• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Cigarettes Price Goes Up!

Mukandpuria

not sure how many people smoke(i don't)

but cigarettes prices are going up extra $1.30 in Mass. This will make a box cost between $6-7 billz!
This i believe is due to the recession we might be in.

My only beef with this is my dad owns grocery stores and he is losing sales because people are now going to NH to buy cigarettes.
I just think its messed up how our economy is taking such a huge hit and the little people suffer

any thoughts on this or anyone else know the price of something else that is going up...i know atta has gone up to!

Ashveer

Not to be an ass, but the losing business from your grocery stores seems trivial in comparison to many of those in our community whose mainstay is driving ( taxis/trucks) who are in a huge world of hurt right now, with very few options to mediate their situation.
Prices are going up worldwide. The weak dollar, the housing market crash, rising world food prices, grim estimates, and of course the surge in fuel prices have coalesced to a certain moment that sucks for most anyone in the world.

Jeeti

Yes, very true Ashveer...everyone is being impacted...this is common though during recessions...it can't just be one aspect of the market that is impacted since the global economy is so interdependent....we are gonna have quite a rough stretch for some time, but I think we will bounce back hopefully sooner than later despite the grim estimates. Demand for oil will eventually come down, which will at least help the rest of the market that is dependent on it.

Nikhil

Jeeti I haven't read too much about prices for oil coming down. Have you come across anything in the newspaper or from any news source? If so, link it up yoo..

Jeeti

Nikhil brother...I wasn't saying that I read anything that oil prices will come down, I'm saying that it's inevitable that demand has to go down with prices so high (alternative energy sources will reduce demand, make take some time, but it has to happen)....I was just trying to be optimistic...that's all...BUT

I did read something in Time magazine that was interesting...It said We get the majority of our oil from Canada and Mexico...which begs the question of why the Middle Eastern countries end up being the center of attention when the oil supply is brought up. It completely confused me, and to that I have no answer...the only answer I came up with is that since our relations with Canada and Mexico are relatively well-founded , they are less of a concern? I have no idea.

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
GO VOTE!!! seriously, people think it doesnt make a difference...IT DOES. you are not just voting for the candidate but laws too.
for example, in CA we had a proposition dealing cigarettes prices going...and the people voted NO. thats only one but there are many laws that the citizens are allowed to vote on....im not sure if it is in every state.

but the prices, yes we might see these going up and down...in Sacramento, CA our gas prices went down. Housing is stable now...we are still building a lot though.

Abhishek...my dad has a grocery store too but the cigarettes has not made much of a difference but then again people can not go to the next state since its 3hrs east and ours cigarette prices are $3.50 - $4.00....

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Jeeti said:
Nikhil brother...I wasn't saying that I read anything that oil prices will come down, I'm saying that it's inevitable that demand has to go down with prices so high (alternative energy sources will reduce demand, make take some time, but it has to happen)
Our oil addiction won't decrease for some time. It takes time to get alternative infrastructures and technologies in place. Also, analysts have said that up to 40% of the price of our $140/barrel oil is due to speculators, not supply/demand.

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
My understanding of the issue with Mid-East oil is two-fold:

1) demand is so tight that an increase in the cost of just 15% of the oil market has a huge impact. It's not as if we can supplement the expensive oil with Canadian oil...and since demand is so high, that forces the customer to pay the increased price.

2) most of that oil is OPEC controlled, so it's directly impacted by individual decision as opposed to market factors. And since the countries in OPEC (including Venezuela) are not our great friends....it's a lot of tension since it's clear any 'goodwill' from us is really oil policy masked as foreign relations (Not that oil shouldn't play a HUGE part of our foreign relations policy, but it's liek admitting to a woman you only care about her for the sex, truthful but not flattering and not a good strategy).

Also it's important to remember that we still are not at the crisis of the 80s, where gas actually was not available, period. This is arguably worse because the increased prices and still high supply is hemorraghing cash out of every industry (everything involves transportation of something). We're basically bleeding a slow economic death towards depression.

PS oil prices were artificially suppressed for years (also thanks to OPEC and government subsidies) so we're actually at what the prices should have been for about a decade (well, the higher side which is why they should drop a little within the coming year but not by much).

Jeeti

Swi said:
Not that oil shouldn't play a HUGE part of our foreign relations policy, but it's liek admitting to a woman you only care about her for the sex, truthful but not flattering and not a good strategy).

HAHAHHAHHAHA OH MAN....THAT IS SUCH A WONDERFUL ANALOGY. Brilliant.

Sunny

Capital Bhangra
gas prices actually went down for the first time in a couple months this week in the sacramento area ,it wasnt much of a decrease but anything is better than 4.59 for unleaded

Manjot

every1 here got $100 in the mail...every member of the household..for the high price of the fuel lol...atleast something