Cal Bhangra @ Bruin Bhangra 2016

MohitoK

Hey BTF,

Here's Cal's performance video from Bruin 2016. Shoutout once again to Harjot for the high quality video. We had a great time at Bruin this year competing against an absolutely incredible lineup. Thank you Guransh for being a solid liaison and Vaibhav for helping us work through all our technical malfunctions last second.

Jodis
Red - Mohit, Meha
Blue - Adit, Sara
Orange - Manpreet, Mehma
Yellow - Rohan, Harkiren
Green - Gurpreet, Noor
Black - Nikhil, Amrita
Ferozi - Kavan, Nancy
Purple - Tejpal, Chethana

Cal Bhangra @ Bruin 2016: ! No longer available

I'm really proud of the growth we had as a team this season, starting with first year captains and young dancers, and eventually ending with going 16 for the first time on the biggest stage. A couple shoutouts:
  • DholiHardo and Amit were both incredibly easy mixers to work with and helped get us exactly the sound we were looking for.
  • A huge thank you to Sid for taking the time out to make us an extensive critique video on our CSUN set. I can't tell you enough how closely we looked back at our set and execution and tried making everything better.
  • Chethana, Tejpal, Kavan, and Sara, ya'll are awesome for helping us go 16 and being a great influence on all of the dancers on the team.
We would appreciate any feedback and critiques on our performance. Looking forward to hopefully going up against more teams on the circuit next year :)

Rest of season

Legacy of Bhangra [2nd place]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXdgEWL7Hr4

West Coast Bhangra [2nd place]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4hWGnVav8

CSUN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9O9GvhWl8

Vijay

Only watched bruin vid- super clean and refreshing choreo, wasn't overdone or over hyped, great seeing a team all on the same page. Big pimpin remix was too sick and gave me chills...post that mix!

nikkikesav

Absolutely loved the performance!! Red girl was killin it the entire time, major props. I really enjoyed the gimmicks and I think it was definitely creative. The flow between each segment was solid. The only thing I would really say is that I think it's important that people keep form in mind. I don't know what form Cal Bhangra teaches and practices, but I noticed arm placement changed from what it was at first. Just work on not getting too hyped or too tired and forgetting to be clean. But honestly, I think the entire performance was really great.
Can't wait to see what you guys do next year!!

hsingh6

Quick comments for the Bruin video only:

Things I liked:
- Definitely liked the pace of your routine. Im glad that you guys went 16 and stuck to your style and not having a faster paced set, which I think helped you guys out in terms of execution and energy (especially in the first half).
-Thought the intro video/intro was clever!
-Loved the throwback Kalli Kite Ml segment (one of my favorite Cal bhangra segments) and how you guys put a little twist to it.

Things that could be improved:
-I think posture is something you guys can focus on for future competitions. There were times where dancers were too far shrugged over. Having a straight back and strong shoulders will help with execution. Same goes for when going down into betkhas. I noticed a few times that people didnt have correct posture and ended up losing balance when coming up, which affected the next moves.
-Arms seemed to be dropping in some segments.
-There were a couple times in regards to formational aspects that didn't seem to work for me. For example, the two girls dancing in the back at the beginning of fast/josh jhoomar didn't really hit for me. It would have been more appealing for the front 2 guys to have also started dancing with them. Another example was during dhamaal (6:54)where only 2 of the guys would move at a time across the stage. I understand what you guys are trying to accomplish, but it just seemed kind of pointless to have only 2 people in a huge segment move at once (and have only 4 people move total during that mini sequence), especially when it didn't look as clean.

Overall, I thought this was one of the more enjoyable performances from you guys in the recent years!

H

MohitoK

hsingh6 said:
Quick comments for the Bruin video only:

Things I liked:
- Definitely liked the pace of your routine. Im glad that you guys went 16 and stuck to your style and not having a faster paced set, which I think helped you guys out in terms of execution and energy (especially in the first half).
-Thought the intro video/intro was clever!
-Loved the throwback Kalli Kite Ml segment (one of my favorite Cal bhangra segments) and how you guys put a little twist to it.

Things that could be improved:
-I think posture is something you guys can focus on for future competitions. There were times where dancers were too far shrugged over. Having a straight back and strong shoulders will help with execution. Same goes for when going down into betkhas. I noticed a few times that people didnt have correct posture and ended up losing balance when coming up, which affected the next moves.
-Arms seemed to be dropping in some segments.
-There were a couple times in regards to formational aspects that didn't seem to work for me. For example, the two girls dancing in the back at the beginning of fast/josh jhoomar didn't really hit for me. It would have been more appealing for the front 2 guys to have also started dancing with them. Another example was during dhamaal (6:54)where only 2 of the guys would move at a time across the stage. I understand what you guys are trying to accomplish, but it just seemed kind of pointless to have only 2 people in a huge segment move at once (and have only 4 people move total during that mini sequence), especially when it didn't look as clean.

Overall, I thought this was one of the more enjoyable performances from you guys in the recent years!

H

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely take it into account for next season!

MohitoK

Vijay said:
Only watched bruin vid- super clean and refreshing choreo, wasn't overdone or over hyped, great seeing a team all on the same page. Big pimpin remix was too sick and gave me chills...post that mix!

Glad you liked it! We'll be releasing the mix after the fall semester :)