• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Vibe @ BSM (Critique Please!)

MohitoK

What's up BTF! I've started having more time to dedicate to mixing for teams so I'm trying to become more active. I just mixed for Vibe at BSM (the first 5:30 of the mix) and would love feedback.

Tools:
- DAW: Ableton Live 9
- Mastering: Izotope Ozone
- Drum and dhol compression: Waves LA-2A Compressor
- Reverb: MannyM Reverb
- EQ: Built in Ableton

I'm mostly working on how to make dhol a more prominent part of the mix compared to the 808s while still keeping it clean, and track spacing in general. Thanks!

mithu

This is not a critique....

Critique:
  • listing what you used to "eq" "master" doesnt mean shit. What oZone does, you can do with simple EQ, multiband compression, panning, compressors, saturators, etc etc
  • You need to focus on your volume levels
    • Main vocals should not be drowned out by back beat
    • the lyrics need to be the focal point
  • STOP PITCHING SHIT UP
    • only do it if the keys are within +/- 3
Overall it sounds like most hype garbage. Vocals are drowned out by back beats and bass. Songs are pitched up for no reason.

0 knowledge of basic song keys and how to make them work together.

MohitoK

This is not a critique....

Critique:
  • listing what you used to "eq" "master" doesnt mean shit. What oZone does, you can do with simple EQ, multiband compression, panning, compressors, saturators, etc etc
  • You need to focus on your volume levels
    • Main vocals should not be drowned out by back beat
    • the lyrics need to be the focal point
  • STOP PITCHING SHIT UP
    • only do it if the keys are within +/- 3
Overall it sounds like most hype garbage. Vocals are drowned out by back beats and bass. Songs are pitched up for no reason.

0 knowledge of basic song keys and how to make them work together.
I have a strong understanding of music theory and can guarantee that everything was appropriately in key. I personally prefer keeping the vocals pitched a little as I think it sounds better on stage. I also didn't pitch a single song up by more than 3 steps, which is within the range you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to listen :)

Aka$h

I actually think the mix was refreshing to listen to. The intro was dope

The vocals worked well together because pappi gill, anmol gagan mann and g sidhu have higher pitched voices.

Transition into Rani was a bit abrupt other than that , great mix man, looking forward to more mixes from you!

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
I enjoyed listening to this mix, especially the first 5 and a half minutes of it. Song selection was on point, idk how much was your choosing/how much was the captains', so you can give yourself the amount of credit you deserve there. Also thank you for mixing in key...I thought there was a bit of off-keyness during the jhoomar intro with that chord progression but I could be wrong.

I can tell you put in the time to alter the small details of the mix to get a good sound out. For me, this style shares a lot of qualities with the UK style but is also unique in a lot of ways. Personally I think the hi hats could be tucked away better, since essentially they're just adding a layer of noise (as is the case with most mixes these days). Snare could have been eq'd and spread better, I found that to be pretty intrusive as well.

Pitching up vocals is another pet peeve of mine and I'd actually argue that it doesn't sound as good on stage if a song is pitched up 3 semitones, but again that's just personal preference.

I hope that all makes sense, pm me if you want any more critiques. Otherwise, definitely keep up the good work, I think with some more experience you'll be up there with the top mixers in no time!

MohitoK

I enjoyed listening to this mix, especially the first 5 and a half minutes of it. Song selection was on point, idk how much was your choosing/how much was the captains', so you can give yourself the amount of credit you deserve there. Also thank you for mixing in key...I thought there was a bit of off-keyness during the jhoomar intro with that chord progression but I could be wrong.

I can tell you put in the time to alter the small details of the mix to get a good sound out. For me, this style shares a lot of qualities with the UK style but is also unique in a lot of ways. Personally I think the hi hats could be tucked away better, since essentially they're just adding a layer of noise (as is the case with most mixes these days). Snare could have been eq'd and spread better, I found that to be pretty intrusive as well.

Pitching up vocals is another pet peeve of mine and I'd actually argue that it doesn't sound as good on stage if a song is pitched up 3 semitones, but again that's just personal preference.

I hope that all makes sense, pm me if you want any more critiques. Otherwise, definitely keep up the good work, I think with some more experience you'll be up there with the top mixers in no time!
Thanks for the critique! I definitely get what you’re saying about the snares and hats.

I catch myself all the time over-using hats in almost a “cheating” way to lazily fill out mixes, so definitely going to try fitting them in as more of a light touch.

GSingh

Thanks for the critique! I definitely get what you’re saying about the snares and hats.

I catch myself all the time over-using hats in almost a “cheating” way to lazily fill out mixes, so definitely going to try fitting them in as more of a light touch.
Try playing around with the swing of the hats in various parts. Sometimes more or less swing really enhances the overall feeling. To add "Thickness" and make the dhol more prominent, I often add a hat with the same swing as the dhol. It more or less goes unheard, which is good because it's supposed to play a supporting role to the dhol, not be an instrument in it's own space. Lots of little tricks with shakers and rides help fill out the sound in unique and creative ways rather than just the typical 16th note copy paste with rolls every-so-often.

I'm sure you noticed the change-up in "Issa Jatt". Some of the verses have a swung hat which subtly changes the feel -- makes it more lazy and 'chill'. Then it bounces back to the un-swung hat for the chorus to add that harsher, more robotic beat. Shit like that makes the listening experience way more interesting. :D

MohitoK

Try playing around with the swing of the hats in various parts. Sometimes more or less swing really enhances the overall feeling. To add "Thickness" and make the dhol more prominent, I often add a hat with the same swing as the dhol. It more or less goes unheard, which is good because it's supposed to play a supporting role to the dhol, not be an instrument in it's own space. Lots of little tricks with shakers and rides help fill out the sound in unique and creative ways rather than just the typical 16th note copy paste with rolls every-so-often.

I'm sure you noticed the change-up in "Issa Jatt". Some of the verses have a swung hat which subtly changes the feel -- makes it more lazy and 'chill'. Then it bounces back to the un-swung hat for the chorus to add that harsher, more robotic beat. Shit like that makes the listening experience way more interesting. :D
Thanks for the tip! I'll give the swung hats a try for sure.