• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

dhol thilli

monisingh

any one ever use smooth white remo on their dhol or a fyberskyn how much would you rate the sound, sustain, and lifetime of it out of 10

thinking of getting it

H G

Smooth white is more of an 'open' sound with a shit load of sustain whereas fibreskyn probably has 6/10 sustain and the sound is more 'closed'.

Lifetime out of them depends on how often you play and how tight you have the skin. I've had a Remo Ebony Ambassador (10mm) for almost 3 years on my first dhol but it's starting to give out on my 2nd dhol after a year of using it.

dholi_08

Ebony Ambassadors are good, but i HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THEM IN THE FREEZING COLD, as a result, the tension was soo high on my Remo, that it TORE! </3 But uhm, it lasted me a while, and it sounded SICKK! Now i'm trying a suede as my tilli, anyone try that before??

gobs86

It could be a remo starfire although in terms of sound quality not a good dhol skin due to the dark tone & short sustain.

You want something with a very bright tone & long sustain like the ebony ambassador / fiberskyn FD - that's why every non-desi head is normally one of these 2!

dholsupplies.com

dholi_08

hahah damnnn, it looks SICKKK though ! haha shit :( but uhmm yeahh GBC, AW & Sons, is a couple desi brands, they got SOLID heads bro !!

monisingh

yeah i got gbc on my dhol right now but i have another one coming from india (just the shell) so the ropes and the goat skin i have but i wanna put a remo smooth white or fyberskyn on that one and the dhol that i have my gbc on i had a clear diplomat on that but after i reoiled my dhol back in january i got new ropes, goat skin and the gbc head for it but i opened this thread to decide which one to get for the dhol coming from india

dholi_08

ohh niceeee ;) I'd go with the Smooth White bro, i'm not TOO sure about the Fiberskyn, but i'm trying out a Suede for myself !!

GSsandhu

since we already talking bout thilli sides, any use any leather for thilli head? i know couple of dholis who have leather on theres nd its sounds unreal! that to for live
i got my thinned out leather thilli head today, just wondering if theres anything i shud do to thilli head b4 putting it on?

dholi_08

GSsandhu said:
since we already talking bout thilli sides, any use any leather for thilli head? i know couple of dholis who have leather on theres nd its sounds unreal! that to for live
i got my thinned out leather thilli head today, just wondering if theres anything i shud do to thilli head b4 putting it on?
Holy Moly!! Leather head?? ...Never heard of that, sounds sickk though !!

GSsandhu

[SIZE=x-small]Quote from: GSsandhu on Yesterday at 12:57:34 AM[/SIZE][SIZE=x-small][/color]since we already talking bout thilli sides, any use any leather for thilli head? i know couple of dholis who have leather on theres nd its sounds unreal! that to for live

[/SIZE]

yea it really does sound sick, real crisp nd clear !!
i just put my leather thilli head, all i did was soak it nd then let it dry a bit then tightened it on like a regular thilli head nd let it dry more nd tightened bit more, but ya just make sure u get a thili head thats really thin

:)

monisingh

GSsandhu said:
Quote from: GSsandhu on Yesterday at 12:57:34 AM[SIZE=x-small]since we already talking bout thilli sides, any use any leather for thilli head? i know couple of dholis who have leather on theres nd its sounds unreal! that to for live

[/SIZE]

i just put my leather thilli head, all i did was soak it nd then let it dry a bit then tightened it on like a regular thilli head nd let it dry more nd tightened bit more, but ya just make sure u get a thili head thats really thin

damn bro post a vid i want to see how it sounds

dholi_08

monisingh said:
GSsandhu said:
Quote from: GSsandhu on Yesterday at 12:57:34 AM[SIZE=x-small]since we already talking bout thilli sides, any use any leather for thilli head? i know couple of dholis who have leather on theres nd its sounds unreal! that to for live

[/SIZE]

damn bro post a vid i want to see how it sounds
JESS JESS JESS...post a videoo! I wanna see what a Leather Head looks like :p !!!

JupMasterG

Ive used alot of different types of heads, as far as remo goes, the Remo Weather King Clear Ambassador head is pretty good, and I currently have a Remo Ebony Black Ambassador head on one of my dhols! both are really good heads but require alott of tightening and tuning. (all remos i feel are like that) I know a few people who have used the diplomats also and they say those work well too, and i believe those are thinner than the ambassadors also!...Ive asked alot of my friends who use the remo fiberskyns for their tilli and all of them like them alot, im thinking about getting one soon possibly! Alot of them have commented on them saying they sound amazing when your mic'ed up.

Honestly tho, my favorite hands down are desi heads, like someone said earlier GBC and AW & Sons! They are the best, greatest for fine tuning, and sound good! you can neverr go wrong with one of them. and come in almost any size you need!...Thats one thing i hate about remo, no half sizes!!

monisingh

JupMasterG said:
Ive used alot of different types of heads, as far as remo goes, the Remo Weather King Clear Ambassador head is pretty good, and I currently have a Remo Ebony Black Ambassador head on one of my dhols! both are really good heads but require alott of tightening and tuning. (all remos i feel are like that) I know a few people who have used the diplomats also and they say those work well too, and i believe those are thinner than the ambassadors also!...Ive asked alot of my friends who use the remo fiberskyns for their tilli and all of them like them alot, im thinking about getting one soon possibly! Alot of them have commented on them saying they sound amazing when your mic'ed up.

Honestly tho, my favorite hands down are desi heads, like someone said earlier GBC and AW & Sons! They are the best, greatest for fine tuning, and sound good! you can neverr go wrong with one of them. and come in almost any size you need!...Thats one thing i hate about remo, no half sizes!!

yeah thanks man and your crazy at dhol and yeah i had a clear diplomat on my dhol that i have right now but don`t know what the hell happened it sounded crazy as hell but the skin started cracking up so i changed it back to a white gbc and it sounds crazy but i noticed that the remo is slightly louder when playing in halls, auditoriums etc ( don`t know how that works) and yeah fyberskins sound great when mic`d up and mundi that rahul guys dhol sounds crazy lol i love how the ghir ghiras sound on the fyberskyns it`s like machine gun fire