Fire Missing From the Circuit

scaplash

Husky Bhangra (retired); KWG; GR
Howie Magz said:
We hear this complaint from a lot of new teams that "hey you are not looking at my video" and "why is it that old teams get all the comments." Make your sets better.....You see what it takes to win from all the teams that place at these competitions. If your set is boring no one will comment on it. If your set is exciting and people can see it form the video, then someone will make a comment. I'm sure a lot of new teams see what it really takes to win by watching youtube videos and should be incorporating those formulas when making their sets. Overall get better and you will get respect and comments.

I think thats a faulty argument-half the time views don't even pile up on videos and secondly-you're telling people that getting feedback-which can make them better-is dependent on them being already good/entertaining/interesting. The biggest problem I see with new teams is that their concept of entertaining/hype is either derivative or just plain not as cool as they think it is-I think that's why feedback is necessary-so that they can get an outside, objective view on concepts that they im sure busted their ass on

sumeetj

turbanatah said:
Whattup BTF,

I've been feeling this way for a while as well. As an avid bhangra fan/dancer for 15+ years, I remember feeling the most hyped about performances when the big dogs like Sher Foundation or Khalsa Junction took the stage. After that, the innovation brought forth by teams like DRP, Gabroo Shokeen, and VCU kept that momentum for some time.

Judging by how many people have contributed to this topic, you don't have to see any statistics or data to see that yes, we here at BTF feel like the fire has been lost. Teams just don't have that true "hype" or have that fire, not only as performers, but as DANCERS, to innovate the game and leave a long lasting impression.

I can't speak from a dancer's point of view, but as an audience member and more importantly as a DJ, I think a large part of what will bring about this change is the music.

How many of you guys remember when Sher Foundation came out with doing quick medleys instead of dancing to only 3-4 songs? And the infamous Sher Bass Drop?? Ohhhweee, that shit made the performance infinitely more memorable and really helped solidify Sher Foundation's legacy. How many teams are doing that today? Many teams have been using the same "hoy"s and sword "shwings" and "BOOOMS" since they first emerged.

We need to create new and more innovative types of mixes and cultivate a more progressive sound for the bhangra circuit. That's where I think I can help.

I've been putting out a lot of tracks this past year and have had the pleasure of being asked to do team mixes, however, I don't really have the time and prefer not to work with teams who I haven't connected with on a personal level. As someone who takes his music and art very seriously, I like to create alongside passionate choreographers, as well as to reinvent the music of traditional Bhangra/Punjabi songs by creating mixes that could enhance a performance and that works with the team to deliver their best performance. I truly think they both go hand in hand.

That being said, starting in 2016, I will be offering songs to the bhangra circuit (via BTF and Soundcloud) for a fee to use in their mix (homie's gotta eat y'know). I won't be doing full team mixes as I don't really have time to meet and talk to every team who wants a mix, but I can definitely offer my advice and my services to some extent. I really think that a true dancer is influenced by the music and that's what I want to offer you guys: a song that will be unique, designed with you in mind, and a certified BANGER.

Peace and best of luck to everyone who wants to take this art to the next level,
Baysikhz
mixes will be much better with Baysikz in them - definitely helped our mix sound good ;)

sumeetj said:
mixes will be much better with Baysikz in them - definitely helped our mix sound good ;)

Hehe :) yall were already killin it!

On another note, here's something new for you guys:
Exhibit A

I'll be at Legacy of Bhangra tomorrow if anyone wants to say wsup!

campy614

This might have been said already (truthfully I can't even pretend to give one single shit about reading all of the above posts), but I miss watching performances from teams who were going to do their thing and very clearly could not give 1 single shit about having to fit the mold of what a bhangra team is/should dance to. They (I guess I should put "We" here - I'm showing my age) did our own thing. If you liked it, great - if not, then don't watch. Simple!! We took risks without the promise of a reward. There were no apologizes, and absolutely none of us cared. We read BTF and took some form critiques, and disregarded the rest (I'm sorry to those who might have thought that I cared about your opinion - and judging by most videos it didn't seem like y'all cared about mine either - so we all good). We ALL were so convinced that our team's way was the better one - we believed in what we were doing. We wanted to entertain people and win our way. And in retrospect it actually brought some variety to each competition - because we were all so different and none of us thought alike. AEG's style was different from Virsa's who was different from APD who was different from NJ who was different from SPGD...
This brought some rivalries, and some drama - which back then I didn't care (nor can I even pretend to care now), but sure enough BTF was buzzing the day after. It wasn't fabricated. It wasn't filtered. It was raw emotion... and sure enough it brought hype!
I think I read somewhere that people were too worried about their friendships to actually try and up the ante a bit. To be fair, between all the madness and rivalries, we made friends. But my love and respect for the friends that I made didn't stop me from practicing like a crazy person and trying to whoop their asses - and the feeling was very mutual! No hard feelings, it was all expected!

Would be cool to see if this could happen again.
Then again I feel like I post this every year, and there's always someone who replies with a list of reasons (excuses)...

Saleem

Staff member
One thing that really helped get the conversation flowing and get over the barrier of those initial posts and apprehension about posting on BTF was the Off Topic section. It used to get about 1:1 traffic with the rest of the forum but as the camaraderie/community lessened, so did that section.

ARE YOU LISTENING, PEOPLE WITH ZERO POSTS? Just start chatting. Talking. NFL Playoffs? Steve Harvey did some stupid shit on Miss Universe? The 12 yr old Sikh boy who got arrested in TX? Something on your mind-- post. reply. repeat.

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
@Saleem - I'm a Niners fan, I can't define playoffs!

hardeep_singh

Saleem said:
One thing that really helped get the conversation flowing and get over the barrier of those initial posts and apprehension about posting on BTF was the Off Topic section. It used to get about 1:1 traffic with the rest of the forum but as the camaraderie/community lessened, so did that section.

ARE YOU LISTENING, PEOPLE WITH ZERO POSTS? Just start chatting. Talking. NFL Playoffs? Steve Harvey did some stupid shit on Miss Universe? The 12 yr old Sikh boy who got arrested in TX? Something on your mind-- post. reply. repeat.
is kylo ren a secret agent of the light side??? :eek:

Saleem

Staff member
hardeep_singh said:
Saleem said:

is kylo ren a secret agent of the light side??? :eek:
Star wars needs its own thread with a big [SPOILERS] tag

Manjot

Saleem said:

I think it died down because you took away Hero Member! LOL but yea, when the off topic forum posts stopped accumulating to your post count, it sort of went down in activity. I remember spamming to get 1k posts for the rank loll good times. Off topic brought lot of spam but it kept the forum active. Teams just need to start beefing and ranting on BTF more like the old days.

Mr Sandhu

Here are some ideas:

guys v guys comps
girls v girls comp
coed v coed comps
4 minute battle routines in a bracket style comp with a final battle
remove judging rubric and judges entirely
1/2 live 1/2 music sets
live band on stage set
breakdancing + bhangra set
East, West, North, South Bhangra Leagues
"No Parents Allowed" comps

The old beef existed because of personal rivalries, which have died down because of people wanting to be politically correct. You start beef on BTF and the mods jump in with paragraphs of psychology to shut it down. You start beef at a comp and people start policing around you because the guy you have beef with had plans to go smoke weed with your jodi later. You start beef and the politicking begins, there are no teams anymore - it's just one big bhangra circuit. It's a Bhangra Cult where dancers have no morals - fuck your best friend's girlfriend, smoke weed with team rivals, suck the judges dick to get higher points on your score sheets, talk shit about old team mates because you want to seem cool. The moral is to have no morals, beef requires conflicting morals. How are you going to have fire without friction?

There's definitely an overabundance of Bhangra videos and routines on the internet, and it's not that special anymore to create another routine or bring out another new song. There are also so many competitions and so many teams, that the styles are starting to meld together and the lines are being blurred. There are no identities anymore. It's like ya'll are sheep.