Koi Mor Liavo Ni, Bhangra Mera Margeya Ni Bhangra Mera Margeya

amancheema

Just wanted to clarify that this thread was not intended to target any team or competition committee so please don't take it as a personal attack... Hard work and dedication is consistently put into sets and shows so the fruits of labor need to be credited regardless of immensely varying personal opinions.

What started as a thread for comical purposes has turned into an interesting discussion though... nice to see there are people on both sides of the camp

sumeetj

as much as I think that "good dancing" should be rewarded, I feel like it also could be a much too far a subjective thing to truly base judging on - there are some dancers who I think have amazing form and great stage presence, and there are some that I think have shitty form but those same dancers many times appear on peoples lists of "top dancers" and such - unless specific criteria are laid out for what constitutes "good dancing" (consistent modhey, good posture, explosive bethkes, legs picked up high, etc etc) how else could it be fairly judged where opinion/background doesn't heavily influence it?

Sid's post is spot on - people will continue to do what brings the trophies in, and that is set by the competition's rubric, not the "laws of bhangra"

Gaurav Sidhu

Learning from a bhangra ustaad and learning from youtube videos are 2 different things. Its indescribable how much an ustaad can impact a team and there performance. A huge problem on the circuit today is half the teams arent even doing the basic bhangra moves properly. It doesnt get worse then that. Having an ustaad you atleast learn how the original moves are done. IMO the biggest problem on the circuit today is bhangra its self in the routine is being rushed to much during the performance and we are always looking for the next big entertaining factor in each segment. If we took our time to show how good we are in BHANGRA and show the move being done properly on the spot then moving into a formation...youd feel like you were watching a team actually dance where as now its u do like half a move on the spot then move right away and then do another half and run across the stage to another formation..TAKE YOUR TIME..bhangra tika ke pau. Bhangra has now become alot about POWER and not about grace. There has to be a balance of both. With grace comes that "beautiful" factor to bhangra and along with grace comes that crazy ass REAL nakhara which is rarely seen these days on the circuit. Be confident in your dancers and style more then your formations and gimmicks. Being taught by ustaad Narinder Aujla from the age of 8 ive learned that bhangra is at its best form when you dont look like your enjoying it but you actually are. Bring back bhangra that has FLOW to it. You'll enjoy it and the people watching will enjoy it even more.

Just my opinion.

lavesh

Gaurav Sidhu said:
Learning from a bhangra ustaad and learning from youtube videos are 2 different things. Its indescribable how much an ustaad can impact a team and there performance. A huge problem on the circuit today is half the teams arent even doing the basic bhangra moves properly. It doesnt get worse then that. Having an ustaad you atleast learn how the original moves are done. IMO the biggest problem on the circuit today is bhangra its self in the routine is being rushed to much during the performance and we are always looking for the next big entertaining factor in each segment. If we took our time to show how good we are in BHANGRA and show the move being done properly on the spot then moving into a formation...youd feel like you were watching a team actually dance where as now its u do like half a move on the spot then move right away and then do another half and run across the stage to another formation..TAKE YOUR TIME..bhangra tika ke pau. Bhangra has now become alot about POWER and not about grace. There has to be a balance of both. With grace comes that "beautiful" factor to bhangra and along with grace comes that crazy ass REAL nakhara which is rarely seen these days on the circuit. Be confident in your dancers and style more then your formations and gimmicks. Being taught by ustaad Narinder Aujla from the age of 8 ive learned that bhangra is at its best form when you dont look like your enjoying it but you actually are. Bring back bhangra that has FLOW to it. You'll enjoy it and the people watching will enjoy it even more.

Just my opinion.
well said bro...i dont post on here much anymone, but you hit it spot on

Though I am an “outsider” to the American bhangra competition circuit ( < disclaimer), it seems to me that it is important that people ocassionally (or even more than occasionally) express what they value in bhangra and what sort of aesthetic features they prefer or would like to see emphasized. It’s a good reminder fort everyone that people value different things.

People can split hairs about the way someone expresses it. They can say that that person’s choice of words is not ideal. However, I think that should not stand in the way of letting them express it…and perhaps listening sympathetically.

Some of the values are not very compatible with the fact that the circuit is essentially about competitions. So, there is a “reality” there that may be challenging to realizing one’s values. It seems legit to me, too, that people express their frustration with that reality. If they’re not quite ready to go about changing that reality —i.e. the competitive nature, the staged nature, the need to conform to judging rubrics, etc— then it’s fair enough to tell them to get off their butt and try to change that. Still, if people want to express frustration ( = complain), I say let them go for it :)

I think it is very possible that within the next few years we’ll see a change to the way of doing things. Perhaps some will envision an alternative to the competition system, and that will create a space where some of these alternative/minority values can be realized.

jfried

amancheema said:
Just wanted to clarify that this thread was not intended to target any team or competition committee so please don't take it as a personal attack... Hard work and dedication is consistently put into sets and shows so the fruits of labor need to be credited regardless of immensely varying personal opinions.

What started as a thread for comical purposes has turned into an interesting discussion though... nice to see there are people on both sides of the camp

Oh, I know. It just amuses me how much butthurt there is in this thread in general.

arjunK

mrchicity said:
Yeah, but we also learned by watching some of the best dancers in the circuit in person, doing sets with them, and later making routines with an emphasis on form and execution first (doesn't matter what kind of style it is). The teams that did it right back then knew what they were doing and could make original content while still having sets that flowed. Teams like LBC, Duniya, SGPD, NJ, VCU, 3D, these were the teams that were placing back then and you could never argue that anyone else in those comps were better dancers. Yeah I'm living in the past, but it doesn't seem so farfetch'd to me that some of those principles still apply, the idea that better dancing should be rewarded over gimmicks. This isn't folk vs modern, this is just asking to see sets that have great dancing AND great creativity that isn't slowed down or overtaken by gimmicks that have nothing to do with bhangra.

Am i the only one who caught this brilliant pokemon reference?

adityagrover

rangli jawani waajan maardi
lagda saareyan da ego hurt hoya peya. BIG UPS TO AMAN CHEEMA FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH.

and if your ego got hurt, go cry to your maata ji. maawan thandiyan chhawan. asli babbar sher gajjde rhenge.

vishwassodhi

Dear Bhangra Community of the North American Continent,

This is a humble request.

Enough is enough. We are tired of watching this befajool gandh.

Some one, some team please bring the #THAR and #PUNJABI back to the beloved dance formerly known as BHANGRA.

If we wanted to watch a circus or magic show, we would pay for one.

Please stop cheating your way around the folk dance of my culture.

Best,
Aman Cheema

Aman veeray,

had to find this post and make it relevant, can we please revisit this topic? bhangra haje vi mareya pea, koi ni morh ke lyaya. The befajool gandh keeps getting more and more befajool each passing year. We need coaches to train so many of the teams nowadays, because seems like the circuit is hitting rock bottom, set creation and dancing quality is at an all time low.

hardeep_singh

Aman veeray,

had to find this post and make it relevant, can we please revisit this topic? bhangra haje vi mareya pea, koi ni morh ke lyaya. The befajool gandh keeps getting more and more befajool each passing year. We need coaches to train so many of the teams nowadays, because seems like the circuit is hitting rock bottom, set creation and dancing quality is at an all time low.
don't worry veeray learnbhangra app will save folk bhangra and punjabi culture