track so i can hear to try and see what the problem is that could be helpful. I understand if you dont want to though ?

musicbyphantom

So with dhols, you have the two major frequencies of the bass range and the high-mid/high range. What you can try and do is separate the two ranges via EQs (your subtractive EQs), then pump the ranges of those tracks (additive EQs). You can then compress individually, trying to avoid your phasing of the overlapping eqs and try and use something like a stereo imager to widen the dhol sound. It goes without saying the quality of the sound you're using matters too. You can polish a turd but it'll still be a turd (Not saying you are but for the sake of the point). Usually I'll have two seperate eqs for each side of a dhol. One for subtractive and one for additive. Usually start with subtractive cause it's easier for me. Once I've EQ'd, I'll compress (possibly multiband compress too), then mess around with the stereo imaging and add reverb or a limiter depending on how it sounds.

Amarsbar

What I do is use sidechain compression so that whenever the kick is not bumping, the sound of the dhol cuts through the mix by increasing the gain.

To give my dhols that fat/hi-fi sound (similar to how the dhol sounds in Sukshinder shinda's tracks with Jazzy B), I use a multiband compressor and compress the mids down a bit and keep and increase gain on the high and low ends.

I also use an Enveloper to increase attack on the dhol just so that the treble (tilli) side of the dhol can pop out of the mix

chunny

is there any tutorial video were you can find how to blend your Dhol with your songs/beats so the mix sounds smooth no crashing like how most well experienced dj do it