Good Books By Indian Authors

Ashqe

Okay so for an English book report project, I have to read a book by an author not British or American, to y'know expose everyone to authors that we don't usually read and stuff like that. So I figured why not read something from an Indian author? The teacher gave us a few suggestions which I'm gonna list in a little bit but dyou guys have any other suggestions of good books I can read?

Right now I'm leaning on either reading The Guide by R.K Narayan (which was apparently later made into a really really good old Bollywood movie) or 5 Point Someone by Chetan Bhaghat (which is the book that The Three Idiots is based off of).. Besides other suggestions, can anyone who has read one of these books tell me what they thought of it?

So yeah I really appreciate any help people give me.. I'm not asking you to do a book report for me but actually reading an enjoyable book would be good place to start.

COMTONDAJATT

mint gumri
read a a rushdie book like satanic verses or midnight's children. great great books.

i have read r k narayan's short stories and his mahabharata and ramayana and i loveeeeeee his writing. i would probably go with the guide.

vaibhav

COMTONDAJATT said:
read a a rushdie book like satanic verses or midnight's children. great great books.

i have read r k narayan's short stories and his mahabharata and ramayana and i loveeeeeee his writing. i would probably go with the guide.
r.k. narayan's mahabharat was really good! did a book report on it last year

i suggest reading The Namesake by Jumpa Lahiri really good book!

Jabar Jung

kuldeep nayar
Khushwant Singh

Don't buy chetan bhagat's new book, if you are, don't it's so cliché

Amanpaul

Varun said:
Opinder said:
rohinton mistry

Most def. "A Fine Balance" was one of the best books I've ever read.
lol thats the book I wanted to mention when I first saw thread...not surprised someone brought it up before I did, its a great book...its a long read tho, but well worth it. best book I've ever read, but I dont read much anyways lol

Ashqe

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. My English teacher is Indian so she actually did talk about Satanic Verses and The Namesake as popular books by foreign authors which is a pretty cool coincidence. All of the suggestions look interesting from what I've seen from a simple wikipedia summary haha, especially the ones that relate to Indian history.. Makes me realize how out of touch I am with Indian history, so I kinda want to read some of these books eventually even if I don't do so for my project. So yeah thanks everyone.

Laddi

Argnabh said:
Lajja - Taslima Nasrin (although, technically she is a Bangladeshi)
is that bollywood movie "Lajja" based off of this book?! The story of 4 women from different backgrounds and the pressures of society?!

dheerja

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie is heavy but a must-read. Shalimar the Clown by Rushdie is lighter but still great.

Argnabh

Laddi said:
Argnabh said:
Lajja - Taslima Nasrin (although, technically she is a Bangladeshi)
is that bollywood movie "Lajja" based off of this book?! The story of 4 women from different backgrounds and the pressures of society?!
I don't think so...I haven't seen that movie tho...the book is abt a hindu bengali family living in Dhaka, BD in the midst of the Babri Masjid demolition happening in India..a good read

VaRun59

go with the namsesake brotherjii
amazing book (movie sucks compared too it)
even though its about a bengali family...trust me we can all relate to it even as punjabis

misspooja

Midnight Children -Salman Rushdie
The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
Shantaram was one of the best books I have ever read, it wasnt by an indian author but it was about India, its pretty long but it will keep you captivated
:)

DjDhol-E

misspooja said:
Midnight Children -Salman Rushdie
The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
Shantaram was one of the best books I have ever read, it wasnt by an indian author but it was about India, its pretty long but it will keep you captivated
:)
miss pooja im a BIG FAN !!!
when did you decide to join BTF?