dhol sound sustain problem

monisingh

ok so I had this drum for a year now and it sounded great when I first got it, but since january ive been noticing that no matter what skin I put on it like remo ,evans or gbc it does not have a lot of sound sustain anymore, I always tuned it the same way...put the skin on then protection ring on top and tightened each hook with my fingers as much as I could with my fingers ( so that you start off with even tightness on the treble before tuning it with a wrench), then I would do one full turn with a wrench on each hook and go around until it sounds nice and high pitched but for some reason my drum doesn`t want to have a good amount of sound sustain like how it used to, my newer drum is tuned the same way and it has a good amount of sustain and its high pitched, but my old drum that im having problems with does not want to be tuned high and have good sound sustain like it used to...any solutions ?

HarmanToor

Nachde Yaar Punjab De
are there any imperfections on the wood along the ring where you place the drum head on? I hear that can effect the way the skin vibrates when you hit it, in turn distorting the quality of the sound produced from that side of the dhol.

monisingh

HarmanToor said:
are there any imperfections on the wood along the ring where you place the drum head on? I hear that can effect the way the skin vibrates when you hit it, in turn distorting the quality of the sound produced from that side of the dhol.

saw your reply and decided to check it out, the kinar is pretty much perfect except for 1 spot about 2 or 3 inches in length where the sloped angle ends and it ends about 2 millimeters higher than the rest of the edge of the angled part on the kinar, ill even it out and see if makes a difference, but I don`t think this is the problem because if it was like this the whole time and only now noticing it then I doubt this is what was causing it, but ill try it and see if it helps since I really like this drum

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
happens to me when i had gbc(deluxe, 7mm, transparent) for 4 years and there's still sustain to me but it kills tone due to a how long it last(bright tone to mellow tone sounding) cuz my gbc is still a high pitched and still tightened. for example, when i'm outside, then my tilli sounded mellow to my ears, when i'm inside with reverb, then my tilli sounded bright to my ears (acoustic matters). btw i'm still using my amb, i only have one dhol, no big deal

Dholi harsh

It might be the wood... if it absorbed too much moisture or is too dry then it might be a problem... take the varnish off if there is any (or oil) and coat it (or re coat it) with mustard oil (6 coats should do the trick). It happend to one of my dhols a year back, sanded it down and coated it and it fixed itself

monisingh

Dholi harsh said:
It might be the wood... if it absorbed too much moisture or is too dry then it might be a problem... take the varnish off if there is any (or oil) and coat it (or re coat it) with mustard oil (6 coats should do the trick). It happend to one of my dhols a year back, sanded it down and coated it and it fixed itself

yep did it last month even though the drum was never varnished I just sanded the outside to open the pores of the wood I guess and I let it sit in hot and dry weather for about a week in the sun then put on a coat of mustard oil and let it sit in the hot dry heat for 2 days and then did the drum up again and it sounds like how it used to