Questions Regarding Buying A Dhol

Amar Moturu

Hi, I'm on a bhangra team in Texas and I'm interested in buying a dhol both for bhangra and for college parties/performances. I was wondering as to where and how to purchase one. While I'm going to Delhi/Amritsar/Hyderabad in a few weeks, I'm not sure whether the hassle of shipping/trying to transport the dhol would be worth it. If anyone has done this before with relative ease and has any recommendations, I'd appreciate some advice, but otherwise, I think it might be easier to just buy it online.

If I'm looking online, what might be good places to buy it from? If I'm just using it for bhangra/parties and I don't really need top-of-the-line concert quality, what would be a recommended price range/equipment specifications? I might want to do some (light) jumps/bhangra with it, so I don't want it to be too heavy. I also know of one guy in my area who is selling his for $500, but it seems a bit expensive.

Finally, I know tabla and was on drumline, so I don't think it should be too hard, but are there any resources y'all could recommend for learning? Other than various YouTube videos, I haven't found much.

srikarran

Hi, I'm on a bhangra team in Texas and I'm interested in buying a dhol both for bhangra and for college parties/performances. I was wondering as to where and how to purchase one. While I'm going to Delhi/Amritsar/Hyderabad in a few weeks, I'm not sure whether the hassle of shipping/trying to transport the dhol would be worth it. If anyone has done this before with relative ease and has any recommendations, I'd appreciate some advice, but otherwise, I think it might be easier to just buy it online.

If I'm looking online, what might be good places to buy it from? If I'm just using it for bhangra/parties and I don't really need top-of-the-line concert quality, what would be a recommended price range/equipment specifications? I might want to do some (light) jumps/bhangra with it, so I don't want it to be too heavy. I also know of one guy in my area who is selling his for $500, but it seems a bit expensive.

Finally, I know tabla and was on drumline, so I don't think it should be too hard, but are there any resources y'all could recommend for learning? Other than various YouTube videos, I haven't found much.
Contact Kukki Jogi through Facebook. He will able to ship you a dhol, he does this often and it might be cheaper for you to get it shipped to where you will be in India. The downside of travelling with it is checking it in but if you keep it in its packaging or buy a hard case traveling bag for it from a music store in India, you should be fine.

I suggest not buying it online. The plus side of getting a new one made from India vs just some company online is that if and when you want to sell it, you could get most of your money back on a well maintained dhol bought from India. Think of it as an investment.

For learning how to play dhol, you can watch as many different videos as you want but ultimately they all teach you a beat and it is your responsibility to practice consistently and perfect it. Manvir Hothi's youtube channel and dhol tutorial series "Simply Dhol" is probably the most organized one out there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSKALC-NSK546mXiNaIHiw