Date announcement: Elite 8 Bhangra Invitational 2014

Elite 8 Bhangra

New Member
Messages
128
[SIZE=medium]Elite 8 Bhangra Invitational[/SIZE]
Battle of the East

October 25, 2014


More details coming soon...
 

sammyk

Dancing is not just fun, but also a privilege.
Messages
28
Excited to see Elite come back!! October 25th is going to be wild with both Elite and TDot!!
 

sartajjudge

New Member
Messages
609
Glad to see it's coming back, but surprised with the date. Considering 2/3 of the Elite 8 winners were University teams, I think having the comp. in October is a disadvantage to college teams because with students graduating every year from teams, most of the teams have to start from scratch (with a relatively new roster) in September. This would give them only two months to get ready for Elite 8 vs an independent team which likely has a consistent roster that isn't affected as much by the start of a new school year. Just my thought, but I think a valid one.
 

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
Finally! Been a while but the wait will prolly be worth it!
 

nkrishnan

Member
Messages
146
sartajjudge said:
Glad to see it's coming back, but surprised with the date. Considering 2/3 of the Elite 8 winners were University teams, I think having the comp. in October is a disadvantage to college teams because with students graduating every year from teams, most of the teams have to start from scratch (with a relatively new roster) in September. This would give them only two months to get ready for Elite 8 vs an independent team which likely has a consistent roster that isn't affected as much by the start of a new school year. Just my thought, but I think a valid one.

second this
 

disharma1317

disharmz
Messages
230
Surprised by the date, as TDot announced theirs awhile ago, but all the best to both competitions! The October deadline is definitely going to be difficult for collegiate teams. If teams that are considered "elite" this past year are being invited to compete in the fall, there's roster changes, possibly some changes in captaincy, getting new dancers up to par, new sets to choreograph and new formations to devise. Logistically, it doesn't seem realistic for a collegiate team to go into a comp of this magnitude so early on in the season and expect to do well. On the other hand, I'd love to be proved wrong. Also, why is this just being limited to the East? Does anyone know?
 

rbansal4494

Member
Messages
80
DDA was pretty early last year if i remember correctly (mid October?) and both UVA and GMU placed so I'd say if a collegiate team is invited, while it might be slightly more difficult depending on the amount of returning dancers, it definitely is possible! I'm curious about this whole "Battle of the East" though - can't wait for more details!
 

yomamajama

Active Member
Messages
230
Why do college teams have to be part of the comp at all? I thought blowout was the elite 8 for college teams.. Get the best club teams out there like njw, virsa, aeg, sgpd, knightz, and 3 other teams and you'll have a proper elite 8.
 

faysal

New Member
Messages
889
battle of the east...then west....then uber elite from the top 3/4 of each in a final comp? only logical thing that comes to mind.
 

SGupta7

Member
Messages
109
yomamajama said:
Why do college teams have to be part of the comp at all? I thought blowout was the elite 8 for college teams.. Get the best club teams out there like njw, virsa, aeg, sgpd, knightz, and 3 other teams and you'll have a proper elite 8.

As a dancer and fan, watching 8 elite all guys teams is great. But I can see how a less informed audience could potentially get bored after the first few teams. Having collegiate teams breaks up the monotony and adds variation to the competition. And it adds to the reach of the competition.


Collegiate teams have been holding their own on the circuit for a while so I think the argument about the competition being early in the season is a valid one that will affect how a collegiate team can prepare and perform. While DDA was early on last year, I know that UVA (not sure about GMU) competed with some of the same segments that they had taken to competitions the year before. Collegiate teams are usually pretty good about starting the season with a completely new set and having the competition that early won't allow collegiate teams to do that.


Either way, should be a great show and i'm definitely looking forward to hearing the lineup!
 

sammyk

Dancing is not just fun, but also a privilege.
Messages
28
faysal said:
battle of the east...then west....then uber elite from the top 3/4 of each in a final comp? only logical thing that comes to mind.

that would definitely be a hell of a show, maybe add UK teams into the mix of teams in the East also. GCC and JVD have been fun to watch
 

sartajjudge

New Member
Messages
609
yomamajama said:
Why do college teams have to be part of the comp at all? I thought blowout was the elite 8 for college teams.. Get the best club teams out there like njw, virsa, aeg, sgpd, knightz, and 3 other teams and you'll have a proper elite 8.

Considering Cal Bhangra and Cornell Bhangra haven't been in the Blowout lineup for the past two years I'd have to disagree that Blowout is a true Elite 8 of college teams.
 

uvache

New Member
Messages
18
Considering Cal Bhangra and Cornell Bhangra haven't been in the Blowout lineup for the past two years I'd have to disagree that Blowout is a true Elite 8 of college teams.



^^Agreed 100%.


Anyways, excited to see the lineup!
 

yomamajama

Active Member
Messages
230
uvache said:
Considering Cal Bhangra and Cornell Bhangra haven't been in the Blowout lineup for the past two years I'd have to disagree that Blowout is a true Elite 8 of college teams.



^^Agreed 100%.


Anyways, excited to see the lineup!
Alright, how about making elite 8 all club, blowout all college, then other mixed comps. Winners from each get priority bid to bruin since it's the last comp of the year and everyone watches it.
 

Armaan Kapoor

Member
Messages
77
yomamajama said:
uvache said:
Considering Cal Bhangra and Cornell Bhangra haven't been in the Blowout lineup for the past two years I'd have to disagree that Blowout is a true Elite 8 of college teams.



^^Agreed 100%.


Anyways, excited to see the lineup!
Alright, how about making elite 8 all club, blowout all college, then other mixed comps. Winners from each get priority bid to bruin since it's the last comp of the year and everyone watches it.




That probably won't happen lol. They're completely separate competitions and entities.

Adding on to Shawn's point, collegiate teams bring their own style to competitions. They should definitely be allowed to be a part of Elite 8 if they're up to par. Case in point, VCU and UNC.
 

kman58

Active Member
Messages
190
Limiting the competition to the east coast (if that's what they mean by "Battle of the East") throws in teams like AEG and Virsa for sure but fails to include teams like BK, AG, and Empire (not to mention teams like JVD from the UK). Regarding colleges; while it's true teams like UVA and Cornell might be able to compete and put on a full set, since it's so early in the season, we may not get the fine-tuned, well crafted choreo and mixes we would expect at a performance like Elite 8 that we've seen in the past.


I'm from DC though so regardless I'm PUMPED to see this live!!! Should be an amazing event either way good luck to the organizers!
 
Top