Dhol Help

djjag

Hey,

So I live in an apartment and can't really practice playing the dhol because it's too loud and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ways to muffle the noise a bit or any other alternatives. I'd really appreciate the help thanks.

Jabar Jung

Go to a park during the after noon times when no ones around, but i go anytime people gather around lol..

Play in your car. Passenger seat.

JupMasterG

i dont know what to say about muffling the sound but you dont wanna untighten your skins too much to muffle the sound because too tight/loose can increase chances of ripping either side.

but if you have more than one dhol, you could use one for performances and for the other stuff it with a pillow lol. pillow will absorb the sound and it will barely make any noise at all...good in your case to practice since you live in an apt

TDG

@ Groundshaker 2
If you don't go with the pillow idea (I would recommend the same) you can also take a towel and put it over both ends. The towel will absorb majority of the sound trying to travel out.

-TheDholGuy

AWall23

you can even put one pillow against each side from the outside and play, that muffles the sound pretty well