Lets go back 54 years

Vijay

great find, make sure to watch clip 2 as well.

caption:

This is one of the first bhangra scenes captured on film, from the 1957 movie Naya Daur. The video features Ustad Bhanna Ram playing dhol, and dancers Balbir Singh Sekhon and Manohar Deepak. Bhanna Ram was born in 1910 in Sheikhupura, Punjab (current day Pakistan) and learned dhol from Janab Mohammad Ali. Bhanna Ram is thought to be one of the 3 dhol masters from the pre-partition era, the other 2 being Ghuggi and Munshi Ram. [Gibb]

Some things of note: 1) The use of sapp/kato: There's some debate as to when the use of kato and sapp was introduced to 'bhangra', so this video places that around 1955-56 at the latest. 2) 'Pagg' styles: It is quite apparent that the dominant style of pagg in this video is sialkoti gol pagg. Similarly, the dancers in other early videos like Jagte Raho also tie this type of pagg. It raises an interesting question since modern day bhangra is almost exclusively performed with a 'turla-tedi pagg'. Was bhangra traditionally performed with this type of pagg, or was it just the preferred method of Manohar Deepak's group? 3) Flips/Acrobatics: The flips and acrobatics may seem a little odd given the modern sense that they are inappropriate for bhangra. However, considering the baazigar background of Bhanna Ram, it is not surprising that they would infuse the dance with elements from that community.

faizan

Just shut up and dance
haha, i wonder what the "folk" btf members would say if a 2011 team did this...there is no folk.

amrinder13

Great post Vijay, Guggi is a legend and Munshi Ram is Ravi Dana's grandfather.. good to know there is some knowledgeable folks out there..

dudhmakhna

faizan said:
haha, i wonder what the "folk" btf members would say if a 2011 team did this...there is no folk.
yes there is... and today's folk bhangra is illustrated by boliyan and composition of the bhangra routine.

you can't just put together any routine and start dancing over any song that a singer sings over a dhol and call it "folk"... you see a lot of this in the uk bhangra live scene.

there is much more going on in a live routine than there is in a music routine.

however... I don't understand when people call music routines folk... I can understand them being somewhat traditional, but definitely not folk.

side note: if I'm not mistaken, theres a difference between jatt bhangra and this type of bhangra

but let's not turn this into a definition of folk thread now. thanks for the post

faizan

Just shut up and dance
ohhh, you meant "today's folk," I thought you meant like actual folk, like folk dance or folk story...you mean like folk 2011, not folk actual folk dancing...then you're right.

dudhmakhna

Ashveer said:
dudhmakhna said:
faizan said:
jatt bhangra and this type of bhangra
LOLWUT
lol I didn't mean it like that haha I'm not a major fan of the caste system or anything... but I remember reading something in Gibb's paper about jatt bhangra vs baazigar bhangra. the scene in the first vid fits in perfectly with the description of baazigar bhangra (with the stunts and all)

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
dudhmakhna said:
Ashveer said:
dudhmakhna said:
faizan said:
jatt bhangra and this type of bhangra
LOLWUT
lol I didn't mean it like that haha I'm not a major fan of the caste system or anything... but I remember reading something in Gibb's paper about jatt bhangra vs baazigar bhangra. the scene in the first vid fits in perfectly with the description of baazigar bhangra (with the stunts and all)
citation accepted.

Ashveer

Very interesting news to me! Bits I found:
"The notion of a Jatt playing dhol, although it may present no problem to design illustrators, is fairly ridiculous to most Indian dholis. Most would be hesitant to take on a Jatt as a student" pg 69

"Furthermore, given what we know about the social system it is likely that even if the ethnic composition of dancers was mixed, nonetheless the higher and lower classes did not dance together. I propose a scenario where different sections of society danced their own bhangra—or something of the sort—separately. The Bazigar, for example, have indicated their dancing bhangra and other dances alone within their community. Garib Dass remembers that when the Bazigars danced, they had a lot of “fun” with it, including in the performance both acts of pantomiming (svang) and their acrobatic bazi-s. Some contemporary bhangra advocates stress that acrobatics, often performed in staged bhangra, were never part of the original bhangra. However, while this would almost certainly be the case with
the mainstream or Jatt bhangra, which took center stage at Vaisakhi fairs, the Bazigar account suggests other bhangra-s. Another example of a sort of community-specific bhangra is the hemr‚ ı dance described by Bedi. Ascribed to the district Sargodha area, he says it was danced especially by Musalli people (i.e. Muslim Chuhra) (Bedi 1981:925). It was like a bhangra that included svang, which they danced in front of homes until given a donation of flour (ibid). These examples are enough to problematize the notion that bhangra had any one style that can be sourced and compared to as an “original,” and they help to explain why the images of community- danced bhangra after Independence are so incohesive." pp 591-592

From Gibb Schreffler's dissertation. More here: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/main-bhangra-discussion/major-publication-on-dhol-punjabi-dances-musicians-culture/

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Great discussion.

On a side note, anyone heard of the Hindi/Urdu world "kala bazi" meaning acrobatics/somersault/flip? I guess we can now see where it was derived from.

~ Basim :)