[GTV + Mix]The Michigan Bhangra Team: Winter 2016 (Blowout, Nashville, Buckeye)

sahab

Hey BTF, here are the MBT performances from this past comp season. The captains of MBT would like to give a shoutout to all our team members for helping us throughout this year. There are a few individuals we want to thank for their help as well.

Mani from OSU: You always come through in clutch for paghs (even if I'm buggin out). Thank you for all the help.
Dilbagh: Thank you for the help with paghs at blowout.
Sargam and Gsimz: Came through on the mix. You guys were there for MBT whenever we called, and your help was awesome.
Shawn: Keep spinning those daangs.
Ram: You are an awesome dholi, and it was great chilling with you at all these comps.

All the judges from these past comps (Ankush, Ashita, Cherag, Sid, Kuntal, Mariam, Kinnell, Reeda), your critiques went a long way in our set creation and practices. Without your passion and help, I don't know where this circuit would be. I remember at Buckeye Mela talking to Sid about how to run a proper Bhangra practice, and it made a huge difference for our team.

For everyone new to Bhangra or the Bhangra community, don't ever be afraid to ask questions/help/tips. People in the community want to help you out, just don't be afraid to ask.

All comp organizers: Keep doing what you're doing. We need people like you that are willing to dedicate so much time to Bhangra because you are a rarity. ;D

Bhangra Blowout 23 (3rd place): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnSae7LpE9k
Red: Howie Magaro, Shebani Rao
Blue: Bhavneet Singh Grewal, Shivani Bramhbhatt
Orange: Pratik Lakhani, Piumi Jayatilake
Ferozi:Sahab Grover, Megha Ramappan
Pink: Eshann Toteja, Akshaya Rajkumar
Purple: Yash Sathe, Aditi Katti

MIX: https://soundcloud.com/djsargam/michigan-bhangra-team-bhangrablowoutboyz-jordanyear-2k16

Nachde Nashville 2016 (2nd Place): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHbEnVV9fno

Red: Pratik Lakhani, Piumi Jayatilake
Blue: Eshann Toteja, Akshaya Rajkumar
Green: Rahul Bapna, Navu Munday
Pink: Howie Magaro, Harjot Kaur
Purple: Yash Sathe, Ashni Patel

Buckeye Mela 2016 (3rd place): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNwPZEvmifY

Red: Pratik Lakhani, Piumi Jayatilake
Blue:Howie Magaro, Shebani Rao
Pink: Adi Gill, Navu Munday
Green: Eshann Toteja, Akshaya Rajkumar
Purple: Yash Sathe, Alisha Luthra

Critiques are appreciated! Good luck to all the teams on their prep for the upcoming season!

#MakeBhangraGreatAgain

Prabhzy

Bballer said:
You guys need to learn how to tie chadre. All those chadre in the blowout video were so high

id second that too.

Were distracting me too much. You guys have done enough comps now to tie them properly at the correct height. ( Just some friendly advice :) )

sahab

For blowout, we had a friend tie our chadre. We made it an emphasis for future comps to never have that problem again. I agree that it was really distracting. If I could go back, I would re-tie all those chadre.

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Blow Out mix was FIRE. Set was nasty too. Masked man at the end KILLED it with the khunde twirls man. Holy sh*t.

scaplash

Husky Bhangra (retired); KWG; GR
Hey guys- just saw the blowout set
Definitely agree on the chaadars-but looks like you guys know whats up and will have that fixed for next time.

Pros:
-Energy looked solid (at least in about half, i think i saw some people dogging it in the back)
-Form was pretty consistent across dancers
-Liked the build-up, drop for the nachdi segment (3:14)
-Blue jodi did a great job throughout this set
-Like the "no-music concept"-though I think it was a bit too long, and the moves felt forced to the beat at times
Cons:
-Though Khunde jugni didn't really hit, felt rushed and thrown in for the sake of having it
-I think there should have been some change of pace among saaps and khunde, both were fast and energetic, but without the contrast of a slower segment somewhere in there, I think it loses the effect on the audience
-Spins were consistently not in sync-or a couple of jodis would be off- this was also true on the khunde spin
-Both khunde and saaps had a two staggered line bust out, which can be tiring. Overall I felt there werent memorable formations for either saaps or khunde
-Jhoomer-bollywood-might have been hot live, but in video it looks a bit cliche
-Like the jugni concept-but you guys looked dogged at around here

Overall: I think you guys did a good job with dancer development, form and synchronicity of style, all of which are incredibly tough on a collegiate team. However, this set felt like it was a little too fast for your team at times, synchronization was lost at times. The flow of the set I felt was off for the set, it felt like a cut-and-paste job of a bunch of different beats and segments-which can be partly how it was mixed or how it was organized, its a delicate balance. Formations could have been more memorable-tangible shapes or unique movement across stage need to be seen when looking at formations from the audience formation.

Anyways, those are my general thoughts on the set-Nice job Howie and MBT, y'all had a great year and congrats on the placings

sahab

scaplash said:
Pros:
-Energy looked solid (at least in about half, i think i saw some people dogging it in the back)
-Form was pretty consistent across dancers
-Liked the build-up, drop for the nachdi segment (3:14)
-Blue jodi did a great job throughout this set
-Like the "no-music concept"-though I think it was a bit too long, and the moves felt forced to the beat at times
Cons:
-Though Khunde jugni didn't really hit, felt rushed and thrown in for the sake of having it
-I think there should have been some change of pace among saaps and khunde, both were fast and energetic, but without the contrast of a slower segment somewhere in there, I think it loses the effect on the audience
-Spins were consistently not in sync-or a couple of jodis would be off- this was also true on the khunde spin
-Both khunde and saaps had a two staggered line bust out, which can be tiring. Overall I felt there werent memorable formations for either saaps or khunde
-Jhoomer-bollywood-might have been hot live, but in video it looks a bit cliche
-Like the jugni concept-but you guys looked dogged at around here

Overall: I think you guys did a good job with dancer development, form and synchronicity of style, all of which are incredibly tough on a collegiate team. However, this set felt like it was a little too fast for your team at times, synchronization was lost at times. The flow of the set I felt was off for the set, it felt like a cut-and-paste job of a bunch of different beats and segments-which can be partly how it was mixed or how it was organized, its a delicate balance. Formations could have been more memorable-tangible shapes or unique movement across stage need to be seen when looking at formations from the audience formation.
Thanks for the critiques, they go a long way in team development, and it helps the future captains in making their sets. I agree 100% with what you said. Many of the critiques you said were the same as the judges. Maybe you should start judging comps.