CAL Bhangra (GTV) @ World's Best Bhangra Crew

Manreet

Member
Messages
89
Whats up BTF,


Here's our video from WBBC, thanks once again Harjot for everything that you do!
I also wanted to briefly thank the committee for putting on one of the best competitions that Cal has ever been a part of. The committee made it their goal to make sure that every team grievance, no matter how big or small, was taken care of. I don't think any competition will ever run perfectly, but god damn the effort that AEG put into WBBC was astounding, and Im looking forward to take part in next year's show regardless of what side of the curtain I end up on.


A couple of shoutouts are in order as well, thank you Amar Dholi for jumping in last minute to play dhol for us, Dilbagh for tying our paghs (I've just realized that you've tied my pagh at every east comp Ive been to haha!), Ankush for throwing a great show, Faizan for making the judging process sooo transparent, Cornell and BK for letting us borrow their markers, Bhavi for being the best jodi ever, FCB/Gsingh for a sick ass mix, and to everyone else that helped us out this weekend.


Also, I wanted to congratulate all the teams for their fantastic performances, especially UNC and Cornell. Not only did you guys rip the stage, but my team had a blast hanging out with you guys after the show. We miss you guys :(


And last but not least, I want to personally thank Harjit for being the best co-captain and friend that I could ask for. You helped me a lot this past month through all my ups and downs and Cal wouldn't be the same without you. Leading the team with you this year has helped me grow as an individual and I'm gonna miss you a lot next year. Cheers brother.


Please critique our video with any and all constructive comments you may have. A lot of my guys look to BTF for feedback and we definitely still have a long ways to go.


Cal Bhangra @ Worlds Best Bhangra Crew 2013


Best,
Harjit/Manreet

P.S. A special shoutout to Nathan and his parents for making our banners, the entire team really appreciates all the efforts you guys put in, thank you!!
 

sartajjudge

New Member
Messages
609
I loved this performance. Are the mixes from this year (Burgh) gonna be posted?.... I loved what you guys did with Look Lak.
 

DamanSingh

Member
Messages
849
Sick performance.


Here are some things I loved about it
  • Sher at the beginning. Harjit killed it!
  • The saap segment, loved the song choice
  • The jhoomer segment
  • The choreo to "Pani Da Rang"
  • You guys are always on point with the nakhre
  • The ending segment to "Apne Punjab Varga"
 

Armaan Kapoor

Member
Messages
77
We miss you too buddy, it was awesome chilling with you guys! As always, clean as HELL. Shout out to Harjit for RIPPING that sher and to Bhavi for her sick nakhra. Manreet, you were iight too ;) .
 

HarjitSingh

New Member
Messages
81
Manreet said:
And last but not least, I want to personally thank Harjit for being the best co-captain and friend that I could ask for. You helped me a lot this past month through all my ups and downs and Cal wouldn't be the same without you. Leading the team with you this year has helped me grow as an individual and I'm gonna miss you a lot next year. Cheers brother.
[SIZE=78%]Same to you bro. It's been a great experience captaining the team along with you. Even with all the ups and downs we've dealt with, we pulled through and I'm really happy with where we've ended up.[/SIZE]

sartajjudge said:
I loved this performance. Are the mixes from this year (Burgh) gonna be posted?.... I loved what you guys did with Look Lak.
Yes! We will be posting mixes after Nachda Punjab.


Also, for the general BTF community. We appreciate all the positive comments and it feels great to hear your kind words and what's working for us. But we also want to know what's not working and what we need to improve. Judges' comments have helped us a lot and we are carefully considering their words for future routines. Now, we also want to know what you all think.
 

lakha23

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜਿਊਣਾ
Messages
201
This is what I call perfection, you guys killed it, loved the bedi segment!:D
 

venividivici

Member
Messages
138
Make your formations more interesting. Im not sure if I'm articulating this the right way, but some of my favourite teams like FAUJ, VCU, Empire etc. are always able to do things with their formations that makes me think that was sick.
 

priyam

New Member
Messages
62
Man, I love the west coast! such vibrant sets! I have always loved cal's performances..still remember 'i have a dream' from blowout, and nachda punjab'11 mix is just amazing. the blue girl from nachda and Bhavi are fun to watch & nathan's energy/expressions..so good & harjit & manreet. ha



Ok, back to this performance. Some things I really liked: Harjit's sher, the lights on those banners (coulda been more catchy), khunde song..ahh (had to ask harjit who mixed it), o punjabi bole naaaa..this has to be the best remix i've heard of that, energy during char punjabi was so good, mirza choreo was sooo good ( i love that song, but it seemed odd u guys doing hoye to a sad song/akhiyan cho hanju..LOL ), jugni was gooood, at 7:10 when the lights went out ( they shoulda remained dim for lil longer - it was cool as I was in the audience - and your choreo was still visible), apne punjab varga was really good!!!!

Gluck at Nachda!!!!!
PS: post klasikhz khunde mix as well when u post the mix!! :D
 

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
Messages
714
you folks are mad wicked ill! 8)
 

ramv88

www.dholiram.com
Messages
198
priyam said:
Man, I love the west coast! such vibrant sets! I have always loved cal's performances..still remember 'i have a dream' from blowout, and nachda punjab'11 mix is just amazing. the blue girl from nachda and Bhavi are fun to watch & nathan's energy/expressions..so good & harjit & manreet. ha



Ok, back to this performance. Some things I really liked: Harjit's sher, the lights on those banners (coulda been more catchy), khunde song..ahh (had to ask harjit who mixed it), o punjabi bole naaaa..this has to be the best remix i've heard of that, energy during char punjabi was so good, mirza choreo was sooo good ( i love that song, but it seemed odd u guys doing hoye to a sad song/akhiyan cho hanju..LOL ), jugni was gooood, at 7:10 when the lights went out ( they shoulda remained dim for lil longer - it was cool as I was in the audience - and your choreo was still visible), apne punjab varga was really good!!!!

Gluck at Nachda!!!!!
PS: post klasikhz khunde mix as well when u post the mix!! :D



Attached is their Khunde song.








- Dholi Ram
 

Attachments

anuRAGE

Member
Messages
99
the strongest aspects of Cal Bhangra routines are the smoothness and flow that you guys manage to incorporate throughout and in every set. whether that is in a transition between a slow and fast segment (ex. between dhamaal and the next segment, although I wasnt a big fan of the song after Pani da Rang, jugni there didnt seem to fit as well ) or choreo within a segment, for ex. for the shikke choreo, there isn't a single move thats out of place when it comes to keeping the flow of the segment.


this is a comment only based on my personal preferences, but the only move that I thought could have been placed better (and i'm only mentioning it because you guys have a tendency/style of doing this in routines) is the pickup of khunda after dropping them and doing betkas, you guys pick them on the first beat as the lyrics start rather than picking up them right before to do a move with the khunda at that first beat (idk if this makes sense haha), it is unusual the way you've done it here and it might be what makes it creative and original, but just a personal comment!


This flow, along with every dancer's high energy and very solid nakhra, is a large part of what makes Cal so clean, entertaining, and exceptional among the collegiate teams in the circuit. this seems trivial and not so difficult to accomplish, but having been transitioning into captaincy this year, and without much Bhangra background, I certainly have seen how hard it can be to create such a well-flowing routine, so hats off to all of you and especially the captains for making and executing these routines for the past two seasons (that I've been watching at least)! also, definitely agree that this is of the best mixing/use of Look Lak I've seen this year, the slow down idea was excellent and you executed it very well :)
 

yomamajama

Active Member
Messages
230
great performance and great sher at the beginning. I think the next matchup should pit cal vs vcu, that would be a really interesting matchup to watch.
 

Saab

Today is a gift
Messages
991
Also don't forget to check out the mixes!


https://soundcloud.com/first-class-beats/sets/cal-bhangra-mixes-2013
 
Top