How not to get tired.

blanca_c

New Member
Messages
69
Singhlarry23 said:
blanca_c said:
I try to stop soda and alcohol at least a week or 2 before. I sip water and a little gatorade throughout the day of. And then, before going on stage, I put on plenty of chapstick and chew some gum...


This works pretty well for me :)
Gatoradeeeee. :D

Gum? I dont wanna choke. :D
LOL! Oh I spit it out before I go on! Sorry hahaha should have been more clear on that. :)


Yeah, I don't think it's good nakhra to be chewing like a cow on stage ;)
 

Singhlarry23

New Member
Messages
283
blanca_c said:
Singhlarry23 said:
blanca_c said:
I try to stop soda and alcohol at least a week or 2 before. I sip water and a little gatorade throughout the day of. And then, before going on stage, I put on plenty of chapstick and chew some gum...


This works pretty well for me :)
Gatoradeeeee. :D

Gum? I dont wanna choke. :D
LOL! Oh I spit it out before I go on! Sorry hahaha should have been more clear on that. :)


Yeah, I don't think it's good nakhra to be chewing like a cow on stage ;)

Lmao. Ight Ight.
 

SunnyParmar

New Member
Messages
97
Personally when I was in my bhangra peak, this is the best way that I have learned to keep stamina:

Weeks before a competition. (Diet)

1. Everyday, whether or not you have a bhangra competition, take a 15-20 minute jog. It does not have to be intense and grueling, you want to build on this, and make sure you try to avoid running on concrete as in the long run it is hard on your knee's and the pounding on your feet can lead to PF (Plantar Fasciitis).

2. Make sure you're cutting down your fats (not all of them because it's not possible and unsaturated fats are actually really good for you), and increasing your complex carbohydrates. This will help you have more energy at practices and allow you body to get used to you needing more energy.

3. Eat 6 smaller meals a day. Stay away from eating HUGE meals that will spike your blood glucose, in the long run it can lead to diabetes and in the early stages your body will just be tired from digesting not allowed you to be fully capable of dancing within even 2-3 hours of practicing.

Stretching:

Stretching - Now there have been LOTS of problems with stretching in Bhangra. Everyone believes that you're supposed to run a bit, get warmed up, and stretch hard. ITS FALSE! You can damage your body in the long run by forcing muscles to stretch. Here are 3 steps you need to follow in order to be stretched properly and reduce injury.

a. Micro-stretching: Everyday when you get up, stretch. Only stretch about 40% of your max, and yes you are doing this while you are cold. You do not need to warm up. Stretch for about 15-30 seconds. Do this everyday, twice a day when you're cold, and you'll notice the difference in 2-3 months on how effective it is.

b. Kinetic Stretching - DO NOT do static stretches at the beginning of practice. Again they cause damage to muscles and can cause injuries without you knowing. Start off by running 2-3 laps at a moderate pace, just to get your heart rate up, then Get in a line and start doing knee ups while running, or heel ups, short lunges (while continuously moving), side steps, heel walks, and toe walks. This is all you need to do at the beginning of practice to warm up.

c. At the end of practice run another lap at a slow pace, then walk one lap to slow your heart down slightly more. Then what I usually do with my team was get them in a circle and everyone leads one stretch starting from neck to ankle.

Following these guidelines will help you increase your stamina and your bhangra maneuverability. Some of the other key points were already highlighted by the other posts.

GOOD LUCK!
 

SunnyParmar

New Member
Messages
97
Singhlarry23 said:
^^ Thanks so MUCH. Let's see if it will work..


Any more suggestions? :)

One last tip. For those of you trying to work out or "bulk up" during bhangra season you need to know two key things. Firstly taking protein shakes before, during, or immediately after working out can actually hinder your muscle repair process. Protein and fats are the hardest to digest for your body so they slow down your intake after a workout. The best thing to do is eat a solid carb meal 15 minutes after you workout. Secondly take your protein 2 hours after you workout for the best results.

If anyone has any questions about bhangra feel free to PM me! I'm sure I can find something to help you guys out. GOOD LUCK!
 

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
Messages
1,151
Do one of you bhangra health nuts know how many calories can be burned by doing an hour of bhangra?
 

SunnyParmar

New Member
Messages
97
ENVY BANG-RUH said:
Do one of you bhangra health nuts know how many calories can be burned by doing an hour of bhangra?
Hard to calculate. Depends on duration and intensity and routine. I would say anywhere from 200-500 calories in a good practice. Could be more or less depending on the three factors I listed. As long as a routine uses all the aspects of bhangra (ie. dhammal, jhummer etc.) you're varying your workout, thus giving your body higher resistance same thing you would do if you were using a bike, then elliptical, then treadmill.
 

gifty

New Member
Messages
55
SunnyParmar said:
Singhlarry23 said:
^^ Thanks so MUCH. Let's see if it will work..


Any more suggestions? :)

One last tip. For those of you trying to work out or "bulk up" during bhangra season you need to know two key things. Firstly taking protein shakes before, during, or immediately after working out can actually hinder your muscle repair process. Protein and fats are the hardest to digest for your body so they slow down your intake after a workout. The best thing to do is eat a solid carb meal 15 minutes after you workout. Secondly take your protein 2 hours after you workout for the best results.

If anyone has any questions about bhangra feel free to PM me! I'm sure I can find something to help you guys out. GOOD LUCK!
Protein 2 hours after you workout? Now that's bro-science :p ........
 

Gurvir

Member
Messages
704
SunnyParmar said:
b. Kinetic Stretching - DO NOT do static stretches at the beginning of practice. Again they cause damage to muscles and can cause injuries without you knowing. Start off by running 2-3 laps at a moderate pace, just to get your heart rate up, then Get in a line and start doing knee ups while running, or heel ups, short lunges (while continuously moving), side steps, heel walks, and toe walks. This is all you need to do at the beginning of practice to warm up.
Kinetic stretching is the way to go, for sure...soooo much better than static stretching
 

COMTONDAJATT

mint gumri
Messages
302
gifty said:
SunnyParmar said:
Singhlarry23 said:
^^ Thanks so MUCH. Let's see if it will work..


Any more suggestions? :)

One last tip. For those of you trying to work out or "bulk up" during bhangra season you need to know two key things. Firstly taking protein shakes before, during, or immediately after working out can actually hinder your muscle repair process. Protein and fats are the hardest to digest for your body so they slow down your intake after a workout. The best thing to do is eat a solid carb meal 15 minutes after you workout. Secondly take your protein 2 hours after you workout for the best results.

If anyone has any questions about bhangra feel free to PM me! I'm sure I can find something to help you guys out. GOOD LUCK!
Protein 2 hours after you workout? Now that's bro-science :p ........
ahaha, bro science. most of what i have read says that you should have a meal with all the macronutrients within atleast an hour after a workout. to 'bulk up' essentially you eat a lot and lift heavy.

ENVY BANG-RUH said:
Do one of you bhangra health nuts know how many calories can be burned by doing an hour of bhangra?
rough estimates in my head for each hour
jhummar - 100 calories
dhamaal - 300
jugni - 80

a routine practiced. lets say it lasts 8 minutes and you burn around 80 calories. you have 3 run thoughs in an hour plus a little bit of practice on the side should get you out to 300 calories.


and totally agree that static stretching is stupid. but since it is pretty much tradition taught to us since 2nd grade PE we still do it.
 

SunnyParmar

New Member
Messages
97
COMTONDAJATT said:
gifty said:
SunnyParmar said:
Singhlarry23 said:
^^ Thanks so MUCH. Let's see if it will work..


Any more suggestions? :)

One last tip. For those of you trying to work out or "bulk up" during bhangra season you need to know two key things. Firstly taking protein shakes before, during, or immediately after working out can actually hinder your muscle repair process. Protein and fats are the hardest to digest for your body so they slow down your intake after a workout. The best thing to do is eat a solid carb meal 15 minutes after you workout. Secondly take your protein 2 hours after you workout for the best results.

If anyone has any questions about bhangra feel free to PM me! I'm sure I can find something to help you guys out. GOOD LUCK!
Protein 2 hours after you workout? Now that's bro-science :p ........
ahaha, bro science. most of what i have read says that you should have a meal with all the macronutrients within atleast an hour after a workout. to 'bulk up' essentially you eat a lot and lift heavy.

ENVY BANG-RUH said:
Do one of you bhangra health nuts know how many calories can be burned by doing an hour of bhangra?
rough estimates in my head for each hour
jhummar - 100 calories
dhamaal - 300
jugni - 80

a routine practiced. lets say it lasts 8 minutes and you burn around 80 calories. you have 3 run thoughs in an hour plus a little bit of practice on the side should get you out to 300 calories.


and totally agree that static stretching is stupid. but since it is pretty much tradition taught to us since 2nd grade PE we still do it.
It's even harder to stop the static stretching epidemic because coaches still do it in the beginning of practice is all sports especially since most people in BC play soccer. Remember you still need to do static stretching at the end of practice to prevent tightening of muscles lol.
 
Top