• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Biggest struggle in bhangra and how you overcame it?

sahab

@Ashley94 started a great thread about rationalizing how much time you spend on bhangra.

http://bhangrateamsforum.com/a/threads/how-do-you-rationalize-to-yourself-and-others-the-amount-of-time-you-spend-on-bhangra.29616/

In a similar note, I wanted to start a conversations about your biggest struggle in bhangra and how you overcame it.

For me, it was rupturing my Achilles tendon 2 weeks before NDC 2017. Our team had a lot of momentum going into the comp, and my injury derailed the momentum. The biggest struggles were that I felt like I let the team down and the FOMO from missing dancing at some of our best performances. I overcame it by realizing that there are a lot more ways to help your team win, even if I you are bound to crutches, and changing my role. Understanding and accepting my change in role, instead of resisting it, helped me stay positive through this struggle.

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
@Ashley94 started a great thread about rationalizing how much time you spend on bhangra.

http://bhangrateamsforum.com/a/threads/how-do-you-rationalize-to-yourself-and-others-the-amount-of-time-you-spend-on-bhangra.29616/

In a similar note, I wanted to start a conversations about your biggest struggle in bhangra and how you overcame it.

For me, it was rupturing my Achilles tendon 2 weeks before NDC 2017. Our team had a lot of momentum going into the comp, and my injury derailed the momentum. The biggest struggles were that I felt like I let the team down and the FOMO from missing dancing at some of our best performances. I overcame it by realizing that there are a lot more ways to help your team win, even if I you are bound to crutches, and changing my role. Understanding and accepting my change in role, instead of resisting it, helped me stay positive through this struggle.
I remember that lol. You hustled during that time

Lally

The most difficult thing for us is finding a dholi and singer for live competitions. Haven't overcome this obstacle yet, so if anyone knows a dholi and singer that would be willing to play and sing for us.. HIT ME UP! We would cover all expenses of course. Thanks!

#comebackSZN

Ashley

Staff member
The most difficult obstacle I've faced in Bhangra was probably just getting started in it in general. Growing up, I was a super shy girl that was always afraid of embarrassing myself. I had no dance experience and didn't like being put on the spot or being watched for that matter. So just putting myself out there, totally out of my element/comfort zone and dealing with the anxiety of messing up or looking silly was the toughest part. But on the other side of fear is growth. I overcame those fears and that new found confidence in myself transcended beyond Bhangra.

PSA: it's never too late to start learning Bhangra and don't be afraid to try!

priyanka.ram1997

My biggest struggle has definitely been feeling like I have plateaued as a dancer. I get super frustrated when I don't see an improvement in my dancing (whether its form, energy, nakhra, etc.) and I get discouraged when I don't see a positive change. Still tryna figure out how to get over that mindset though so I would love to hear how others deal with this!

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
My biggest struggle has definitely been feeling like I have plateaued as a dancer. I get super frustrated when I don't see an improvement in my dancing (whether its form, energy, nakhra, etc.) and I get discouraged when I don't see a positive change. Still tryna figure out how to get over that mindset though so I would love to hear how others deal with this!
sup. just decide you're gonna be 100% on each beat of your set. perfect form, perfect nakrah, perfect energy etc. Aim for that every run through. Watch your videos and see every beat where something dips. notate that and in the next run through, know when those dips happened, and make sure they don't happen again.

mrchicity

Learn how to do other teams' choreo and try to pick up their style. Do that with a bunch of segments from various teams that you love, and pick and choose different styles you'd like to adopt for different moves. Then see how you can improve those moves and make a style of your own.

Last edited:

Shahrukh

The most difficult thing for us is finding a dholi and singer for live competitions. Haven't overcome this obstacle yet, so if anyone knows a dholi and singer that would be willing to play and sing for us.. HIT ME UP! We would cover all expenses of course. Thanks!

#comebackSZN
Story of my life