How to make a music set

J Wong

Flow - I think this is most important, if transitions are messy the set as a whole doesn't look clean. A good set shouldn't be a bunch of segments put together rather it should appear as one single group.

Music selection - I know this sounds obvious but its really important, use songs that make sense (i.e. listen to the punjabi). Also as something more for entertainment value, use songs that work together and sound good. For the first part, I suggest listening to NYPD mixes as Harman does this well. For flow, listen to any of the mixes Iqwak makes.

I think you know that good choreo is central to a good set so I won't go into depth with that.

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
1. Pick songs with general choreo ideas in mind
(i.e. Phatte chak will be a shykka segment)

2. Get a rough mix made

3. Choreo. Note down any changes you want made to the mix
(i.e modify song timings, transitions needed, add an extra verse, change the order of songs)

4. Get an updated mix made

5. Finalize your choreo based on updated mix. Sketch out formations

6. Practice. Add formations.

7. Make a practice video and watch it as if you were an audience member. Make sure your set is enjoyable to watch. Iron out any details such as how you will pick up props, how you will end your routine. This is your last chance to make changes (switch song orders, switch up moves, whatever)

8. Send practice video of finalized set, along with list of any final changes, to your DJ so he can make your finalized mix.
This is when he can add sound effects to emphasize your choreo, perfect the song transitions, add intro, etc.

9. Once you receive your final mix, your set should be done.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Mariam said:
This is when he can add sound effects to emphasize your choreo, perfect the song transitions, add intro, etc.
often, this is what distinguishes a really good music set from a passable one. it's something of a hallmark of the modern bhangra scene (listen to Sulman and Dheerja's podcast, it's SUPER interesting) and it's immensely enjoyable for the audience to have the music and dancing thusly intertwined.

himynameis

voxanimus said:
Mariam said:
often, this is what distinguishes a really good music set from a passable one. it's something of a hallmark of the modern bhangra scene (listen to Sulman and Dheerja's podcast, it's SUPER interesting) and it's immensely enjoyable for the audience to have the music and dancing thusly intertwined.
Dude 400+ posts in 9 months? lmao don't you have other things to do in life?

Nikhil

himynameis, seriously SHUT UP. Don't you have anything better to do than to give your 0 cents and hate?

You're average post per day is just 1 less than voxanimus. That means he's just posting 1 more comment per day than you. NOT REALLY THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE.

Also, since you've joined less than 6 months ago, the rate at which you're going, HATING ON EVERYTHING AND GIVING YOUR UNEDUCATED OPINION ON WHATEVER, you're projected to be posting just as much.

Since you're going to respond to this with an unbelievable amount of profanity and bad grammar because you're predictable, let me tell you something to make you think before writing:

GROW UP.

Manjot

himynameis said:
voxanimus said:
Mariam said:
no need to attack him lol keep your personal beef away from a topic...just pm him

J Wong

Nikhil said:
himynameis, seriously SHUT UP. Don't you have anything better to do than to give your 0 cents and hate?

You're average post per day is just 1 less than voxanimus. That means he's just posting 1 more comment per day than you. NOT REALLY THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE.

Also, since you've joined less than 6 months ago, the rate at which you're going, HATING ON EVERYTHING AND GIVING YOUR UNEDUCATED OPINION ON WHATEVER, you're projected to be posting just as much.

Since you're going to respond to this with an unbelievable amount of profanity and bad grammar because you're predictable, let me tell you something to make you think before writing:

GROW UP.
THE GODFATHER HAS SPOKEN.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Manjot said:
himynameis said:
voxanimus said:
Mariam said:
no need to attack him lol keep your personal beef away from a topic...just pm him
the amazing thing is, this was utterly unprovoked
i honestly have no idea why he randomly decided to bring this up...

himynameis

Nikhil said:

GROW UP.

Lol i didnt mean it in an offensive way but i guess since im a villain on this site already everything i say is going to be taken as an insult, i was joking its obvious that i spend alot of time on this too, so it was a kind of an ironic comment

But since you mentioned it Eat shit i don't care what anyone thinks, ive never ment any harm on anyone besides those dickheads that act smart, ive never hated on anyone just that stupid fucking Sikh coalition shit now if your gonna keep suking me dry on that thats you. seriously i want you to show me one fuking post ive made in which ive started a problem with someone and didnt apologize if i was wrong if you find one i swear to god ill stop posting on btf forever !!!!

smp

perhaps this will ease the tension, check it out Dj HaPPy (AKA"I Ain't Neva Mad") new sample of soon to be hit debut single, support the movement!

Kaur

Hahah, so easy to pick out the rookies in bhangra these days, cant do nothing but laugh it off lol.

1. Music selection

2.. choreography

3. Always want a really strong powerful opening, never want it to be too slow

4. Dont let your routine drop after jhummer, that should be the only drop after then keep adding more and more hype with each song

5. Try to be different and not swing, throw, props like most teams do these days, or connect your khunde and make a circle :p

6. Creativity- decide which way you want to add it into your set. If you have awsome choreographers on your team who can come up with new ways of doing moves then go for that (ex sgpd), if you would rather add creativity with non bhangra related props then go for that (aeg, nj)

7. its all trial an error, its very rare to make a set where every single song,move, idea is a hit, ive only seen (sgpd elite 2011, nj elite 2010, vcu burgh ) ever make a set like that, but thats just my opinion

Goodluck :)

J Wong

Being traditional - this is something that I prefer, but I feel that music sets look better if form and choreo are traditional.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING TRADITIONAL IS BETTER THAN MODERN, BOTH HAVE THEIR HIGH POINTS.

Bharathi

Just curious...on our team we do all the choreo first, learn and finalize it, THEN do formations.

I've heard feedback that other teams do choreo/formations at the same time as they are moving along in the set.

What do teams do?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of each method?

I'm very interested to hear other viewpoints.

J Wong

I like doing choreo first then formations because I would rather have the choreo committed to muscle memory before we go into movements. Furthermore, I think that doing choreo and formations at the same time is a lot for newer dancers to take in.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
J Wong said:
Being traditional - this is something that I prefer, but I feel that music sets look better if form and choreo are traditional.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING TRADITIONAL IS BETTER THAN MODERN, BOTH HAVE THEIR HIGH POINTS.
dodged a bullet there bro

also, i've found it difficult to learn how to do a move while moving. it's almost like relearning that move. any advice for this? for example, how do you do phull while moving (forward, let's say)? it's impossible.