Da Real Punjabiz (DRP) 2016 - 2017 Season

Sehj

Staff member
Hey everyone!

DRP had a rollercoaster of a year this past season, but we couldn't have been happier with how it went! None of it would have been the same had the following people not done what they did:

• Shubhreen for captaining us throughout the year
  • Luv for sticking it through like 6 years. Gonna miss you and your jhummar close ups dude :(
  • Angela for driving 4 hours 4 times a week to practice with us. We had 0 excuses to feel bad at practice because of that. (Also, thanks for entrusting your makhana idea to me, hope I did that amazing concept the justice it deserved!)
  • Harji for coming back for Bruin and still helping hella when time was very limited
  • All of our alumni that still come and support us after so many years
  • GSimz and Jackie for the mixes throughout the year. Y'all were fire
  • The rest of the DRP squad for dancing and supporting each other throughout the year. We all got college to worry about but, at the end of the day, it's always such an amazing feeling coming together with people who love to dance just as much as you do. Love y'all sooo much
Without further ado, DRP would like to present our videos from the 2016 - 2017 Competetive Season:

DRP - Bruin Bhangra 2017 Mix
Bruin Bhangra 2017 - (3rd Place)
(GTV Link is down)
Roster:
Black: Ipsita Praharaj, Shubhreen Kaur, Harji Charaia, Dhruv Patel
Blue: Raina Ahuja, Tanaya Sawant, Sartaj Singh, Luvreet Sangha
Red:Simi Gill, Mehr Singh, Sehj Singh, Rajan Bhullar
Purple:Angela Luo, Rekha Nagarajan, Sager Singh, Gurnaaz Randhawa
Chimta: Ashmita Kaur

Boston Bhangra 2016
Roster:

Black: Tushara Govind, Mehr Singh, Luvreet Sangha
Blue: Ipsita Praharaj, Angela Luo, Sartaj Singh
Red: Raina Ahuja, Riya Sony, Rajan Bhullar
Purple: Shubhreen Kaur, Simi Gill, Arjune Nibber
Chimta: Rameet Gill

West Coast Bhangra 2017
Roster:

Black: Ipsita Praharaj, Shubhreen Kaur, Gurnaaz Randhawa, Sager Singh
Red: Tanaya Sawant, Raina Ahuja, Luvreet Sangha, Sartaj Singh
Purple: Anglea Luo, Rekha Nagarajan, Rajan Bhullar, Sehj Singh
Dholi: Rujual Bains
Chimta: Sahib Athwal

Nachle Deewane 2017 - (1st Place)
Roster:

Blue: Rekha Nagarajan, Angela Luo, Sehj Singh, Rajan Bhullar
Red: Ipsita Praharaj, Shubhreen Kaur, Gurnaaz Randhawa, Arjune Nibber
Purple: Tanaya Sawant, Raina Ahuja, Luvreet Sangha, Sartaj Singh

Chimta: Koodrut Panesar

Las Vegas Mela 2017
Roster:

Blue: Riya Sony, Tanaya Sawant, Sartaj Panesar, Akum Grewal
Red: Mehr Singh, Simi Gill, Sehj Singh, Rajan Bhullar
Purple: Koodrut Panesar, Ashmita Kaur, Sahib Athwal, Sager Singh

We hope y'all enjoyed these performances! Feedback is very much appreciated! We plan on carrying this Saga proudly next year as well ;)

Last edited:

sumeetj

you guys are always awesome to watch and know how to really impact an audience. mad props for competing so often as well, especially pulling things off like coming to Boston with 8 girls and 4 guys, etc. The fact that your team is willing to do things like that and give dancers the opportunity to perform and kill it on stage is pretty awesome.

I didn't get a chance to see your Bruin performance live - but on watching the video and seeing some wow factors like the love story scene, which I thought was super awesome, I can see why people were raving about your performance. I think the prop throws you guys did were impressive (i.e. throwing saaps with crazy accuracy), but at some point it kind of felt like you maybe had choreo-ed some normal choreo and threw a toss in (no pun intended) just to fill a gap or something - and knowing how creative you guys are, I think I just expect each wow factor you have to be produced at a higher level of complexity (even something as simple as using the banner to do the khundey throws like you did last year).

Regardless, you guys are always a crowd-pleasing, super high energy team, and props for maintaining your distinct identity through all these years

Excellent, loved the videos. Like Sumeet mentioned, DRP always brings that distinct flair to each competition. Every time we competed against DRP, we knew y'all would bring your A-game with your cool gimmicks and crowd-pleasing nakhra and always sought to watch your performances live (videos don't do justice unfortunately :(:( ). That being said, I did enjoy last year Bruin's performance from y'all more, but this one was still super fun to watch :):) Hope y'all continue to kill it next year, I have high hopes!

Sehj

Staff member
@Sehj If you can answer this, what was the reason that you guys got 3rd instead of 2nd at bruin?
In my opinion, we got 3rd as opposed to 2nd for a variety of different reasons. The biggest quality that our performance lacked, as opposed to the teams that placed higher, was cleanliness. This applies to all aspects of our performance starting from larger problems such as formational inconsistencies and even including issues as small as differing individual dancer technique. Lack of cleanliness to this degree inevitably takes away the visual appeal of any performance. NSG’s set was built to be fun and entertaining for bruin, as was ours; however, they executed their set much better, which was one of the possible deciding factors between the placings.

sahab

In my opinion, we got 3rd as opposed to 2nd for a variety of different reasons. The biggest quality that our performance lacked, as opposed to the teams that placed higher, was cleanliness. This applies to all aspects of our performance starting from larger problems such as formational inconsistencies and even including issues as small as differing individual dancer technique. Lack of cleanliness to this degree inevitably takes away the visual appeal of any performance. NSG’s set was built to be fun and entertaining for bruin, as was ours; however, they executed their set much better, which was one of the possible deciding factors between the placings.
Thanks for the info!

Murali Palathinkara

Really enjoyed watching your sets! In the past, you guys always leave an impact when you perform and this year was no different! Loved the jhuumar segment at Bruin especially!

Howie Magz

Congrats on a good season this year DRP. The overall evolution of you guys has been great throughout the year especially with the dancer turnover that occurs every year for college teams. From a Bruin set perspective, the props were very weak this time around. Saaps and Khunday were relatively boring in comparison to the other parts of the set. The jhoomer in the beginning and also the hankerchief gimmick were great and sold it for me. Overall dancer quality has dipped, but that is understandable because of the new talent you guys have acquired this year. The overall nahkra was missing from half your dancers and you can tell smiles looked forced and some people even looked nervous. Since a lot of the newbies are now more seasoned dancers, I'm really interested in seeing how you guys perform this time around. Expect big things from y'all.