Downloading attachments to android phone help!

Gurvir

I just got an HTC Inspire, running android 2.2, and i wanted to download mixes off here onto my phone. Well when i tap on the link to the mix in the thread where it's attached it starts downloading it, but it says the file format is not supported or something and it doesn't download as mp3 or wma. It downloads as .bin and idk what that is.

Help me please :)

Saleem

Staff member
I'll ask some developers about this tomorrow and we'll see who/what experiences this.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
if all you want to do is get the music onto your phone, download the mixes on a regular computer and then email them to yourself.
use the email app to download the attachments and i think it should work fine.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Gurvir said:
It downloads as .bin and idk what that is.

.bin is the most common extension of a simple binary file (1s and 0s)
that means your phone is downloading the raw data, and not the encoded mp3 file.

" A custom application can interpret the file differently, a byte may be a sound, or a pixel, or even an entire word. Binary itself is meaningless, until such time as an executed algorithm defines what should be done with each bit, byte, word or block."
Perhaps the problem lies with the manner in which the forum software stores attached files.

mithu

Download Dolphin browser form the market. And it should be able to download everything. Are you trying to save the file onto your SD card or on the Phone?

Also try: Long press (Push the link and hold your finger there) and a menu should come up. THen try to save the link (Should say "save Link" or something like that.

itsG

try not to save the link, save the actual target file if it helps download doubletwist from the market and after it downloads use that as an autoplay option. I'll try it at work tomorrow to see if i can recreate the problem I know my captivate used to download them just fine stock browser and doubleTwist

Gurvir

This was the case with the normal btf and the mobile version...and i tried the dolphin browser and that didn't work either haha. Also i could just email them to myself, but i want quick access to it anywhere i'm at

mithu

Really?

Thats weird. I dont have an issues downloading attachments on here on my D2.

What are you trying to download?

itsG

okay so just did a few tests on the inspire
I was able to get the same error where the "internet"(aka the browser) downloaded the attached files as binary and not.the format they actually should be in

I tried getting doubletwist to see if that world no luck
downloaded a file manager changed extensions and forced it to open as audio file didnt work
downloaded opera web browser and got onto btf from there and it worked like a charm
went back into doubletwist and played pcbcaelite 8 mix :)

so the problem lies in HTC sense browser so called internet just dlget opera and it'll b perfect plus its compressed so good if ur on limited data plan

itsG

okay so just did a few tests on the inspire
I was able to get the same error where the "internet"(aka the browser) downloaded the attached files as binary and not.the format they actually should be in

I tried getting doubletwist to see if that world no luck
downloaded a file manager changed extensions and forced it to open as audio file didnt work
downloaded opera web browser and got onto btf from there and it worked like a charm
went back into doubletwist and played pcbcaelite 8 mix :)

so the problem lies in HTC sense browser so called internet just dlget opera and it'll b perfect plus its compressed so good if ur on limited data plan

Gurvir

alright I used the opera browser and doubletwist and it worked perfectly! thanks a lot

itsG

np...btw just a sidenote doubletwist on ur computer syncs with itunes :) like playlists and all