Cornell Bhangra - Bhangra Blowout XIX [Center HD View]

partyanmol9

First off the ripple effect is really overdone in bhangra, cut it out, its not original anymore and can't be used in every song.

Second, personally I hate the use of cones and other objects to set formations too. It is nice to know that you care to have good formations but create them organically, this isn't a soccer match and it really takes away from the performance.

Other then that this wasn't a first place performance but neither was it a mediocre performance. Would need to see rest of videos for comparison. Cleanliness and energy were great. Formations were average. Originality was average. Ending was weak.

sgrewal30

Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
soniadewett said:
In a judging perspective, some judges might give more points to a team who goes on 8-9 minutes nonstop? A team who has minimal pauses yet, still remains clean and energetic?
from my experience, judges do NOT give more points for this.
^true, if anything, pauses between segments get noticed if they're sloppy or look like a break.
^ from my experience, this is also not true. Often judges do not notice teams stopping for 4-8 beats. They also dont reward teams for having longer sets with minimal breaks
its been noticed, ive seen it happen with live teams here plenty of times

Shahrukh

sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
soniadewett said:
In a judging perspective, some judges might give more points to a team who goes on 8-9 minutes nonstop? A team who has minimal pauses yet, still remains clean and energetic?
^true, if anything, pauses between segments get noticed if they're sloppy or look like a break.
^ from my experience, this is also not true. Often judges do not notice teams stopping for 4-8 beats. They also dont reward teams for having longer sets with minimal breaks
like i said from MY experiences from the 20 or so competitions that I have danced in, it has gone unnoticed

Ashveer

Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
soniadewett said:
like i said from MY experiences from the 20 or so competitions that I have danced in, it has gone unnoticed
From MY experiences DAMNNN DOGGGG

Shahrukh

Ashveer said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
soniadewett said:
lol

sgrewal30

Shahrukh said:
Ashveer said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
sgrewal30 said:
Shahrukh said:
soniadewett said:
lol
Glad to see things from your perspective, but it can't be ruled out because you haven't seen it happen.

KushK

partyanmol9 said:
Second, personally I hate the use of cones and other objects to set formations too. It is nice to know that you care to have good formations but create them organically, this isn't a soccer match and it really takes away from the performance.
Just try not to look at them =)

Shahrukh

sgrewal30 said:
Glad to see things from your perspective, but it can't be ruled out because you haven't seen it happen.
im not ruling it out, im just saying that i havent seen it happen.

dheerja

That dubstep section was the best integration of a non-bhangra dance I have EVER SEEN in a routine. EVER. I've literally watched it 20 times.

sdadoo15

Staff member
this was easily one of my favorite performances of the night! the energy was unbelievable throughout the entire performance, however the set was a little bland. you guys have the energy and the potential to do really well. if you guys can come up with an even more entertaining set in the future, along with the energy that you guys have, you will do really well at comps. great job guys!

p.s. the light up saaps looked soooo sick. it came out perfect

smehta313

partyanmol9 said:
First off the ripple effect is really overdone in bhangra, cut it out, its not original anymore and can't be used in every song.

UNC uses the ripple effect in so many parts of their segments. If it is clean, it will look fine or sick depending on what you're doing.

Nothing is distracting about the cones, lot of teams use it.

dheerja said:
That dubstep section was the best integration of a non-bhangra dance I have EVER SEEN in a routine. EVER. I've literally watched it 20 times.

+1
I remember a few blowouts ago, 17 i believe, there was a Wizard of Oz theme and Cornell used a popping segment in the beginning with the tin man. That was sick then too, but they took it to a whole 'nother level with the way it was incorporated here.

One thing I noticed right away was 8:22 - 8:29, the pull-the-imaginary-rope-bring-the-other-dancers-closer move, looks a bit sloppy with 2 people and AEG clearly did that before, but besides that performance was sick.

Anik915

smehta313 said:
partyanmol9 said:

UNC uses the ripple effect in so many parts of their segments. If it is clean, it will look fine or sick depending on what you're doing.

Nothing is distracting about the cones, lot of teams use it.

dheerja said:

+1
I remember a few blowouts ago, 17 i believe, there was a Wizard of Oz theme and Cornell used a popping segment in the beginning with the tin man. That was sick then too, but they took it to a whole 'nother level with the way it was incorporated here.

One thing I noticed right away was 8:22 - 8:29, the pull-the-imaginary-rope-bring-the-other-dancers-closer move, looks a bit sloppy with 2 people and AEG clearly did that before, but besides that performance was sick.

Thanks for your comments! really appreciate the support and feedback.

Just to clarify on your last point, Cornell first did this gimmick at last year's blowout (before AEG) (go to 7:23):[SIZE=78%]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ieom3m88JFI#t=442s[/SIZE]

blackbhaislo

This definitely ranks as one of Cornell's top performances ever! And that's saying a lot given their long history on this circuit. Congrats to everyone on the team, you all danced wonderfully. Special shout-out to the girl in orange, she is amazing =)

sp2721

damn. cornell, this performance was fantastic; was a big fan of the overall product, and segment for segment, this routine definitely hit HARD. gimmicks were on point (magnetic daangs worked WAY better than at burgh, and the dubstep guy was just awesome), and overall execution was great.

very sorry to hear about what happened judging-wise, this performance was definitely placeworthy in my opinion. hope to see you guys build on it next year, and best of luck with pao!

himynameis

partyanmol9 said:

Sorry im a noob here, can anyone explain what the ripple effect is?

ban3rg

himynameis said:
partyanmol9 said:
Sorry im a noob here, can anyone explain what the ripple effect is?

its when one jodi squats, then the one next to it squats, then the next, and so on. Otherwise known as domino effect, staggering your moves across dancers or jodis :)