New Bhangra Team in Chicago

ggaonkar

Hey guys,

We just started up a new bhangra team in the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago last semester, and just had our second performance. We would appreciate any advice, thoughts, etc. Thanks!

Tech de Fateh
(sorry about the first minute or so, the person recording the performance messed up)

Ashveer

Upahvan said:
yes! finally a chi town team. shoutout to my girl shiny!!
There are at least 5 teams in Chicago:
IIT, UIC, UofC, Northwestern, and a non-comp team, Hareepa

Upahvan

Besides Northwestern the others arent too active on the Bhangra circuit. Its nice to see this one starting up fast and already posting on btf

Navkarn

i just had a inquiry / suggestion about your team name. i think its really creative if im right and think you guys are going for a spin off of the phrase "Chak De Phatey" with Tech De Phatey ... but by spelling it "Fateh" it seems confusing to me because thats often used in religious texts as victorious or victory. Unless I was wrong and you in fact are going for the name "Techs Victory", i think you guys might want to simply respell Fateh with Phatey or even Fatey or anything closer to what most people are used to seeing to avoid that confusion! Just my 2 cents, sorry if i was completely off!

Psant

UNC Bhangra Elite Alum, Brandeis Bhangra
I like the 'We Speak No Americano' Sialkote.

ggaonkar

Navkarn said:
i just had a inquiry / suggestion about your team name. i think its really creative if im right and think you guys are going for a spin off of the phrase "Chak De Phatey" with Tech De Phatey ... but by spelling it "Fateh" it seems confusing to me because thats often used in religious texts as victorious or victory. Unless I was wrong and you in fact are going for the name "Techs Victory", i think you guys might want to simply respell Fateh with Phatey or even Fatey or anything closer to what most people are used to seeing to avoid that confusion! Just my 2 cents, sorry if i was completely off!

Nah, thats what we were going off of, but I think the guy who came up with it was going off the translation of "Fateh" being pride, so it would have a meaning of "The Pride of IIT" or something of the sort. I know "di shaan" would be a more direct way of saying pride, but I think they were trying to incorporate the "chak de phattey" aspect into it. Being a non-punjabi myself, I'm not sure if this is actually correct or not, but as a first year team we're definitely open to changing it

vmural2

Hey man, good work with the new team. After seeing you guys at Chicago Loves Bhangra this past weekend, it looks like you guys have some solid dancers. That being said, a few things I noticed were that vertical lines were off at certain times (1:59, 2:16, 3:20-3:25, 5:35, 5:47). The rule that my team uses when dealing with vertical lines is that the person in the front is always right (even if he is in the wrong position). Its much easier for a person in the back to adjust to a person in the front rather than vice-versa.

Also, as is usually the case with most new teams, you guys might want to think about securing a style, and having everyone match that style. I would suggest picking one dancer and making sure everyone does the moves exactly like him/her. Something like that, however, takes a lot of practice and while its understandable that it may be a bit more difficult to accomplish on larger teams, having everyone on the same page on how to execute the moves goes a long way.

In terms of choreography, I thought it was good that you guys kept it simple. You can def point out where your influences came from during certain parts, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The best way ive found to come up with choreo is to just play the mix and freestyle for a while. It really helps in just getting the feel for the music and realizing what moves come naturally to you at various points. Having everyone on the team do this gives you an idea of what comes naturally to all the dancers, and what steps people like and feel comfortable doing. In segments like jhumar, where fluidity between moves is particularly important, this type of exercise has helped me a lot.

Starting a team from scratch is never easy, but it definitely looks like you guys are heading in a good direction with what you've managed to do so far. PM/email me if you want any further critiques. Good luck!

ggaonkar

Thanks bro, def. gonna hit you up for some advice this summer.

Haha just was thinking how far we've come from our CXB days lol

mrchicity

ggaonkar said:

Haha think about how far we've all come since the world's fair days back at SHS. Good stuff, the dancers have definitely improved since I saw them in March. I think what you need to do now is expand on the choreography, incorporate more folk elements and slowly start increasing the complexity of moves. As your dancers start learning more and more, they'll get more comfortable with everything.

Btw, I just want to point out that one of the front jodis (red/black) is the red jodi from this India team video: http://www.youtube.com/user/kanwarjeet?blend=5&ob=5#p/u/3/P0ZXMz_9Pw4

vmural2

mrchicity said:
ggaonkar said:

Haha think about how far we've all come since the world's fair days back at SHS. Good stuff, the dancers have definitely improved since I saw them in March. I think what you need to do now is expand on the choreography, incorporate more folk elements and slowly start increasing the complexity of moves. As your dancers start learning more and more, they'll get more comfortable with everything.

Btw, I just want to point out that one of the front jodis (red/black) is the red jodi from this India team video: http://www.youtube.com/user/kanwarjeet?blend=5&ob=5#p/u/3/P0ZXMz_9Pw4
Haha dude my sister was freaking out about her worlds fair dance just a few weeks ago. Def brought back some good memories.
And dude CXB was an experience of its own... one which i do not remember very well...

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
Hartej said:
At least Chicago teams are making some sort of a sold effort.

Better than the other midwest "bhangra" teams.
for example: University of Wisconsin School of Bhangra:
Thanks to youtube, gabroo tv, and BTF teams should be better than UW....
come on man, totally unnecessary. This is supposed to be a thread to help a team grow and you're posting an irrelevant team's vid simply to put them down? Not sure what your beef is but everyoneee started somewhere there's no reason to rag on a team that is working hard (and not even competing...)

Saleem

Staff member
Swi said:
Hartej said:
At least Chicago teams are making some sort of a sold effort.

Better than the other midwest "bhangra" teams.
for example: University of Wisconsin School of Bhangra:
Thanks to youtube, gabroo tv, and BTF teams should be better than UW....
come on man, totally unnecessary. This is supposed to be a thread to help a team grow and you're posting an irrelevant team's vid simply to put them down? Not sure what your beef is but everyoneee started somewhere there's no reason to rag on a team that is working hard (and not even competing...)
I agree with Swi and am definitely pissed off by Hartej's post. So I made a topic on it. Please don't attack teams, this is a place for constructive criticism and discussion.

Pavan

I think you guys are well on your way, and will continue to improve as long as you keep working. Like other people have said, you should start to look at picking a certain style, a unique IIT style.

One thing i would say is (and this just could be me) ur song selection seems like you watched one or two teams and picked songs they did. Seems to me that a lot of the songs were from the SGPD Elite 8 2010 mix. Not saying u did this, but a lot of the songs are the same. Maybe start venturing into riskier songs?

Also, like the member from UIC bhangra said, use the great resources around you. There are a couple established teams in the area, and im sure they would love to help you out, including us. Hopefully in a few years Chicago can be as big a bhangra region as Virginia or New York. Good luck!

Naynay

Neha Patel
Pavan said:
One thing i would say is (and this just could be me) ur song selection seems like you watched one or two teams and picked songs they did. Seems to me that a lot of the songs were from the SGPD Elite 8 2010 mix. Not saying u did this, but a lot of the songs are the same. Maybe start venturing into riskier songs?

Thanks for the advice Pavan! As you picked up, we really liked both Dhola and Chanak Wang Di from SGPD's mix. The rest of the songs were a general consensus between the team. We'd also appreciate any views on the mix itself, as we'll be working on a new one soon! Is there a certain order that the songs go in, and is it ok to have more than one jhoomer song in a dance?