• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

The Bhangra Competition - TBC 2016 - Performance Videos

hardeepsohal

Dayyymmmmm energy at tbc seemed off the chain!! ankhi jawan killed it ;D ;D it's difficult to tell the difference between these sets though! they all look the same!!! Did gcc not compete at this comp?

BhangraOpinion

[SIZE=small]So I was in the UK for this competition and here are my thoughts.[/SIZE]

My opinion on the placings:
1: AJ/APPD
2. AJ/APPD
3. Vasda Punjab
4. Nachda Sansaar
5. GCC/BFD
6. GCC/BFD
7. Ankhile Girls

I agree with all y'all above.

My opinions on TBC 16 are mixed. Energy has improved and dancing has for some teams. So many teams all trying rip it too much and way too much hype. Choreo has not improved (across the board) from 14 to 16.
Choreo has questionably become more folk, but not as interesting as it was in 2014.
However, if this is the way the scene in the UK is going we can't comment with the gimmicks in our scene today.

IMO it was very close between APPD and AJ, a pick 'em. I left feeling the judges don't know what they were watching given that APPD didn't even manage a placing!

Vasda Punjab made THE MOST improvement from 2014 to 2016 - best jhummar of the night, but the 2nd half wasn't as good as the first half. Should have placed, or just outside the placings.

I'm not sure what happened to GCC this year. 80% of the dancers look different. This looks like their youth team or their B team. The dancers looked lost on stage and looked unprepared. I'm assuming the 14 team moved on and new captains/choreos/mixers took over. Can anyone confirm this?
The second half of the set seemed to pick up with the luddi/sialkoti stuff, phumniyan and the khundeh in the mouth slowdown was cool.

The AJ set, although executed very well with energy, reused the same/similar ideas throughout the whole routine. Starting with the throwback SGPD sapp, the constant slowdowns of luddi/chall/jugni, and then groups bursting through the middle almost every segment just coming through the middle in a different way. I remember this set for being executed well, but nothing differentiated the segments for me. I wasn't blown away, and form the audience some of the set just did not hit.
This seems to be the downfall of most teams at TBC this year. However, they had the best sync of the night - so maybe that's what the judge's main criteria on the rubric was. I'd be interested to see any scoresheets, if available to any UK dancers.

BFD, being the only coed team held their own. People falling takes away from the set and simply because of the numerous mistakes I can not have them placing IMO.

Overall thoughts:
TBC 2014 still goes down as the best comp to ever come out the UK. There was variety in routines and all teams had a differentiating style. This year everyone came with similar ideas and it became tiresome to watch. There's only so much you can watch of teams dancing well for 8 minutes with no incredible choreography. The top teams all merged into one.

This is why the GCC 14 set still sets the bar for the UK. Contrasted to the winning set from TBC 16, the GCC 14 set had completely new and different ideas for EACH & EVERY segment. No formation ideas were double used, unlike the coming through the middle from the back by AJ 16. When I watched TBC 14 videos and especially GCC, I was blown away by the talent.
The sign of a very good set is memorable odd moments (AJ), the sign of a great set is memorable complete segments and the impact they had flowing through the set (GCC).

After no TBC 15, the GCC 14 set I contrast to the NJ elite 8 2010 set (what it achieved and did to the scene, respectively). However, it may also be unfair to compare AJ to these sets as they shaped the scene (respectively in each region) and AJ is a product of the shaping (in the UK).

Congrats to AJ for the win. If I could rewind the UK scene 2 years and tell them to keep along those lines I would.

KushK

Finally got to see all the videos. APPD not being among the placings is deff a question mark. However if cleanliness was a factor, I can see why they didn't end up in the top 3. I think what might've hurt APPD was the pace of the set. If they slowed it a tad bit down for a segment or 2 the wow factor for the set in general would've gone up. None the less an awesome performance. Judging is never an easy task and it is deff a lot easier to sit here and watch videos multiple times before coming up with your own placings. However my placings after watching the videos:

1). AJ/APPD
2). AJ/APPD
3). Nachda/BFD

Congrats to all the teams on very well executed sets!

Prabhzy

My placings were

1. AJ
2. APPD
2. NSBC/BFD

I think APPD could have won this had their set had a been a tad slower in some segments with variety plus more cleanliness.