Going clean shaven for competition?

singhta27

Bhangre de Raja, Dil ah da shahanshah
Messages
37
Personally i feel that dancers should try to keep a dhari for comps simply cause thats how bhangra was. Open dhari, turla paggs ect, lets be real everyone is making bhangra more modern, but we're losing the aspect of being folk. The roots of bhangra are everything. I tie up my dhari, but you can tell from a far that i have one. Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo. Just my personal opinion. Anyone who can grow/keep a dhari should.
 

Romy

Active Member
Messages
234
singhta27 said:
Personally i feel that dancers should try to keep a dhari for comps simply cause thats how bhangra was. Open dhari, turla paggs ect, lets be real everyone is making bhangra more modern, but we're losing the aspect of being folk. The roots of bhangra are everything. I tie up my dhari, but you can tell from a far that i have one. Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo. Just my personal opinion. Anyone who can grow/keep a dhari should.
How bhangra was? Beards = folk? Here's a picture of my father-in-law and his bhangra buddies back in the '70s. Notice how a third of his crew don't have beards? You're welcome.

 

singhta27

Bhangre de Raja, Dil ah da shahanshah
Messages
37
Again thats why i wrote that its my opinion haha, i know that not having a dhari is what most people do, thats cool too, I'm not saying its wrong, but as far as folk goes, the original dancers (the farmers) majority of them had dhari's. Plus malwai giddah came before bhangra from what i know, and most dancers had dhari's then too. Bhangra has been dated back to the early 50's so if you can find me a picture from then, ill change my opinion. And i don't know what kind of math you're doing, but its a 8 man team of dancers and 4 of them have dhari's... Here look at this picture of my friends dad, a captain from Khalsa college amritsar in 1963. (scroll past your picture) Youre welcome.




Romy said:
singhta27 said:
Personally i feel that dancers should try to keep a dhari for comps simply cause thats how bhangra was. Open dhari, turla paggs ect, lets be real everyone is making bhangra more modern, but we're losing the aspect of being folk. The roots of bhangra are everything. I tie up my dhari, but you can tell from a far that i have one. Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo. Just my personal opinion. Anyone who can grow/keep a dhari should.
How bhangra was? Beards = folk? Here's a picture of my father-in-law and his bhangra buddies back in the '70s. Notice how a third of his crew don't have beards? You're welcome.

 

Attachments

nmistry2

New Member
Messages
84
if you can grow a beard you should definitely do it but focus on dancing first its definitely more important
 

Saab

Today is a gift
Messages
991
singhta27 said:
Again thats why i wrote that its my opinion haha, i know that not having a dhari is what most people do, thats cool too, I'm not saying its wrong, but as far as folk goes, the original dancers (the farmers) majority of them had dhari's. Plus malwai giddah came before bhangra from what i know, and most dancers had dhari's then too. Bhangra has been dated back to the early 50's so if you can find me a picture from then, ill change my opinion. And i don't know what kind of math you're doing, but its a 8 man team of dancers and 4 of them have dhari's... Here look at this picture of my friends dad, a captain from Khalsa college amritsar in 1963. (scroll past your picture) Youre welcome.




Romy said:
singhta27 said:
Personally i feel that dancers should try to keep a dhari for comps simply cause thats how bhangra was. Open dhari, turla paggs ect, lets be real everyone is making bhangra more modern, but we're losing the aspect of being folk. The roots of bhangra are everything. I tie up my dhari, but you can tell from a far that i have one. Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo. Just my personal opinion. Anyone who can grow/keep a dhari should.
How bhangra was? Beards = folk? Here's a picture of my father-in-law and his bhangra buddies back in the '70s. Notice how a third of his crew don't have beards? You're welcome.

Conceptually, I'm pretty positive what we associate as bhangra (stage bhangra with all the psuedo-traditional aspects) is a more recent development. If we are going to go back to the 50's and use that as our basis for a traditional dance, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have jhoomer, dhamaal, luddi etc as they are their own seperate dances. Gibbs and others can cover this...but whatev


As for dharis, I go clean shaven at comps now due to work. If I have to make the choice between clean shaven and employment vs bhangra dhari and no moolah it's a pretty simple decision(though I try to keep some fuzz). I think people should just be aware of that going forward and is probably why you don't see teams with universal full sharia anymore.
 

itsG

New Member
Messages
309
singhta27 said:
Again thats why i wrote that its my opinion haha, i know that not having a dhari is what most people do, thats cool too, I'm not saying its wrong, but as far as folk goes, the original dancers (the farmers) majority of them had dhari's. Plus malwai giddah came before bhangra from what i know, and most dancers had dhari's then too. Bhangra has been dated back to the early 50's so if you can find me a picture from then, ill change my opinion. And i don't know what kind of math you're doing, but its a 8 man team of dancers and 4 of them have dhari's... Here look at this picture of my friends dad, a captain from Khalsa college amritsar in 1963. (scroll past your picture) Youre welcome.




Romy said:
singhta27 said:
Personally i feel that dancers should try to keep a dhari for comps simply cause thats how bhangra was. Open dhari, turla paggs ect, lets be real everyone is making bhangra more modern, but we're losing the aspect of being folk. The roots of bhangra are everything. I tie up my dhari, but you can tell from a far that i have one. Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo. Just my personal opinion. Anyone who can grow/keep a dhari should.
How bhangra was? Beards = folk? Here's a picture of my father-in-law and his bhangra buddies back in the '70s. Notice how a third of his crew don't have beards? You're welcome.

uhhhh......her math was more in favor of your point. You just said 50% of the team doesn't have beards.
She said 2/3rds did so you know like 66%


but back to the point. I mean personally to me the beard at a comp stands from the social (probably more modern way of thinking) that paggs only look good with a beard. Back in the day even people that had their hair cut and clean shaved still wore a pagg whereas in today's time if you cut your hair and clean shave people look down upon you for wearing a pagg (not during bhangra but in general). It's somehow only acceptable to wear one if you have a beard, even the slightest of beards. (Look at most grooms the morning of their wedding vs the reception). It's just something that has evolved with time to become the norm in society - paggs are only acceptable with beards. BUT i don't see it as a big no no to do at a comp. If you had to clean shave you had to clean shave (work/school/whatever your reason may be). Simple as that.
 

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
Messages
714
Saaleyo, Dharri katti hove te uppron Pagg banhi hovey, oh bandha sire da chooopa lagda! . . . aah jehrre line jehi bnaah ke Pagg banh de aa, eh tan Mahan Chooope lagde aa!

Pagg banh-nni aa tan Dharri rakh ke banho, nahi tan naah banho! jinha deh nahi aaundi dharri, unha di majboori samaj sakde aa! lol
 

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
Messages
714
Choopa baraadri wale gall dil te lai gaye lagda. lol
 

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
singhta27 said:
Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo.
So basically you're saying that men without beards look like women, or pedophiles. I'm not the most politically correct person on this forum, but there's so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin. Were the borderline sexism and/or reference to child molestation even necessary in your attempt to prove a point?

As far as the actual discussion - I don't personally believe it matters. With 8-16 people dancing on stage at one time, the last thing most people are focusing on is whether or not a few dancers have dharis. There are many reasons why some dancers choose to go clean shaven (maybe they have a job; maybe THEY think they look better without once - since, you know, it's really up to them on what looks good/doesn't) - that's their personal business. Focus on the dance and execution, and putting on a show. THIS is what's important.
 

Jusi.Sahota

Member
Messages
151
campy614 said:
singhta27 said:
Plus you look like a man not a woman or a pedo.
So basically you're saying that men without beards look like women, or pedophiles. I'm not the most politically correct person on this forum, but there's so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin. Were the borderline sexism and/or reference to child molestation even necessary in your attempt to prove a point?

As far as the actual discussion - I don't personally believe it matters. With 8-16 people dancing on stage at one time, the last thing most people are focusing on is whether or not a few dancers have dharis. There are many reasons why some dancers choose to go clean shaven (maybe they have a job; maybe THEY think they look better without once - since, you know, it's really up to them on what looks good/doesn't) - that's their personal business. Focus on the dance and execution, and putting on a show. THIS is what's important.

I agree. Bhangra is all about the dancing and promoting punjabi culture. Isn't that what's most important? Smiling and putting on a good performance? As a dancer, I sure believe thats what I go onto do. Dont worry if "Not having a beard makes me a woman" because it DOESNT. Having a beard is the last thing you should worry about. If you can grow one..great. Grow one. If you can't, it's not a big deal. Put on a great performance, smile and have a great time.
 
Top