• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Hey everyone, let's ALL start doing this!

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
* Make a huge banner and hide behind it while your sher/intro plays
* Paint letters on your shykke and spell something out
* Pass khundey to each other
* Connect khundey
* Use LED lights and/or glow sticks
* Put 12 dancers on stage just to fill up space and not utilize them for innovative formations and movement
* Teach your team a complicated set before you teach them to bounce their modhey
* Add Black & Yellow, 6 foot 7 foot, and other overused beats into your mix

Jk, please stop.

Do not put your own twist on it.

Do not do it your own way.

All versions of painted shykke, passing khundey, connecting khundey, and lights look the same now.

Just stop.

ajsahota12

Arjun Sahota, Loyal to ABC like ish my bish
Subliminal shots without being direct..

can't agree more on the bouncy modhey though!

Kush

faysal said:
now aren't you glad we never got to use 6 foot 7 kush? lolll
lol when we made it it wasnt owned yet :)

Agreed with everyone else too. Complex Set <<<< Great Dancing.

Also, more important than overused beats... does anyone feel like 90% of team mixes are hiphop mixes now? with a couple bhangra lyrics thrown over? EVERY single segment is pushed primarily by a hiphop beat that is so blantant it feels like the bhangras mixed into the hip hop, not the other way around (if theres bhangra in it at all).

zagreus

Mariam said:
If you're from Pittsburgh, use Black and Yellow, it's basically your city's song. They should be allowed to rep such things! <3

p2bpanjabi

Dayymmn one of the best posts I've seen on BTF.. good one -- looks like we're about to some revolution, something new and innovative from all competitive teams?

hmm so when's the next big bhangra competition? :p

singhgugu

Gugu
*forgot to add using hindi songs!

i like the variety it gives, but i see it being overused now, along with everything else on that list

faizan

Just shut up and dance
* Make a huge banner and hide behind it while your sher/intro plays
* Paint letters on your shykke and spell something out
* Pass khundey to each other
* Connect khundey
* Use LED lights and/or glow sticks
* Put 12 dancers on stage just to fill up space and not utilize them for innovative formations and movement
* Teach your team a complicated set before you teach them to bounce their modhey

AEG put lights in their mouth at bruin...should we have not done that mariam? lights are awesome, there are still 349348230948 ways to make them look better than other teams...i think the teams that used lights simply, like TAG, NJ, and others, those are the types of uses that should not be repeated, not the ones who actually go the next step with lights...

recently, i saw a team light up their katos, that was nasty...

if you can take a played out gimmick, and make it so nasty that its cliche nature is superseded by the creativity, then i am all for it...

but i agree, that ALL of the gimmicks you listed ARE played out, but if a team can put their own twist on it, where I say "damn, everyone does lights, but that was straight nasty," then I am all for it...

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
1. I haven't seen AEG at bruin. It's quite possible that whatever you did was awesome, but it is also possible taht you coudl have thought of something completely new which would have been even more awesome

2. Majority of teams will fail to create something significantly better than what has already been done. I'd rather encourage completely fresh thinking than to keep recreating the same tricks. And while I do agree with what you said in a past post, about "it's not who does it first but who does it best", once it's been done 75 times then it's really just tired.

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Love said:
Do anything that you/the audience would enjoy :)
These days, youtube is your audience too, and as part of that audience I am not enjoying seeing the same shit over and oevr again

sulmoney said:
dance for the audience and yourself. dont dance for btf.
Yeah, def. And if you do that then you should have enough self-respect and pride and motivation to come up with fresh ideas

HarmanSingh

Add:

Any car/truck gimmick (unless you are KJ)
Sword slices everywhere in the mix
Gunshots everywhere in the mix
Holding up a sign with your team name
Mela scene with the same stuff every other team is doing
And finally..the thing most plaguing the bhangra circuit- dancing too fast. If you can't complete a move, slow down. There is beauty in grace, not going buck.