• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 1 - BTF Ladder - 30. DJ DHoLa vs. 28. Mohan Singh

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
No poll. You must post in the thread to vote. The votes of users with less than 15 *counted* posts will not go towards the total. Files are attached for those that wish to download the mixes.
DJ 1: [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-1-30-dj-dhola[/soundcloud]
DJ 2: [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-1-30-dj[/soundcloud]
The original is Virse De Waris - Raj Ranjodh. It is attached.

-----------
Results (only members with at least 10 votes counted)
DJ 1- 25
DJ 2- 0 (no votes thrown out)

Domination. DJ 1 aka Mohan Singh wins! Congrats on a successful defense, let's see you rise through the ladder!

Attachments

footballforlife

Don't let the name fool you.
DJ1.

I thought the intro was too long, but listening to it a second time, I think it does work. For mix 2, I think a small intro would've been better.

Kartik

DJ 1

I enjoyed 1 for most of the mix but the drop seemed to have clash a bit

Mix 2 didn't add to the original in a positive way IMO + jarring at the start

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
My vote: DJ 1

DJ 1 - Great buildup in the first 11 second, but you could have hit the bass harder at the beginning (starting at 0:12) to really "engage the listener" & then reduced down the effect later imho. While I liked the deep bass drop used, I felt it was a bit elongated in your mix. I wish you used various frequencies of bass or used some varying bass loops to "change it up." It would have made your mix a little more unique. I really enjoyed the dhol rolls combined with the "I'm glad everyone came out tonight" words used. I also enjoyed the transition from 0:34-0:36 minus the little annoyin' peak sound in the middle. Overall, I would have liked for you to cut your intro down a lot - I was anxiously waiting & waiting for the main lyrics to kick in but that didn't happen until 0:48 - so almost 60% of your mix was your intro. Really loved the dhol roll leading into the effect from 1:06-1:10 with the "listen" right after that & breaking back into the Punjabi lyrics - that was hot. Good work overall.

DJ 2 - Abrupt start. From about 0:12-0:20 seconds gave me a headache - I couldn't distinguish any sounds in your mix. It just seemed like too much was thrown in together. You need to a better job with EQing. I wasn't really feelin' the electro-house base drop you had going from 0:24 until the end of the mix. I would have rather heard the vocals more clearly with some cool buildups & mixing elements thrown together like you did from 0:21-0:24. Also, are you really gonna end with just the glass breaking sound?? It seems like you couldn't locate anymore cool beats/loops/etc, so you ended up going to your PowerPoint library. Overall I think you may need to work on some basics and bring more creativity in.

~ Basim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.