Safe for competitions to return?

yomamajama

Sports leagues in US have talked returning in June to August. NBA, for example, has talked hosting a site in Florida for the remainder of the season. Is it safer now to host a comp given that professional sports leagues are coming back?

Dont have to have an audience given the health issues; it can be live-streamed with the help of GTV.

Would be dope if someone can throw one or two huge comps in florida, if someone can host lol, like a WBBC type comp like back in the day.

Saleem

Staff member
Two things: Safety and Revenue

Safety

Sports leagues will return with stringent policies around testing and distancing, e.g. the NBA:

Life in the NBA bubble will be governed by a set of safety protocols. While players and coaches will be allowed to golf or eat at outdoor restaurants, they will also need to maintain social distancing, sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.
The NBA is planning to have uniform, daily testing for the coronavirus within the Disney campus environment, sources told ESPN.
If a player tests positive for the virus, the league's intent would be to remove that player from the team to quarantine and treat individually -- and continue to test other team members as they play on, sources said.
If I was a team captain I would want to understand the protocols a competition organizer had in place to keep my team safe. I think this would make me further doubt a first-time competition organizer who is unproven. Honestly if I was a team captain I think there is an unacceptable amount of risk for people to be dancing for hours together in rooms to practice and to compete. I think bhangra competitions take a break and the community needs to change it up to be virtual for a bit longer.

Revenue

Sports makes a lot of money off of TV deals and eyeballs on the sport, not in-person viewing in the arena. Bhangra competitions' main revenue stream to date are in-person tickets. So this would need a pivot to some sort of alternate path: paid live stream, or free live stream with sponsors/ads. I guess now you don't need an expensive venue. Maybe a few thousand dollars to just set up an outdoor stage and lighting.

yomamajama

Bhangra competitions weren’t making much revenue before, so it’s not like COVID 19 is going to make a huge difference in that aspect.

streaming competitions like I mentioned above is actually more cost effective, cuz teams can essentially go anywhere and make their on venue/set and put in their background effects to make it more digitally enhanced.

if you make things more online I think there is a really good chance you can make it interesting stream based platform market for Bhangra. Everyone is streaming now.

yomamajama

And as for health issue, sooner or later things going to have to go back to normal and people will need to just understand the risks before doing something. You cannot refrain and/or stop someone from doing a particular task or keeping them forever indoors. If People Want to do Bhangra, let them now. It’s their choice, they understand the risks now just like anyone who smokes cigerettes yet continue to do so.