HELP BUYING SAAPS, PHILADELPHIA/WASHINGTON DC

kman58

Hi Guys,

My team's current set of saaps has gotten pretty worn down and we need a new set of 12-14 saaps.

I'm from DC but the team is based in Philly and we have a lot of members who also live in NJ near Edison/NYC. Anybody know any stores in any of the above areas that sell good Saaps for a good price??? Please reply soon thank you!!!

kman58

Thanks for the info on DCMPAA, didn't know they actually sold stuff, but I was hoping I could find something at least $15-20 cheaper in the Edison/NYC area

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Hmmmm, you probably can't get quality saaps for less than $20 if you factor in shipping expense.

You can try to PM Harkiran to see if she can quote you on getting a new set of saaps straight from India. If you don't mind a slightly used set, maybe mention that as well & you might be to able to find something within your team's budget.

Hope this helps.

Good luck sir,

~ Basim :)

kman58

Hi Basim,

Thanks for the response, I think I may not have been clear. I meant I'm sure I could find good quality saaps for ~$15-20 each not including shipping; our team members would plan to go pick them up ourselves from the area or the store (assuming it's in the Jersey/ NY/ Philly area) to save on shipping/packaging costs. If you or anybody else on the forum has any info on shops or people that sell bhangra instruments/saaps in that please let me know! Appreciate all the help once again!

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Hi Kman58,

Given that you want to pick up the saaps locally within the tri-state area of Philly, NJ, NY and want to stay on the relatively low side in terms of pricing .. you're limiting your options quite a bit, unless there are teams outs there willing to sell you a set of used saaps for of a discount. But you mentioned in your original post that you want new saaps.

Anyway, for some decent quality saaps, you could try to contacting dholetc (based in New Jersey): http://www.dholetc.com/sups.php

I am not sure of as of recent, but in the past, turnaround time that dholetc gets them to you was fairly quick and the quality was decent. Cost used to be around $25 (including shipping), but that was several years back and I can see they went up a bit. If you contact them, you may be able to get a discount - especially if you want to purchase in bulk & are willing to pick them up locally. Again, not sure as of lately, but in the past customer service was excellent and they even provided tracking numbers (via Fedex). This might be your best bet to say within your budget & try to pick them up in locally (if they allow it & it will save on the cost).

Hope this helps,

~ Basim :)

mithu

kman58 said:
Hi Basim,

Thanks for the response, I think I may not have been clear. I meant I'm sure I could find good quality saaps for ~$15-20 each not including shipping; our team members would plan to go pick them up ourselves from the area or the store (assuming it's in the Jersey/ NY/ Philly area) to save on shipping/packaging costs. If you or anybody else on the forum has any info on shops or people that sell bhangra instruments/saaps in that please let me know! Appreciate all the help once again!

You're best option will be DCMPAA or a team that is selling their old saaps.
In the US/Canada good quality saaps will cost between 25-30$.

If you know someone who is going to India (family member or something), just ask them to bring some. Or ship them. That will most likely be your cheapest option for brand new saaps.

kman58

Thank you guys Basim and Mithu for the information I really appreciate it. I figure if the saaps at Dholetc are high quality then it's worth paying a little more to get quality. I'll definitely look into DCMPAA as well. I also frequent Canada quite a bit and I know of punjab sports in Toronto so I might try talking to them as well.
I myself am going to India this summer however only to New Delhi. I won't be visiting Punjab so my options there are to find a store in New Delhi (probably not an easy task unless someone on this forum knows of a Bhangra instrument store in New Delhi) or get them shipped to my location from Punjab.

Either way unless anyone reading this post might know of stores in New Delhi, I think my team'll get by. Any additional help is always appreciated but thanks guys!!!

SGupta7

kman58 said:
Either way unless anyone reading this post might know of stores in New Delhi, I think my team'll get by. Any additional help is always appreciated but thanks guys!!!

I actually bought two saaps from a store in Dehli for a performance this past summer. I have no idea what the name of the instrument shop was and the quality of the saaps was not as good as the ones DCMPAA sells. But, point is, you can buy saaps in/around Dehli for cheap, but I'd be concerned for the quality. The only reason I bought them was because I was in a jam and knew I'd only need to use them one time.

Good luck with your search!

jfried

Wanted to put a plug in for DCMPAA's saaps. Bought one to replace a broken one and it's pretty awesome. Haven't really used it in anger yet, but it's loud, it's just the right amount of broken in and it just feels really comfortable in your hands.

kman58

SGupta7 said:
I actually bought two saaps from a store in Dehli for a performance this past summer. I have no idea what the name of the instrument shop was and the quality of the saaps was not as good as the ones DCMPAA sells. But, point is, you can buy saaps in/around Dehli for cheap, but I'd be concerned for the quality. The only reason I bought them was because I was in a jam and knew I'd only need to use them one time.

Good luck with your search!
Hey thanks for the information on the DCMPAA saaps jfried and SGupta. I'm going back to DC soon I'll definitely hit them up!

Just wondering as per your post, if you don't remember the exact name of the store do you remember what area in New Delhi like CP/Karol Bagh/Chandni Chowk/Ghaziabad etc?