Bhangra Idols, "Best of the Best" Placings

dudhmakhna

the judges probably don't even watch all of the performances on the circuit. I bet they just looked for the team that executed whatever style they used best... I think a team that executes "sgpd style" better than sgpd would win over sgpd. i doubt the judges look at a team's performance and say, "aw man, not another team copying sgpd's style..."

by this I don't mean abc or bcc copied sgpd's style... just something in general

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Hkiran said:
All teams had mistakes, I really think that in 2008 when SGPD came out and started this new 'creative moves' trend in bhangra they probably never thought it could ever work against them. But at Idols 2011 it oficially did. All the teams looked the same, they were all influenced by SGPD . In my opinion teams should thank SGPD for creating a new style which other teams are modifying and taking home trophies with.

I completely disagree: the inventor of the gun does not always win the battle. The only thing you've got is that head-start before someone else takes your design, makes it better or can use it better. That's life.

I don't think anything extra is owed to SGPD - they've got trophies to speak of their achievements. That's all they can ask for. You can't belittle the accomplishments of the here and now. Telling teams to go thank SGPD for their trophies is hilarious. Everyone should then go ship your prize money and trophies to pinds back in Punjab because without them, you wouldn't even have a dance to dance to, let alone a "dance style" or "creative moves".

mcgulz

Sue Sylvester said:
Hkiran said:
All teams had mistakes, I really think that in 2008 when SGPD came out and started this new 'creative moves' trend in bhangra they probably never thought it could ever work against them. But at Idols 2011 it oficially did. All the teams looked the same, they were all influenced by SGPD . In my opinion teams should thank SGPD for creating a new style which other teams are modifying and taking home trophies with.

I completely disagree: the inventor of the gun does not always win the battle. The only thing you've got is that head-start before someone else takes your design, makes it better or can use it better. That's life.

I don't think anything extra is owed to SGPD - they've got trophies to speak of their achievements. That's all they can ask for. You can't belittle the accomplishments of the here and now. Telling teams to go thank SGPD for their trophies is hilarious. Everyone should then go ship your prize money and trophies to pinds back in Punjab because without them, you wouldn't even have a dance to dance to, let alone a "dance style" or "creative moves".
Exactly, it's not about who did what first, its about who did what best, and last night ABC did it the best followed by BCC and then SGPD/NJ despite being pioneers in this new style of Bhangra.

Kaur

But they inspire the ideas, sets of 70% of the teams in todays circuit. Yea a team can kill it and execute it the best, but what they are trying to execute isnt something they fully came up with in the first place. And this isnt a move or 2, this is a whole style.

Just my opinion :)

Saab

Today is a gift
I personally don't think that ABC and PCBCA dance anything like SGPD. I also think that SGPD wins because many people consider them and their style to be "Proper" rather than one style. ABC did what they did, and they won. You might not like it, but they did there style well and they won. You can't as a judge discriminate and pick one persons style, but personal opinion has favored that.

I don't think this was SGPDs best performance, though it was an insane performance relative to the median bhangra team.. (It might be interesting for them to end with a saap segment, as a lot of their creativity and energy really hit there). Thing that I think hurt them was too much similarity between NJ and SGPD, as well as some people using prior bhangra experience and comparing(in their head), sgpd to previous performances.

This is all just conjecture. Still interested in hearing Idols formula.

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Hkiran said:
But they inspire the ideas, sets of 70% of the teams in todays circuit. Yea a team can kill it and execute it the best, but what they are trying to execute isnt something they fully came up with in the first place. And this isnt a move or 2, this is a whole style.

Just my opinion :)

I fail to understand what you mean by "style", Harkiran. SGPD doesn't have a patent on "thinking outside the box". And more than that, there has been so much hip-hop inspiration in recent SGPD sets that saying that they came up with it first is just silly.

Respect to the boys of SGPD - their quality of dancing and their indifference to what the circuit thinks of them is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the circuit. But come-on, Harkiran, you can't say that any team that incorporates gimmicks or throws in some creativity in their routine is swagger-jacking SGPD. There is a distinct SGPD style that differs from Nachdi Jawani and ABC in both dancing and choreography. Saying that the winning teams and the rest of the bhangra circuit should thank SGPD or insinuate that SGPD invented creativity is not justified.

Ak_Di_Nishani

anyoneeee elsee think pcbca was SICKKKK :| I just watched there preformance i thoughtt it was definatly place worthyy

Ranvir

Hkiran said:
.Amazing competition. Watching the competition with the 100 different angle views doesnt really let you see what the judges see. Sitting in the audience I was very impressed with the amount of talent that was put on that stage last night.

ABC- energy/stamina was off the hook, all the stunts were hit, and the ending spin thing was super cool., loved the music selection.

SGPD- watching them at practise the night before I was already impressed, but it compared nothing to what they put out on stage. I loved seeing a more 'chill' set, with a lot of bhangra. Jumps into my books for one of the best SGPD sets ever created, The jhummer WOW! it was a total'' best team in NA moment' Also the dancers are amazing!!

BCC- loved the formations, very creative. The execution was one thing I was worried about but you guys held it down, awsome job!! ( Good Job- Super, Chandan, Paul, Jolly, Guriqbal- PANJ <3)

NJ- I have been waiting to get the epic NJ back, the one which made many people call them ' their favourite team of all time'. We saw it at Idols 2006, Vibc 2008, Elite 8 2010 , but slowly their execution started to drop ex- shikke too fast, energy dropping, dancers half assing. But at Idols they brought that 'epic' NJ back... I agree their were too many start/stops which arent fair when it comes to stamina marks.

After coming home and watching proper balcony views of the teams because I was side stage for some of them my placings were

1st- sgpd/nj

2nd- sgpd/nj

3rd- bcc

ABC you guys were great but im my opinion the style was not yours, it was a modification of anothers. Even though your energy was awsome, songs were great, stunts hit, but the authenticity was not their. So I would give the placing to the Originators.

Just my opinion
I find it pretty funny that we are being called out for imitating SGPD. If we go back just 2 or 3 years ago I believe it was you Hk that said we need to develop our own style because we are just a mixture of KJ, LBC, and Sher. I don't know of many teams that can go from SoCal to Toronto bhangra just like that.We know exactly what our style is and if you look back to any of our videos starting around 2009 we have kept it the same. As a team when we make choreo we throw out any ideas that aren't ours, simply because we find it just as distasteful as you do. I agree with you when you say there are a lot of teams that try to dance like SGPD and many teams straight jack their moves BUT sorry we do not fall into that category.

faizan

Just shut up and dance
abc and sgpd dont dance alike at all...abc schooled the circuit, straight schooled.

SunnyS

faizan said:
abc and sgpd dont dance alike at all...abc schooled the circuit, straight schooled.
im really starting to have a problem with you contradicting your own words. In your video you say SGPD would've been first( respect the love btw) if you were a judge at idols. Now you say ABC straight schooled the circut? anyways congrats and shoutouts to ABC for the win. keep doing what your doing

faizan

Just shut up and dance
i don't see a contradiction here...you can place first and not school the circuit as well...abc made a smart set, plain and simple...

Kaur

Iam not saying you guys copied them. And Im speaking in general, almost talking about 70% of teams, I should have made that more clear Im not dogging on ABC.
What i mean by 'style/trend' is that when VCU came out pure folk an clean outta nowhere and won a few times, teams did the exact same thing, because it was winning. BUT vcu did not come up with a new 'style' of bhangra, they just brought folk back.

There is a pre- sgpd and post- sgpd way of doing bhangra. Before SGPD, creativity was brought on stage through gimmicks, KJ, Sher, UBC all of them brought creativity into their routines through gimmicks. But then sgpd came outta nowhere and brought creativity by finding different ways to do the actual move, and different way to use a prop. Suddenly everyone wanted to find the coolest way to do phumnian, jhummer, bedis etc So they in my opinion actually created this brand new 'style' of doing bhangra.

Yes there is NJ too but they set trends, not create a new 'style' they started trends like; leaning jugnee, swinging, jumping over under props. But in my opinion sgpd started a new way of doing bhangra.

Dont know if that makes it any more clear?
And Ranvir/ABC I apologize if I came off as dogging on you guys, those were not my intentions.

Bharathi

Congrats to all the teams, the creativity and entertainment factor brought to this competition was like no other!

This is my 2nd time watching NJ live and I loved theirs and SGPDs sets, both teams are definitely a treat to watch. BCCs creativity, on par formations and high level of stamina showed a huge improvement since the last time I saw them perform. As for ABC in my opinion their set was perfectly executed and deserved 1st.

Just because the team you support didn't place where you think they should have isn't necessarily reflection on a judging panel's abilities?

Also teams, show some sportsmanship and have some class and congratulate the teams that did place, no need to make rude gestures to the audience when your team didn't "threepeat". Just saying, parents and impressionable youngsters come watch and leave with a horrible impression of the bhangra community when $hit like that happens. Keep it classy and if you aren't sure how, take a cue from the people around you.

SunnyS

Bharathi said:
Congrats to all the teams, the creativity and entertainment factor brought to this competition was like no other!

This is my 2nd time watching NJ live and I loved theirs and SGPDs sets, both teams are definitely a treat to watch. BCCs creativity, on par formations and high level of stamina showed a huge improvement since the last time I saw them perform. As for ABC in my opinion their set was perfectly executed and deserved 1st.

Just because the team you support didn't place where you think they should have isn't necessarily reflection on a judging panel's abilities?

Also teams, show some sportsmanship and have some class and congratulate the teams that did place, no need to make rude gestures to the audience when your team didn't "threepeat". Just saying, parents and impressionable youngsters come watch and leave with a horrible impression of the bhangra community when $hit like that happens. Keep it classy and if you aren't sure how, take a cue from the people around you.
i actually did congratulate the teams that did win:). but i am sorry for my gestures:).

sonehdataweet

There is absolutely NO WAY this competition is rigged. To tell you the truth while watching the competition BC cultural and ABC definitely stood out. WHY, because they were different from everyone else. By having a bazillion gimmicks in a routine – takes away from the form of dance. Yes SGPD and NJ are always creative, they’re the ‘top dogs’ but it wasn’t their greatest. ABC stuck to executing moves properly, having folk elements, and their own style. They didn’t have many gimmicks which I think is a PRO on their behalf.

ABC- 1st place was deserved with yalls hard work and devotion. Glad to see past gimmicks being recycled into cleaner and better gimmicks. It was interesting to see the manja turn into a house. ;) I have mad respect for ABC, you’re trying to make a name for yourselves and are succeeding at it. A prop to all of you, ABC definitely is a elite worthy team!

SGPD and NJ- When you think two Canadian teams like SGPD and NJ, teams are often intimidated and viewers look forward to what new these teams have to bring. Watching their performances last night just looked awkward. Everyone is catching up to their style which makes their performances look bland. I just wasn’t feeling their performances; like this is all SGPD and NJ could do? Has it really gotten to the point where your performances just looks like gimmick express? Has it really gotten to the point to where performances by them don’t look original anymore? However, I will say SGPD I loved the whole jail house theme, mad creative.

PCBCA- I’m quite disappointed that ya’ll didn’t do your greatest last night. Better luck next time boys :(

BC Cultural- Dancers have so much potential! Overall I was pleased with your performance; execution and energy were on point.

Shan-E- Enjoyed watching the performance, I thought the stair gimmick looked mad cute with a girl standing on top. The group of dancers had excellent energy and grace, definitely a team to look out for. This was one of my favorite performances of the night. Props to whoever is coaching this group.

kaalia

You all beef over buckwaas topics, so much beef we can probably make a 10 pound burger patty of beef. Every competition people jump on the winning teams bandwagon or jump off other teams cause they didn't do as well. Stick to your team, do what you gotta do, and show what you got on the stage. Everything else inbetween don't matter. You win some you lose some.

As for the discussion of who won or shoulda won and blah blah blah.... whats done is done, onto the next competition.

Okay thank ju bye

campy614

kaalia said:
You all beef over buckwaas topics, so much beef we can probably make a 10 pound burger patty of beef. Every competition people jump on the winning teams bandwagon or jump off other teams cause they didn't do as well. Stick to your team, do what you gotta do, and show what you got on the stage. Everything else inbetween don't matter. You win some you lose some.

As for the discussion of who won or shoulda won and blah blah blah.... whats done is done, onto the next competition.

Okay thank ju bye
<3

ashita_2784

Hello,

Im Ashita Goswami, President of the Indian Student Association. We are having Diwali Function on 19th Nov at 5 here in Mt Pleasant MI. My Association is looking for enthusiastic bhangra dancers who can perform on our event. Transportation will be covered! Please contact me at goswa1a@cmich.edu or call 989-560-100620!