• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Cost for 5-6 mins bhangra mix

bhangrafrealk

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know how much would a 5-6 mins of bhangra mix cost. Just wanted to know the rough estimate since I have no idea on this.

Thanks in advance :)

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
depends on so many factors. how many versions, how many changes, deadlines, etc. Can range from 200 - 800

scaplash

Husky Bhangra (retired); KWG; GR
On average, I have seen 7-8 minute mixes go for around 500-650 for the year, some DJs will go up to like 850.

baljot

scaplash said:
On average, I have seen 7-8 minute mixes go for around 500-650 for the year, some DJs will go up to like 850.
850!? This mix better get you first place just stepping on the stage

rajiv0224

Lol $850. Just to put it in perspective, that's roughly 658 Taco Bell bean burritos (assuming they are $1.29 each, not including tax). So if you ate one bean burrito for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and nothing else, that amount of burritos would last roughly 7 months.

Prabhzy

Just to put things in perspective.. the most expensive mix a UK mixer would make would cost $500-550. I dont who's charging 850 and why?

scaplash

Husky Bhangra (retired); KWG; GR
Lol yes, it was a ridiculous price, so we didn't take it-just thought I'd give an upper limit.

rajiv0224 said:
Lol $850. Just to put it in perspective, that's roughly 658 Taco Bell bean burritos (assuming they are $1.29 each, not including tax). So if you ate one bean burrito for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and nothing else, that amount of burritos would last roughly 7 months.

Thank you for the Taco Bell conversion-if I were a DJ that would probably be my main form of payment-Taco Bell

Prabhzy

scaplash said:
Lol yes, it was a ridiculous price, so we didn't take it-just thought I'd give an upper limit.

rajiv0224 said:

Thank you for the Taco Bell conversion-if I were a DJ that would probably be my main form of payment-Taco Bell

Or KFC...

Mitra

Ive paid around 400-600. I think thats probably average for most collegiate teams. Never heard of 850 lawlzzzz

Shyam

The $850 charge is insane but Sonny is not making it up. I too have been given a similar quote by a fairly popular mixer in the circuit lol. 500-600 is definitely fair

hardeep_singh

how is $400 fair for a mix at all? ???
let me try to wrap my mind around this
for $400 you get:
a 5-6 minute bhangra mix most likely made by some clueless kid who barely has an understanding of the punjabi language, who uses a bootleg version of acid pro 7 like 98% of the desi kids out there who claim to be dj's/mixers. along with not having a complete understanding of punjabi songs, these kids also don't have a good understanding of bhangra, AND they're also just layering in the same instrumental loops as everyone else in an attempt to "hype" up the mix. then they go and use the same generic popular songs everyone else is using, partly out of laziness, partly because dumb teams these days love to fail at staying ahead of trends. so you end up with a mix that has no thematic flow or cohesiveness, songs distorted and remixed to hell completely destroying the original essence of the songs, a mix that makes it almost impossible to craft a bhangra set that flows well. you pay $400 for what is probably 4-10 hrs of work(if you can call it that) for a mix that is already stale before it's done being played for the first time at a competition and you're stuck with that same shitty mix for a few more performances/competitions because apparently a mix costs $400.

to be fair, i would pay $400 for a mix...if it:
1. wasn't layered with shitty effects and clips to hell and back, having 200 layers in a mix isn't creativity, it's ignorance and idiocy, you're trying to hide your lack of talent behind a pile of flashy crap, congratulations you're a kardashian
2. used proper music, mixing random angreji music isn't progressive, it's just an easy way to kill flow
3. stayed away from popular songs, that one song that's big right now, ya everyone else has it too....and they're also planning on using it....at the same competition
4. highlighted the songs properly, my rule for remixes applies for performance mixes, if you modify a song it should sound better than original version, if not you suck
5. had good flow, TEMPO AND THEME!!!!! songs should flow from one to the next, if a mix flows well the dancing will flow well

so teams, save yourself $400 and make your own mixes, even if it sounds like crap it's still less besti cuz a mix you paid $400 will probably sound just as shitty except you'd be out $400

PartyJatt

hardeep_singh said:
to be fair, i would pay $400 for a mix...if it:
1. wasn't layered with shitty effects and clips to hell and back, having 200 layers in a mix isn't creativity, it's ignorance and idiocy, you're trying to hide your lack of talent behind a pile of flashy crap, congratulations you're a kardashian
2. used proper music, mixing random angreji music isn't progressive, it's just an easy way to kill flow
3. stayed away from popular songs, that one song that's big right now, ya everyone else has it too....and they're also planning on using it....at the same competition
4. highlighted the songs properly, my rule for remixes applies for performance mixes, if you modify a song it should sound better than original version, if not you suck
5. had good flow, TEMPO AND THEME!!!!! songs should flow from one to the next, if a mix flows well the dancing will flow well
The only mixer that comes to mind when checking off this list would be Harman Toor from NYPD imo.

Manjot

I guess if someone is charging $850 for a mix then you can't really stop them lol other than complaining about it. If its from a popular mixer then its somewhat understandable because there would be lot of requests and if you can make the same amount of money making less mixes, why not.

$850 is pretty ridiculous though lol ~$500 is pretty normal

hardeep_singh

a friend of mine in the punjabi music industry told me a few yrs ago that reputable producers will charge $800~$1000 on the low end to produce and master original songs. so for the cost of 2 generic/shitty bhangra mixes you could have an original punjabi track produced and mastered. stick that in your pipe and smoke it

GSingh

hardeep_singh said:
a friend of mine in the punjabi music industry told me a few yrs ago that reputable producers will charge $800~$1000 on the low end to produce and master original songs. so for the cost of 2 generic/shitty bhangra mixes you could have an original punjabi track produced and mastered. stick that in your pipe and smoke it

Dr. Zeus charges roughly 6000 pounds for a single song. I could be wrong in the amount since all that is kind of withheld info but it doesn't sound unreasonable since pretty much everything he touches gets tons of hits.

As for mixing. I think for a SINGLE mix -- meaning one and done no progressive changes -- the very top end should be around 650-700. It really just comes down to supply and demand. If the mixer is getting tons of requests but really only has time to do a couple, then he's able to charge whatever teams are willing to pay. There's been a huge decline in the number of mixers in the circuit over the past few years but I'm happy to see that there are more and more guys comin up!

Danny

Whoa this is insane. Part of the fun is having someone on the team learning how to mix (or even design a logo, gear, etc.) and growing with them. You get realtime input from your crew, immediate changes, and at the end of the day it's YOUR VISION.

Advice: half of those effects and widgets in the mix you get sold on won't even matter in the grand scheme of things while on stage.