• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

★★★★★ FAUJ @ Boston Bhangra Competition 2014 ★★★★★

Cherag

We would like to thank everyone who came out to support us at BBC this year - this performance was for all of you! And a special shoutout to Anisha for being an amazing liason.

FAUJ @ Boston Bhangra Competition 2014

Jodis -
Red: Cherag Selhi & Vipul Chawla
Blue: Deep Deb & Ankit Sood
Green: Anurag Selhi & Ullas Rao
Orange: Jake Kallarackal & Derek Kallarackal
Yellow: Vishal Patel & Param Chopra
Purple: Krishna Soni & Asees Binepal

Ravi M

I am very curious to know how this didn't place. Choreo was extremely intricate, energy level was super high, and all the gimmicks hit and hit hard ( I watched the fire 5 times!) This was one stellar performance, and imo the best of all the ones I've seen from this competition. Great job guys, can't wait to see what you have in store for the spring!

sumeetj

when you watch a set and wonder "if this placed first or second, would anyone have complained?" - then there is probably some concern. can't obviously speak for the rubric/judging but you guys executed amazingly well as a team as always. i personally would be curious to see what a set with less variations would look like now from you guys (kinda like your vpd/bayside sets from 2012, i think those are my favs) but you guys think of some cool stuff.

VD

Vip destroyed it. You guys did great. Respect for a great performance means more than a placing sometimes, just like in this case. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Reeeeda

holy choreo creativity and complexity :eek:

VD said:
Respect for a great performance means more than a placing sometimes, just like in this case.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]V[/font]D said it right. Saw all the vids and I feel badly that you guys didn't place. BBC judging is notorious for being unpredictable as we all know. It's safe to say that FAUJ should've been somewhere in that top 3. Looking forward to you guys being rewarded appropriately the next time around.

faizan

Just shut up and dance
Fuck placing, FAUJ is too nasty.

This set was intricate, clean and entertaining. Keep your heads high, cuz everyone knows inside their heart that u guys held it down.

Saab

Today is a gift
Set was executed at a high level and I saw no dancing mistakes. I don't recognize half the team and it was still the same calibre of dancers. I won't comment on placings till I see all the placing teams, but I can see why this won tdot and am curious what the judges didn't see in this set. To me it has great creativity and complexity and good energy throughout, which is a staple of placing teams.

Big fan of saaps, jhoomer and the very end. I think some parts were less impactful and focused on variation, causing me to lose connection to the set(ex. Wasn't a huge fan of Mirza or chaffa variation, but the way you continuously kill betkes as a team, especially the betkes and spins in saaps, is powerful). However, everything was executed at a high level and really had a unique style. Props to continuously doing your thing and great performance.

SGupta7

Great set. Deserved a placing for me. Been a fan of fauj for a while now and I think what impresses me more than the intricacy of the choreo and variations is the intricacy of the formations. You guys are rarely standing still and there are times when i'm legitimately confused on how you transition from one formation to something so different so seamlessly. There's a really nice flow and it seems like you guys put a ton of thought into your set and making sure its well-balanced. Fire gimmick was nice too, watched it multiple times.

I gotta disagree with Ram on one point though. This was the first performance where I saw stylistic differences between dancers. I thought yellow jodi looked different at times than the rest of the team, which was a surprise to me because usually everyone's movements are so precise. Also, y'all should definitely bring back Baby Doll haha

Other than that, really fun to watch. Cherag, you killed it as always man and Kinnell, looking forward to seeing you do a full routine again soon haha

Aditya

Haven't seen all the videos so I'm not going to comment on whether this should have placed or not. I loved the sap segment. Wished the lights had been on in the beginning so we could have seen everything you guys were doing because it was tight haha. You guys have also always had very clean and energetic performances (this one included) so the following comments are going to be more related to what I, personally, wasn't a huge fan of or think should be improved.

Saab said:
I think some parts were less impactful and focused on variation, causing me to lose connection to the set(ex. Wasn't a huge fan of Mirza or chaffa variation, but the way you continuously kill betkes as a team, especially the betkes and spins in saaps, is powerful).
Agreed. It seemed as the set went on that I was seeing variations on variations of variations, to the point where they lost impact and, as Ram put it, I lost connection with the set. There were times where I kept asking myself "why are they doing that?" or "what's the point of this?" I also feel that this led to insufficient build-up when you hit the climax of certain segments because everything before, during and after was a variation/changeup. Consequently, many segments were just hard to remember because they had no defining moment and didn't leave enough of a lasting impression.

SGupta7 said:
Been a fan of fauj for a while now and I think what impresses me more than the intricacy of the choreo and variations is the intricacy of the formations. You guys are rarely standing still and there are times when i'm legitimately confused on how you transition from one formation to something so different so seamlessly.
I actually disagree with Shawn on this. You guys had a lot of movement and you had some nice touches, switches, rotations, etc., but again, there isn't a formation from this set that left a lasting impression. I was glad to see you guys move further away from the army gimmick in this performance and really emphasize the dancing...but that necessitates that you come up with more formations that are unique or memorable. A few segments in which a formation idea is introduced, built out, and seen through to the finish would go a VERY long way. The VCU of old and JJ were probably the best at doing this and while I am NOT saying you should be just like them, it might be helpful to incorporate a few of those elements to strengthen your sets. You've shown in the past that you're capable of doing this too (the Look Lak segment that you did at Bell 2013 is by far my favorite FAUJ segment).

As far as the dancing goes, you guys continue to do a pretty good job of making sure people are on the same level and dance with josh and energy. My only complaint is that too often I see dancers with hunched backs or chins stuck to their chests. IMO, posture is the most important thing for every dancer to focus on. Kinnell has always done this consistently for your team and I think more people need to emulate how he does that. If some of the energy you guys used was directed to keeping your backs straight and chins up at all times, I think it would really throw your dancing over the top.

Those are just my two cents. All that being said, FAUJ is still one of the better teams in the circuit today and you do so many things right that other teams don't and clearly put a great deal of thought into your routines. Good luck at future competitions!

scaplash

Husky Bhangra (retired); KWG; GR
I agree with many of the points Aditya made in regards to this set. Formations and choreography were really unique, but at points there was variation to the point where it didn't "hit" or lost its hype.
I watched it live and was amazed by the level of unique choreography. In watching it a little bit closer to the stage, something that can be lost in watching the video is the discrepancy in terms of naachre among dancers. A lot of the better dancers had a way of executing the set in a way that made it seem effortless whereas some of the newer dancers were executing the choreo, but showed expressions of fatigue or strain in doing so.
Overall, I really enjoyed watching the set live, and can't wait to see what FAUJ brings next!

KushK

Shikka segment was on point!

Pardi Hundi C- I was waiting for a team to use it and clearly you guys destroyed, OH MAN!

Cherag, you on that jugni windup was just breathtaking.

LEAVE MAJOR SOORMA off of stage and ALL IS WELL Great job tho boys, one of the best sets of the night. Keep it up and see you all real soon ;)

gabrunakitheynipunjabvarg

ne rissaaa punjab di ah
When you Watch a comp you usually see a variety of teams, some will come up with crazy sets that are super fast and very difficult to accomplish, while others will take no risks and keep a clean folk set and emphasize the skill of their dancers. So when I watched this set i was expecting your usual gimmick set (that i also love and don't mean it in a bad way), but soon saw that you guys found the perfect equilibrium for FAUJ all the dancers looked Sick ( shout out to the east maninder Bainz) and the mix was super wicked! i can easily state that this is my new favorite Fauj routine and even though i have no idea what the rubric for Boston was, if it had anything to do with having a well executed set with high energy and keeping the audience and judges entertained, FAUJ should have placed! Good Job Team Get ready for the next round (copyright call of duty) :)

sstakhar

I'd heard amazing things since TDot and now i see why haha, from the mix to the choreo and execution, loved the set! Pardi Hundi C segment was a personal fav, felt this performance was placeworthy

On a sidenote congrats on TDot!! Was awesome kicking it with you guys all weekend and especially at afterparty

Bajwa99

"Too Many Rookies Not Enough Gabroos"
3:08 to the breakdown was dope af!!

Deff should've placed guys, keep it up tho!!

tigerstyle

The set was very entertaining indeed. The mix was done very well. The choreography done in this set is pretty damn good. Haven't seen anything like it in a while. New steps too. But something keeps bothering me about this set.

At the end, everyone starts losing their energy. I'm not going to point any fingers but one of the main jodi was not even lifting their legs.
When the soldiers came out, they boosted the energy level tremendously. But I think this prop is starting to get old (when people come out at the end to finish the ending strong.)

7/10 performance.

jusabc

Official American Bhangra Championship
THE BEST TEAM EVER - GO FAUJ.
One of the most professional, talented and competitive teams.

This is an amazing performance Boys.

Regards

ishaankolluri

This was a great performance. I enjoyed the energy of the red and blue jodis a lot, and the choreo was smooth as hell.

If anyone know what the song from 4:03 - 4:25 is, I would love to know! Goosebump worthy imo.

I'm confused as to why this didn't place, but either I'm missing something that FS/NSG had or DRP came out with some thunder that I have yet to see on video. As a young dancer, this video is amazing for me - to model great energy, and contribute creativity to my own team. Always looking forward to seeing more.

Ishaan