Hey everyone, let's ALL start doing this!

Kush

faizan said:
kush, we're not even close to "too much." you got vardis? you got folk elements? you got props? then you're good...once you TAKE OUT essential elements of bhangra in a large scale (ex: no pughs, or, no daangs, or no jhummar), that's when i'll care...adding non-bhangra elements to a folk set is my idea of poetry in motion...being able to take a folk dance, stay true to it, and add as much craziness as you want, is my idea of creativity and of representing WHO WE ARE as desis in america...
Thats my point. Mixes are starting to take away a FOLK/Essential part of it! We're dancing to full verses by Drake and Lil Wayne and Jay Z! We're dancing MULTIPLE full segments to beats like 6ft 7 and Beamer Benz or Bentley (not even mixed! just hte beat) like... theres a difference between dancing to HIPHOP and a BHANGRA-HIPHOP MIX! And even then theres a difference in what is MIXING versus just throwing some random crap over a hip hop beat. That, in my eyes, is too much in one direction for ONE ASPECT!

By no means do i think the whole dance is going in that way, but this one avenue is.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
sargam627 said:
Bhangra itself is pretty repetitive, let's just stop that too.
This thread is retarded.

that's incredibly true. honestly, to the casual, untrained observer, bhangra is entirely a repetition of about 10-15 different types of dance steps. given the amount of bhangra performances that have happened before today, it is impossible to not do choreo that hasn't already been done in some form or another.

campy614

Kush said:
faizan said:
kush, we're not even close to "too much." you got vardis? you got folk elements? you got props? then you're good...once you TAKE OUT essential elements of bhangra in a large scale (ex: no pughs, or, no daangs, or no jhummar), that's when i'll care...adding non-bhangra elements to a folk set is my idea of poetry in motion...being able to take a folk dance, stay true to it, and add as much craziness as you want, is my idea of creativity and of representing WHO WE ARE as desis in america...
Thats my point. Mixes are starting to take away a FOLK/Essential part of it! We're dancing to full verses by Drake and Lil Wayne and Jay Z! We're dancing MULTIPLE full segments to beats like 6ft 7 and Beamer Benz or Bentley (not even mixed! just hte beat) like... theres a difference between dancing to HIPHOP and a BHANGRA-HIPHOP MIX! And even then theres a difference in what is MIXING versus just throwing some random crap over a hip hop beat. That, in my eyes, i too much in one direction for ONE ASPECT!

By no means do i think the whole dance is going in that way, but this one avenue is.
But this is still your opinion. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what's "too far." If a team decided to do dhamaal to Beethoven's 5th, a lot of people would say that's crossing the line. On the other hand I'd happily turn around say that's genius (I'm ALL ABOUT crossing the line-and please don't pull that 'you're not Punjabi, you wouldn't understand' bull on me).

A team isn't going to please everyone. Name me one performance to date that every single person in the circuit and in an audience can watch and say "wow that was effing amazing!" Good luck.

NJ @ the first Elite 8 still had people disliking it. SGPD @ this Elite 8-while a lot of people thought it was INCREDIBLE, there were still people saying "Eh, could have been more graceful." It's not that people are hating-it's just they have different tastes, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I was sitting there on the side of the stage JAW DROPPED watching Rooh Punjab Dee @ Bhangra Masti '09 crappying my undies because they were AMAZING, and the judges didn't feel the same. Different people leads to different opinions.

Pleasing a crowd is important, but pleasing yourself (no pun intended) is more important. At the end of the day if you're not happy with what you put on stage because of what people on BTF say, then all the prize money and the huge trophies aren't worth it.

My mother was a dancer in high school, and also a cheerleader. She used to say that before you please an audience, you need to please yourself and be proud of the show you put out there. People are going to like/dislike regardless, but if you're proud of your performance, then other people's opinions don't matter.

Gugu

This is why you do live bhangra. No matter how much one re-uses, nobody will talk shit lol

faizan

Just shut up and dance
I understand kush...the music may be going to far...but damn, i love it when teams dance to hip hop or hindi songs, i can't help it...haha

hardeep_singh

faizan said:
I understand kush...the music may be going to far...but damn, i love it when teams dance to hip hop or hindi songs, i can't help it...haha
and i love it when teams dance to chamkila, bindrakhia, kuldeep manak, gurdas mann, i can't think of anyone whos used yamla jatt in a mix but i think that would be amazing. why not promote folk punjabi music as much as people promote hip hop because there are alot of punjabi people who go crazy for that. i think everyones just trying too hard to be modernized or just dying to incorporate the latest beats before someone else does. i dont think completely punjabi mixes necessarily have to be boring/non entertaining because there is a lot of diversity in punjabi music itself, if you want to be artistic, explore the range of punjabi music thats out there, when was the last time you heard a mix that had some nasty vaaja or tabla music in it?

KingGeorge

goddammnnn sounds like ya'll are trying to win an election

someone needs to start a jokes thread again

Dj ASG

sorry guys this thread is not from TAG lol, this is Mariams personal tread of what she feels so no need to call out TAG

Nikhil

Gugu, I just had an adult male chuckle in my library. Good job!
Gugu said:
This is why you do live bhangra. No matter how much one re-uses, nobody will talk shit lol
Deepi, that chuckle turned into a snicker. And now I'm going to the vending machine

Deepi253 said:
lets all dance naked with only paggs on that should spice it up a bit

Love

Everyone has their own opinions, and they are each entitled to have those.
But at the end of the day, bhangra is a dance, a type of art form, a way of expressing yourself. If everyone's allowed to have their opinions, then they should be entitled to do whatever they want on stage, whether it be for the love of bhangra, themselves, the audience, or just for winning. If something in someone's set resembles another team's set, then the judges will probably penalize the performing team anyway

hardeep_singh

voxanimus said:
hardeep_singh said:
Deepi253 said:
lets all dance naked with only paggs on that should spice it up a bit
NBC - nanga bhangra crew
can someone start NKPD?
nangi kudiye punjab di? i think that would be received really well.
hit up the lakk 28 kuri, i bet she'd be down for bein the captain of NKPD, i fully approve of this endeavor.