Bhangra at the Bell Review

KushK

A big thank you too the BATB committee for holding it down this weekend. For a first year competition it was run very well despite some hicupps. Our liasons Ram and Pooja really did a fantastic job and also a big shout out to Amitoj for working with the teams through out the weekend and making the show run smoothly!

I didn't really get to watch all of teams because AEG performed during the later half of the show. From what I did see it was evident that all the teams really brought it for this comptition and I think it had been brought up earier during the fever threads but, BHANRGA IS ALIVE. Congrats to FAUJ, JJ and CMU on their placings!

As for AEG we didn't place this weekend beacuse of a few mistakes that were made by our dancers. We came out with a brand new set and had some hiccups but we will be fixing it all up very soon and be back at it! The crowd was simply fantastic and I don't think I've danced to a louder crowd than we did on saturday night. Thank you to all that came out to support us and the other teams, hope to see you all again real soon!

Kartik

Here's my review:

Organizers - Especially for a 1st year comp, as Ankush said, this was pretty well run. The comp made some great decisions in terms of selecting personnel as liaisons as they all seemed very competent. Special shout out to Pavan and Swathi for making this a very stress-free and enjoyable weekend. Everyone put in a ton of hard work and you all have a lot to be proud of!

Rahul also was incredibly dedicated to this effort, even AFTER the weekend he reached out to us for feedback. You're a great guy, definitely run this show again.

Mixer - Location was great, the venue had a nice feel to it and was just big enough to fit the teams. Games were funny and definitely smart decision to not link mixer games with lineup order. Personally, I enjoyed being able to relax at the mixer w/o having to think about who's the best person on our team to play a competitive mixer game. Pre-comp judges meeting afterwards was efficient - judges were straightforward and answers were actually useful.

Tech time - Rahul already brought up the lighting not being ready which was a letdown. Tech crew was cooperative and easy to work with on setting up mics, etc. Ran mostly on time which isn't always easy so good job on that.

Show - Orchestra seats were pretty empty at the start of the show even though the other levels were packed. Seats got filled up later in the evening but must have been unfortunate for the first couple of teams. We were told to be ready wayy early which was kind of a pain but got to watch most of the teams as a result so no worries on that. Pretty confused as to how the lighting crew turned our lights off before the end of our set but committee apologized and conveyed the issue to the judges.

Afterparty - Already expressed our views on this. Wasn't possible to get there any earlier as we were waiting for the judges meetings. Got to figure out a better way to do this and I think the committee acknowledged that.

Before I get to team reviews, gotta give a special note for Amitoj Singh who seemed to be running tech-time, the show, and helping at the afterparty. You were awesome to work with - please help out at more comps.

Team Reviews

In an effort to get a better standard of feedback going, here's my constructive criticism for the teams that I watched. One thing worth noting was that I didn't think a single team was really weak which is such an impressive situation for the circuit to be in:

DCBC - I watch Bharti for 75% of this set not because anyone was bad but simply because she looked like she was having the time of her life. Absolutely loved the nakhra in jhummar and the intro formation to jhummar was pretty cool too. I think a few formations became predictable such as the moving box in Dhamaal/before end song (can't remember exactly) but overall there was good movement in the set. Strong opening to the show, got me pumped up!

Drexel - Glad to see you guys back after a few months. Prop segments had a bunch of unique ideas but I think there could have been a bit more dancing. Dancing has improved and while cleanliness is going up, more josh at time would help push the set along. Especially with sapps, the segment overall felt a little soft. This may have just been a consequence of the venue but the mix volume seemed a little soft at times.

CMU/SMD - Didn't see y'all as we were backstage

UNC - Dancing has improved big time over the past few months. All the dancers look like they've gotten a lot more comfortable with sapps as well as slower segments (jhummar was ultra slow but pulled off well). Second half of sapp segment could have more movement, I think a lot of time was spent in a square-esque formation. Parts of khunda segment was pretty fresh. Big props to the girl who recovered from the fall and danced through what must have been a ton of pain. My whole team was very impressed at your commitment - we wish you a fast recovery.

AEG - Already told you guys what I thought about the set and I don't want to give anything away before the video comes out so I won't comment too much - but some dancers seriously ripped this set; VD your nakhra was on fire. Tough to have uncontrollable mistakes. Ending seemed like a blast for the audience :)

FAUJ - Best performance I've seen in a while. Videos won't do justice to the level of energy and execution in this set. Ultra clean with some fantastic individual performances.

Bruin - The beginning was a cool idea with the sapps and vests but there were some execution issues that prevented it from hitting as hard. Going 16 isn't easy and I think given that the stage wasn't very wide it must have been hard to execute overall. That being said, since you have 16 dancers it'd be great to see some insane formations that are really new and different because you have the flexibility. Energy was really high from some dancers and they looked like they were having fun.

JJ - The boli at the beginning was such a treat, absolutely phenomenal. Dancers were very solid as we've come to expect from JJ. The khunda snap was very unexpected and well executed. Not as many cool formations as Elite 8 or previous competitions so the middle of the set got slow. I heard it was your last performance as a team and the emotion was apparent - hope you guys enjoyed the run.

Judges were fantastic, we'll be posting our video soon and I'll give any other comments then.

Thanks for a great weekend, glad I got to compete in Philly in my last year at Cornell! Congrats to all the teams on making Bell an amazing competition to both watch and compete at.

Shahrukh

AEG Review- First off the vardiyaan are ill as shit, the design on the chaadre are no joke, kurte and vest just too sick. Also putting lights in your phuman was a sick ass idea too. On to the set and the performance. As AEG has gone a long over the years I started liking your sets more and more each time, with the latest being pcs and bell I loved these 2 sets. For once I feel like the aeg swagger is being presented in a way that I (as a folk head) can thoroughly enjoy, hats off to ankush dilbag and whoever else helps choreo.

I don’t want to give too much away, but shikka segment for me was best of the night. I enjoyed the segment after khunda especially the way you altered that pataka, as well as that phummaniya segment. Mirza was hot as was strawberry segment. And I loved the ending. But what made this fun to watch was the dancers.

Huge shoutout to vishal dholakia for an amazing performance(yo vd your dancing never impressed me until last Saturday) and I thought you were the most fun to watch, also in the balcony view I cant tell you and mavi apart. Dilbag and ladoo are too dirty, that Jodi should never change. Ankush your fat and your Jodi sandy is way better than you. Sahil and gagan are a very powerful Jodi, manraj and aneesh killed it, and Pakistan zindabad aksam and ash were great as well. I wish Richie had his dhol workn the whole time but its all good, yall will kill em next time.

sargam that mix was dirty send that shit now. And you all aren’t even ready for this wbbc mixtape. Too good!

arjunK

Shahrukh said:
AEG Review- First off the vardiyaan are ill as shit, the design on the chaadre are no joke, kurte and vest just too sick. Also putting lights in your phuman was a sick ass idea too. On to the set and the performance. As AEG has gone a long over the years I started liking your sets more and more each time, with the latest being pcs and bell I loved these 2 sets. For once I feel like the aeg swagger is being presented in a way that I (as a folk head) can thoroughly enjoy, hats off to ankush dilbag and whoever else helps choreo.

I don’t want to give too much away, but shikka segment for me was best of the night. I enjoyed the segment after khunda especially the way you altered that pataka, as well as that phummaniya segment. Mirza was hot as was strawberry segment. And I loved the ending. But what made this fun to watch was the dancers.

Huge shoutout to vishal dholakia for an amazing performance(yo vd your dancing never impressed me until last Saturday) and I thought you were the most fun to watch, also in the balcony view I cant tell you and mavi apart. Dilbag and ladoo are too dirty, that Jodi should never change. Ankush your fat and your Jodi sandy is way better than you. Sahil and gagan are a very powerful Jodi, manraj and aneesh killed it, and Pakistan zindabad aksam and ash were great as well. I wish Richie had his dhol workn the whole time but its all good, yall will kill em next time.

sargam that mix was dirty send that shit now. And you all aren’t even ready for this wbbc mixtape. Too good!

VD had mad energy and smiled nonstop, he was nasty. Ladoo is my jodi and Dilbagh stole him. FJ4L

KushK

Shahrukh said:

Haha thanks Shahrukh. Glad you enjoyed the performance my man. A lot of our boys have come a long way! Shout out to them and also I gave sandy all my remaning bhangra powers before we went on stage and just rocked out and had a good time :)