MOTOR CITY BHANGRA 2019!! EARLY REG ENDS IN 10 DAYS!!

khehra36

Hello Everyone,

We are very happy to announce our 8th Annual Motor City Bhangra competition that will be held on NOVEMBER 16TH 2019!!

The registration is now OPEN!!

We are very thankful for your continuous love and support that made the show a huge success last year as we had a SOLD OUT show. This year we promise to make it even bigger and better.

We will have 2 categories Live and Music with $4000 prize money to be awarded to the winners!!!

All of you gave us a huge response to our junior competition last year. While we promise to bring you junior competition and Giddha competition shortly. This will be a senior bhangra competition.

EARLY REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 10TH 2019 by 11:59 PM $100.00

NORMAL REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 13TH 2019 by 11:59 PM $125.00

LATE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 16TH 2019 by 11:59PM. $150.00

LINE UP WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON OCTOBER 17TH 2019.

Our new website will be up and running in the next 2 days. We will be announcing it once it is updated so you can pay the registration fee online at WWW.MOTORCITYBHANGRA.NET via paypal.

You can also use Venmo @MCB2016 to pay the registration fee

Attached you will find the registration packet. Please fill out all the requirements and submit it. Apply early to avoid late fees!!

Please E-mail your registration packets at motorcitybhangra1@gmail.com

See you all in NOVEMBER!!

Till then....

STAY FOLK

Attachments

Last edited:

hardeep_singh

gary, i'm assuming you mean to stand by your word:
http://bhangrateamsforum.com/a/threads/buffalo-bhangra-looking-for-wooden-saaps.30349/#post-248242
"But I will accept the other half. If all teams at my comp decide to bring wooden shikke and the shikka break I will have judges not deduct any points and I will mention that in my rubric as well. If that encourages all the teams to bring wooden shikke I will do that in a heartbeat."

So to all accepted teams, be sure to only use wooden saaps so that everyone can avoid any penalties related to broken saaps.

Random comment about a section of the registration packet (Page 5):
"Bhangra competitions are held to promote our culture and tradition so Indian attire will be enforced at the mixer. It is highly recommended that guys wear formal attire to this “pre-party” and girls may either wear traditional Indian attire or formal clothes as well, in other words dress to impress (No T-shirt or Pajamas is allowed at the mixer). Dress code will be enforced."

Wouldn't it be easier to just strongly recommend that everyone wear formal or semi-formal attire instead of trying to conflate dress code with cultural representation. Or have some baseline standard specifying that guys can wear kurtas with jeans and girls can do kameej with leggings or something. Honestly I don't know what standards people in pinds have these days, but back in the day you wore whatever you got and that was the tradition. Culturally there is one style i've always wanted to try to pull off, punjabi style supari/safari suit that you can tell from 50 feet away was sewn by the local tailor that has a shop by the bus stop, using kapra you were gifted at some random distant relatives wedding, that's about as folk/formal as i can imagine.

Last edited:

khehra36

gary, i'm assuming you mean to stand by your word:
http://bhangrateamsforum.com/a/threads/buffalo-bhangra-looking-for-wooden-saaps.30349/#post-248242
"But I will accept the other half. If all teams at my comp decide to bring wooden shikke and the shikka break I will have judges not deduct any points and I will mention that in my rubric as well. If that encourages all the teams to bring wooden shikke I will do that in a heartbeat."

So to all accepted teams, be sure to only use wooden saaps so that everyone can avoid any penalties related to broken saaps.

Random comment about a section of the registration packet (Page 5):
"Bhangra competitions are held to promote our culture and tradition so Indian attire will be enforced at the mixer. It is highly recommended that guys wear formal attire to this “pre-party” and girls may either wear traditional Indian attire or formal clothes as well, in other words dress to impress (No T-shirt or Pajamas is allowed at the mixer). Dress code will be enforced."

Wouldn't it be easier to just strongly recommend that everyone wear formal or semi-formal attire instead of trying to conflate dress code with cultural representation. Or have some baseline standard specifying that guys can wear kurtas with jeans and girls can do kameej with leggings or something. Honestly I don't know what standards people in pinds have these days, but back in the day you wore whatever you got and that was the tradition. Culturally there is one style i've always wanted to try to pull off, punjabi style supari/safari suit that you can tell from 50 feet away was sewn by the local tailor that has a shop by the bus stop, using kapra you were gifted at some random distant relatives wedding, that's about as folk/formal as i can imagine.

Hardeep tu chahunda ki aa eh dasde? fer us hissab naal dekh lainde aa?

If you are too free to come up here and stir an argument for no reason please feel free to do so. As I said before I do not plan to make this site into something that it is not. This post was meant to release registration packet and not discussing judging rubric or my mixer clothing. And please dont worry what I promised and what I didn't. Its my competition and I will handle like I have been since past 8 years and I think we have done a good job accommodating all the teams needs to the best of our ability and we will continue to do so.

Next you bring up the point regarding clothing. To be clear we want to preserve the culture. Not force people to go back to the culture where "People wore whatever they had". Our comp is about showcasing true folk culture but at the same time everyone have the right to wear the type of clothing they seem is appropriate according to the dress code. I am not going to go to each team and say that oh we do not allow this type of chunni or no pajama just chadras.

You seem to be too vehla. If you want to be my sponsor and sponsor all the clothing for each team that they can wear all weekend. I would love it. Since you are so concerned about what I put on my rubric. What people wear to my mixer. Thats the least you can do :)