Week 5- BTF Ladder- 11. sK challenges 9. Karan Deol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfried

Please vote on which mix you like better by posting in the thread below. There's no poll. You must have a minimum of 10 posts to vote. Voting ends at noon PST on Saturday!

This challenge is between 11. sK and 9. Karan Deol. The challenge was to mix a Bollywood song. The original song is Teri Meri by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Shreya Ghoshal from the film Bodyguard.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-5-11-sk[/soundcloud]
DJ 1:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-5-11-sk-1[/soundcloud]
DJ 2:

GSingh

DJ 1: I enjoyed everything past :45.

DJ 2: a bit flat. Not sure how else to phrase it. It was smooth but nothing stood out. The kicks were not very punchy but the vocals definitely stand out crisp and smooth which is good because most DJ's nowdays dgaf about vox.

If DJ 1 hadn't asked to only consider the first :45, It would have gone to him because everything after was DIRTTTTTYYYYYYYYYY.
DJ 2.

footballforlife

Don't let the name fool you.
Wow DJ1... it was too long for this battle, but the end of the mix was sick. It was done very nicely. You should've cut out some of the middle and not asked us to ignore the best part!! As Gsingh already said, the stuff after 0:45 was thoroughly enjoyable.
DJ2 pretty well done. Some interesting effects and bits but nothing too spectacular. Very solid job though.

DJ2 wins (by default, it almost seems...)

G-tam

My vote - DJ 2

DJ 1's mix was hot after 0:45. If that was included in the battle, i'd have given him my vote

DJ 2's mix was good, but the crispness was missing. Beat & Key matching was good, but it was lacking something to give it that extra boost. Some of the panning & effects were good and brought some variety into the mix.

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
jfried said:
All,

DJ 1 says to just evaluate the whole mix.
yea but he submitted waaaay over time limit...he doesn't get a say in how people view his mix or what elements they want to judge to account for that

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Swi said:
jfried said:
All,

DJ 1 says to just evaluate the whole mix.
yea but he submitted waaaay over time limit...he doesn't get a say in how people view his mix or what elements they want to judge to account for that
+1 - Swi is spot on. I was going to post the same thing. People will judge whatever you submit in its entirety. If you don't want it to be considered by voters, then cut it out of your mix BEFORE you submit it.

~ Basim :)

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
My vote: DJ 2

DJ 1 - I personally didn't think your intro fit too well with the main song. Your mix sounds way too static - the background effects for the first 30 seconds sound too similar. I liked the concept of trying to turn this track into "night club" track, but the execution just wasn't there.

The "robot" type of effects from 0:45 onwards were very creative and awesome. I wish you only used them sparingly or for a shorter segments though because having the same type of effect go on for like 30 seconds was annoying. I also notice you brought back the robot effect from 1:22 to the end of your mix - that wasn't necessary. I would have used the effect during a part that didn't have Rahat's voice in it because I don't feel it blended too well at 1:51-2:05. It drowns out his voice completely.

Overall, your mix was WAY too long. There was so much of it that I would have cut - there was no point in it being so long. Condensing your mix by figuring what to include and what not to include is part of the "challenge."

DJ 2 - Your intro was fairly weak. I didn't enjoy the deep rap voice that you tried to blend in with Rahat's riyaz type of singing at the beginning. It was also quite long. I did like the transition effect used from 0:29-0:32. I really loved that you emphasized the female vocals (by Shreya Ghoshal) and added in a "dance beat" the background. That was great and made the track seem more "upbeat." I also thought the subtle effect from 0:44-0:47 prevented things from becoming too stagnant, so I'm glad you threw something in there. The drumming transition from 1:00-1:02 was awesome. I wasn't a fan of the effect you used to drown out the voice at 1:03-1:09, but it was a risk and I understand trying to be different. I didn't quite understand your outro - it didn't really fit with the original track and just seemed like randomly thrown in.

I wasn't overly impressed with either DJ's mix and I felt a lot more creativity could have been done given the song. I've honestly heard some amazing & very creative mixes to this track. For example, if you want to hear a dance/house mix of this track, I stripped a 1 minute & 30 second segment here (sorry, can't embed it on BTF): http://www.youtube.com/v/4y-nQeoaec8?version=3&start=94&end=190

~ Basim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.