KONY 2012

Badwal

New Member
Messages
543
smalhi said:
I just logged on after ages to post exactly this so hi5 Badwal!

People, we spend a ton on our teams/each performance heck even just going to a comp to kick it so helping this organization out shouldn't even be a question. A tiny fraction of the amount we usually spend could make the world's difference for these kids. The video is 30 minutes long, watch it. Before you brush it off cause its too long realize thats roughly 3 different bhangra performances and many of y'all watch more than that in one sitting.

The bhangra community is spread out across the world; BTF alone has 6853 members and thats MORE than enough to give this effort a huge push. If you have any hesitance or are feeling just plain lazy think about your favorite little kid (sibling/cousin/niece/nephew/son/daughter etc) and imagine them being taken away from you forever.

The organization is legit and has made huge strides in their 9 years of hard work. They really want to make 2012 significant by putting an end to Kony so find it in the goodness of your heart to do what you can!
+1
 

singh5327

singh5327
Messages
149
smalhi said:
I just logged on after ages to post exactly this so hi5 Badwal!

People, we spend a ton on our teams/each performance heck even just going to a comp to kick it so helping this organization out shouldn't even be a question. A tiny fraction of the amount we usually spend could make the world's difference for these kids. The video is 30 minutes long, watch it. Before you brush it off cause its too long realize thats roughly 3 different bhangra performances and many of y'all watch more than that in one sitting.

The bhangra community is spread out across the world; BTF alone has 6853 members and thats MORE than enough to give this effort a huge push. If you have any hesitance or are feeling just plain lazy think about your favorite little kid (sibling/cousin/niece/nephew/son/daughter etc) and imagine them being taken away from you forever.

The organization is legit and has made huge strides in their 9 years of hard work. They really want to make 2012 significant by putting an end to Kony so find it in the goodness of your heart to do what you can!

+1.....this a great campaign and something more people should definitely be looking into.
 

H.S.

New Member
Messages
183
At first, I was really into the video and doing whatever I could to support the invisible children organization,


but, after doing some thorough research and reading into the organization, I'm 2nd guessing donating money to the organization. Turns out that roughly 1/4 (about 2.5 million) of the money actually goes to the cause (kids, schools, etc.), while the remaining money is used for administration purposes. It's only been given a 2 star rating from the BBB when it comes to transparency of the organization and distribution of funds.


However,


I still support the media effort and sharing the video so people know, I support donating my time with/for the movement, just not my money.
 

mithu

Active Member
Messages
793
H.S. said:
At first, I was really into the video and doing whatever I could to support the invisible children organization,


but, after doing some thorough research and reading into the organization, I'm 2nd guessing donating money to the organization. Turns out that roughly 1/4 (about 2.5 million) of the money actually goes to the cause (kids, schools, etc.), while the remaining money is used for administration purposes. It's only been given a 2 star rating from the BBB when it comes to transparency of the organization and distribution of funds.


However,


I still support the media effort and sharing the video so people know, I support donating my time with/for the movement, just not my money.

This is the same reason why i donate money to charities as often i used. I mean they need attention, but when more than half the money you donate doesnt even go to where they say it.
 

sgrewal30

Member
Messages
609
Ok yeah you can't stop him by liking a status. Sending money to this organization shows that money IS going to helping the cause even if its not all of it. BUT the goal mentioned in this video was to simply make Joseph Kony a house hold name and make what he's doing piss off enough people for them to AGREE that our country should help. Thats alllllll. It's not like its going to make a HUGE difference but something is better than nothing right? How hard is it to just pass on some information?
 

mithu

Active Member
Messages
793
There is growing outrage in Uganda over a viral internet film viewed by more than 32 million people in four days that suggests Africa’s longest-running conflict is still raging in the country’s north.
The 30-minute video, Kony2012, was produced by three American videographers campaigning for greater efforts to capture Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).
But Kony and his diminishing troops, many of them kidnapped child soldiers, fled northern Uganda six years ago and are now spread across the jungles of neighbouring countries.
“What that video says is totally wrong, and it can cause us more problems than help us,” said Dr Beatrice Mpora, director of Kairos, a community health organisation in Gulu, a town that was once the centre of the rebels’ activities.
“There has not been a single soul from the LRA here since 2006. Now we have peace, people are back in their homes, they are planting their fields, they are starting their businesses. That is what people should help us with.


source: [SIZE=78%]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/uganda/9131469/Joseph-Kony-2012-growing-outrage-in-Uganda-over-film.html[/SIZE]
 

sgrewal30

Member
Messages
609
^ that was mentioned towards the end of the video. That they have moved into different countries (farther north west i believe...)
 

sgrewal30

Member
Messages
609
p.s. if that video and organization were wrong, then people like Oprah, Piers Morgan, Anderson Cooper, and some Senators wouldn't even give two shits. They're not going to put their chances of reelection on the line for something that's complete B.S. Oprah knew about this much longer than probably any of us. Oprah don't play.
 

mithu

Active Member
Messages
793
sgrewal30 said:
p.s. if that video and organization were wrong, then people like Oprah, Piers Morgan, Anderson Cooper, and some Senators wouldn't even give two shits. They're not going to put their chances of reelection on the line for something that's complete B.S. Oprah knew about this much longer than probably any of us. Oprah don't play.

because they are paid to do it. They actually got facebook and twitter to block visiblechildren.tumblr.com because they broke down invisible children, so everybody could understand how shady they are.


they sped more money on useless things like videos, ads, opera, etc etc than actually helping the children in other countries, specially when you can rake in 9 million $
 

mithu

Active Member
Messages
793
sgrewal30 said:
just seems to me like they spend alot on trying to make him known...

I agree w. the cause, but if they can make more than 9 million/ year, they should spend only 25% on salary and shit, and 75% on actually trying to give to the children.
 

sgrewal30

Member
Messages
609
mithu said:
sgrewal30 said:
just seems to me like they spend alot on trying to make him known...

I agree w. the cause, but if they can make more than 9 million/ year, they should spend only 25% on salary and shit, and 75% on actually trying to give to the children.
agreed
 
Top