• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

DHOL SKIN HELP

Hardeep

UoB Bhangra & Gabru Chel Chabileh [GCC]
Hi Guyz

When looking for a dhol skin (Tilli side, eg, Remo), what type of tone are you looking for?.

The higher the tone, the better, or the lower the tone, the better?

This is because I was on the REMO website, and they have a range of skins, describing it's tone.

Which is the BEST REMO SKIN for the dhol in terms of quality of sound?

Thankss

H G

Tone is a range of the pitch ...So a skin with a Dark rating will have to be tightened like crazy to get a high pitch (if it's possible) and the Bright skin will be high pitched easily

Sustain is the length of time you'll hear the note after hitting the skin (Ebony Ambassadors have a crazy ringing sound after you hit it) so IMO the more sustain the better because you'll be able to hear the note for a little bit longer and if your skin is tuned to be high pitched, it'll be reallllllly loud.

Durability I'm assuming is how strong the skin is (i.e. from being stretched over your dhol rim)

Hardeep

UoB Bhangra & Gabru Chel Chabileh [GCC]
Thanks mate! Really descriptive and helpful. Appreciate the help.

Just to ask: Would you say that EBONY AMBASSADOR is probably the best treble skin??

Are there any other REMO Skins which you recommend?

H G

Honestly, there is no BEST treble skin...It all depends on your taste, because the Ebony Ambassador kinda sounds like you're hitting a patheela (metal-ish sound) whereas other skins may sound a bit different...

I would recommend getting it though, I have it on both of my dhols and I won't be changing them for a looooooong time

monisingh

i use a remo clear diplomat and the sustain is better than the black gbc i used to have on it and the pitch is very easy to get high but it depends on how you tune it i find that when tuning thili`s i can get a better sound by tuning it bolt to bolt(tighten one bolt 2 turns then go to the bolt across to it and tune that one 2 turns)

monisingh

superdholi1994 said:
which western head is the best? remo or evans?

it all depends on personal preference Personally I prefer remo mostly because I have`nt bothered to try evans... but find the right thickness (between 5mm and 13mm single ply only) the 13mm is a remo tattoo skin my buddy has it on his dhol and it sounds pretty bad ass it sounds as open as the clear remo, and the 5mm to 7mm are gbc heads, one of the best heads for a dhol but can have low durability if your constantly tuning them because you put your dhol in a room where the temp fluctuates alot but very good skin

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Thanks @monisingh i always have gbc right now for 2 years and i think it sounds bright with long sustain to my ears :)

JupMasterG

ive used many different remo heads, but GBC heads are still my first choice of preference. ‎I agree with moni though, out of all the remo's ive tried, the weatherking Diplomat is definitely the best...Sounds wayy better than the ebony ambassador. Ive used the black ebony as well. recently took it off and put a new diplomat on it. overall sound difference is much better. ebony is harder to tune, the diplomat is thinner so its a bit easier to tune and isnt as "metal-ish"

monisingh

JupMasterG said:
ive used many different remo heads, but GBC heads are still my first choice of preference. ‎I agree with moni though, out of all the remo's ive tried, the weatherking Diplomat is definitely the best...Sounds wayy better than the ebony ambassador. Ive used the black ebony as well. recently took it off and put a new diplomat on it. overall sound difference is much better. ebony is harder to tune, the diplomat is thinner so its a bit easier to tune and isnt as "metal-ish"
I know its been a while since the last post but jupmasterg are you using the clear diplomat or another I had the clear diplomat it had the remo metal ish sound but not as much as the ambassadors but overall sounded way better in my opinion

LearnTheDhol

Study the Dhol in NYC!
as has been said, no such thing as the "best." I tend to like remo fiberskyns, remo renaissance ambassadors (more tone and sustain), or evans J1 heads. was never nuts about the ebony ambassadors.

CrankD Music

"Know the name, Know the game"
JupMasterG said:
I use to put remos on my dhol then had some problems i like the desi skins the best GBC! best sound, but u can throw the you old used remo on ur bass side aswell jus poke holes the same way and strestch the plastic with your dagga. You might need to put some tape on the inside before installing it to make it heavier.. but it sounds soo beat ... jus a quick thought aha dont throw away stretched remos u can use them for many other things on your dhol.