• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Help: Translation from punjabi to english

pritpal94

Re: Kashni?

Argnabh said:
Really interesting answers and informative stuff...

What does "Kashni" mean? As in nee ik meri akh kaashni? Is that the color of someone's eye?
I think it means someone with nice eyes.

sprite

Re: Bakre Balaunde?

Gehre-means roaming around someone or something
Nachna Onda Ni- cant dance
What does the main lines in Char Panj mean? Char Panj is 4 5, right? What are Nirmal and Ms. Pooja singing about?-yup
Naseebo-it means something like beautiful, derived from the word "naseeb"
Chanday-?
Suhe Suhe-?
Doriya- i heavy chunni, or something like that
Bagge Bagge-?
Does Bas Kar mean Stop?-yea lol
Boli Pani? My hindi/gujju translation is getting "Speaking Water". I dont think that's right.-hahahaha speaking water lol..naw it means "to want to sing a boli"
Dhulla-dhulla was a guy with a somewhat historic background. you have to listen to the rdb song properly
Hawawaan - Does this have to do with wind?-yes
Shera Dhi Korm-a lions background or a lions ways (its kaum, not korm)
Shera Vargi Jaan... I cant figure out Vargi...vargi means "like"---life like a lion, or heart like a lion i guess
Main line of Phattey Chak De (one of my favs) but I dont remember how it goes- generally, it means "pick up the wooden items" hahhaa...but in slang, i guess it means..."throw it downnnnnn" lol

Thanks again guys. You rock. :)

[/quote]

sprite

pritpal94 said:
Argnabh said:

What does "Kashni" mean? As in nee ik meri akh kaashni? Is that the color of someone's eye?

i think "kashni" is a specific color...

like kashni dupatte valiye
or ni ek teri akh kashni

(i think its green but im not sure)

Kanvar

Why So Jaloose?
in the song naseebo the word naseebo is the name of the girl.

so the 2 lines right before the chorus and then the chorus are basically saying:

with a sling [ galaal ] shot he hits it ( it being the pot that she uses to carry water)
laughing laughing (hasdee hasdee)
naseebo's pot breaks [ ghara toteya naseebo da]
but it (like the shards of the pot) missed her feet [paira thak ah bihjgee paira thak ah bihjgee]

sorry for my bad punjabi words written in english

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the specific translation/connotation of 'majajne'... I've heard from youthful (in a female sense) to 'curvaceous' women lol thnx

rajkaran

Kanvar said:

so the 2 lines right before the chorus and then the chorus are basically saying:

with a sling [ galaal ] shot he hits it ( it being the pot that she uses to carry water)
but it (like the shards of the pot) missed her feet [paira thak ah bihjgee paira thak ah bihjgee]

WOW...THAT's wat he's saying!? my mother was WAY OFF!

Kanvar

Why So Jaloose?
yeha i'm pretty sure cus its one of my dad's favorite songs....along with furrr haha

i was asking him what it meant and he was laughing for like 5 minutes before he could calm down to tell me...he just keep on saying "fuuuurrrrrrr....sala panchod"

Amanpaul

rajkaran said:
Kanvar said:

WOW...THAT's wat he's saying!? my mother was WAY OFF!
everything is right up till the last line [paira thak pijhgee paira thak pijhgee]
it means that the water from the broken pot has drenched her whole body (up to her feet).

[Sher] Imran

if i am not mistaken, majajne is a term used to address/refer to a woman. Majaj is a pind, and a lot of people throw on their pind as their "last name" instead of repping their caste (i.e. hussainpuri, bindrakhia, etc). i think the term majajne sort of morphed from meaning "from majaj" into "beautiful/mysterious woman"

anyone know the proper trans of chan jeha?

Jabar Jung

[Sher] Imran said:
if i am not mistaken, majajne is a term used to address/refer to a woman. Majaj is a pind, and a lot of people throw on their pind as their "last name" instead of repping their caste (i.e. hussainpuri, bindrakhia, etc). i think the term majajne sort of morphed from meaning "from majaj" into "beautiful/mysterious woman"
Well i think majajne comes from the word mijaz, added punjab accent mijaj= Style

pluthra

ive nvrr read this topic and its greattt

sprite said:
pritpal94 said:
Argnabh said:

i think "kashni" is a specific color...

like kashni dupatte valiye
or ni ek teri akh kashni

(i think its green but im not sure)
i think kashni is blue----like the sky kashni? rite isnt kashni sky or something

Dippy

Argnabh said:
Meistro said:
loll this post made me chuckle..........bakre balounde basically means BRUAHHHHHH........it shows a youthful jubilation in the farmer's son's activities during auspicious events.
Thanks buddy....since we have the topic going...what do these following phrases mean:

1) GhainTe walla
2) Jeere walla (someone who sells Cumin seeds?)
that was too cute!!! "someone who sell cumin seeds!!! " :D :D :D :D :D

I think its spelled "kanthe wala". Isn't that the little black stringed necklace with the gold/silver thing in the middle. I just think of the song kanthe wala puche tere naa... I'm not sure though..

ban3rg

yea kainthe-wala is "the one with a kaintha" or the gold necklace. Kaintha is the bigger one which hangs lower and has like a circular or heart-shaped pendant.

taveet is a short necklace, more like a choker, tigher around the neck with a rectangular/cylindrical pendant.

it isn't jeera wala its cheere waaliya - i've heard different definitions of this but i think it has to do with "he who has a nice pagh or nice larrs (layers) in his pagh or something," maybe something to do with color red?

VaRun59

Meistro said:
Mariam said:
anakh = pride but a bit more like a cocky pride (as opposed to honor-type pride), hard to describe lol, can someone help
its the other way around. Anakh is an honour type pride. Not cocky at all haha
ANakh Tohar hondi ahh
its pride like pride/confidence anything along those borders

Kaur

Ashqe said:
Oh yeah, what does Pehchaan Apni Nachdi Jandi mean?

P.S. I hope I got the full team name right =D
In punjabi is makes more sense then in english. Pechaan means 'identity' nachdi jandi ' dancing past you'. We take it as ' look at our identity as it dances by'. b/c we define ourselves in the way we move on stage and present ourselves as a bhangra team.