GSingh

Sources say it was suppose to be titled "rarke 2" but I guess they didn't follow through with that. Even the composition is the same so you're Def on the right track with your assumption.

MundaPKVailatiDaru

Yeah It's sad how great artists like Nirmal sidhu sell themselves real quick for easy money
Production was pretty typical and the song was the same pretty much as well
Nothin new to hear

MundaPKVailatiDaru

ksxi said:
Not sure if it just me, but I actually don't mind these "remakes" because the music and lyrics are quite different in them, even though they have the same-ish meaning, they all have different beats and are sang differently, whereas the dav jus track sounds very very similar and the way it is sang is almost identical, that is what annoys me.

Except the Jawaab song, the lyrics are pretty much identical on that one lol.

Not sending shots or anything, but producers like Mann Sandhu, Sangra vibes, dj sanj they all use the same sounds which creates "their" sound, whereas these other producers such as PBN, Desi Crew (kinda) and some others have that generic "folk" bhangra beat, that also annoys me lol

Remakes are fine as long as they don't suck.
Putt Jattan De has been remade a few times but the only remake that sounded good as the original was by Tru Skool. But that song wasn't completely a remake of the original; the lyrics were different.
Lyrics are getting pretty weird these days
UK Bhangra is all about the "Nach nach" business and India keeps rolling the "Barood," "Kanpuri Asla," and any brand you name it.
As for music, we know how hard it is to stay apart from the crowd and create your own sound.
But having the same B-line, 4 kick drum, GDR dholki, tumbi, mandolin, pads/strings, and structure in every song you produce gets boring and isn't much creative.
Unfortunately creativity isn't really valued in our industry
#straighttalk

jasjeet

Dj JsM
MundaPKVailatiDaru said:
ksxi said:
Not sure if it just me, but I actually don't mind these "remakes" because the music and lyrics are quite different in them, even though they have the same-ish meaning, they all have different beats and are sang differently, whereas the dav jus track sounds very very similar and the way it is sang is almost identical, that is what annoys me.

Not sending shots or anything, but producers like Mann Sandhu, Sangra vibes, dj sanj they all use the same sounds which creates "their" sound, whereas these other producers such as PBN, Desi Crew (kinda) and some others have that generic "folk" bhangra beat, that also annoys me lol

Putt Jattan De has been remade a few times but the only remake that sounded good as the original was by Tru Skool. But that song wasn't completely a remake of the original; the lyrics were different.
UK Bhangra is all about the "Nach nach" business and India keeps rolling the "Barood," "Kanpuri Asla," and any brand you name it.
As for music, we know how hard it is to stay apart from the crowd and create your own sound.
But having the same B-line, 4 kick drum, GDR dholki, tumbi, mandolin, pads/strings, and structure in every song you produce gets boring and isn't much creative.
#straighttalk
MundaPKVailatiDaru said:
ksxi said:

#straighttalk
AMEN

MundaPKVailatiDaru

GSingh

A thing to remember about folk music is that it isn't centered around a particular sound or a particular instrument(s). Folk music is music of the people. The folk music we refer to comes from a time when people were generally farmers and didn't have ready access to technology. They did what they could with what they had. At that time, guitars existed, synthesizers, drums etc, but people were often too poor to afford them so they made do with a string tied to a stick, strung over a gourd, or sheepskin(any other skin they had access to) stretched around a wooden drum.

What made folk music FOLK, was the lyrical value. The topics discussed in the songs were real life. Listeners could relate to the words and that's why the songs were "Lok geet". Lokaan de geet, lokaan diyan gallan.

Afterall, the starting of "folk music" was dhadi jathe. More than half the compositions we hear in folk music are direct derivatives of dhadi vaaran.

There are so many genre's in folk music that it's very difficult to put a blanket over it all.

We have:

Kaliyan
Vaaran
Ghoriyan
Suhaag
Boliyan
Sithanian
Alhanian
Vatna
Haria
Mahiya
Tappe
Jindua
Dhola
Kafiyan
Saddan
Birhade

And more that I'm forgetting.

Each of the above has a certain feel and venue of expression. What we've done essentially taken "boliyan", "Kaliyan" and "vaaran" and classified them as "Folk". What ends up happening is that when someone who's not exposed to all the rest of the genre's, their interpretation of folk music becomes centered around the music-- fairly so -- since they sound similar. It's easy to assume that since these pieces of music sound similar, others have said this one piece is "folk" so thereby, the rest of them must also be folk since the MUSIC sounds so similar -- forgetting that the reason they're classified as folk is because of their application to punjabi life and events that occur not which instrument is playing. If we sang "Amplifier" on just a dholki, tumbi, and algoze, it would not make it folk. It may SOUND folk, based on our exposure and experience, but it would not fall in the same category as tasveeran bol diya or a ranjha song. OR WOULD IT? The song is about a modern day comparison of a girl and subwoofer... it's about the people, by the people.. Modern folk? Technically, anything will be folk unless it talks about a supernatural phenomenon that is beyond everyday life. (I'm thoroughly confused right now, please someone add on lol)

I would love a healthy debate about this so I can sharpen my knowledge about this topic and hopefully allow others to see into insights they may be overlooking.

In terms of creativity,

MundaPKVailatiDaru

I agree with you 100% GSingh ;)
Folk is music of the people
Adding on:
It's something passed on generation from generation
Jindua, Sithniya, Mahiya, Kalian, Vaaran etc have been passed down from our grandparents and great grandparents to us.
Folk also has a distinctive style of singing. It's usually straight-forward and high pitch singing
It would have less "garrarian" and "harkatan" than a classical song
Again as GSingh explained, folk music originated from the farming clan and they didn't take much classical training on the vaaja ;D

jasraj93

TBH everything sounds the same now a days, each composition is just recycyled from each other, producers just change the key of the song, the tempo and maybe a few notes but it’s generally the same stuff, most people won’t catch it unless they have an ear for music, raags and sur or if it sounds exactly like another song. Personally i have no issue with it, some of these songs turn out amazing!

For Example:
Putt Jattan De by Surinder Shinda (Original) & Yaar Jundi De by Ammy Virk & Kaur by Gagan Anmol Kaur (a lot more songs have used this composition)
Kainthe Wala Gabru by Surjit Khan & Cheere Waliya Gabrua by Surjit Bindrakhia & Marjaniya by Ks Makhan

MundaPKVailatiDaru

jasraj93 said:
TBH everything sounds the same now a days, each composition is just recycyled from each other, producers just change the key of the song, the tempo and maybe a few notes but it’s generally the same stuff, most people won’t catch it unless they have an ear for music, raags and sur or if it sounds exactly like another song. Personally i have no issue with it, some of these songs turn out amazing!

For Example:
Putt Jattan De by Surinder Shinda (Original) & Yaar Jundi De by Ammy Virk & Kaur by Gagan Anmol Kaur (a lot more songs have used this composition)
Kainthe Wala Gabru by Surjit Khan & Cheere Waliya Gabrua by Surjit Bindrakhia & Marjaniya by Ks Makhan

Very true
Today's folk compositions are the derivatives of dhadi vaaran.
That I'm fine with. The only thing that bugs me is music.
Producers aren't much creative nowdays....apart from Manni Sandhu, sOe, and Rav-E