Livestreams

bparikh

I'm just curious as to why bhangra comps tend to not really livestream unless its a comp that is also part of a fusion one (ex: buckeye mela/adz). I know livestreams are huge in the fusion circuit and was just wondering why they aren't in the the bhangra circuit, let me know your thoughts/reasoning (especially comp organizers). Is it something that we could be seeing more of in the upcoming season?

Howie Magz

There isn't a exact answer but for me most teams would not want their set to be seen in the circuit bc majority of us carry the same set for almost the whole year. Live streaming tends to leave the video up for a couple of days before it is officially taken down. This leads to all the posts adter a comp of a team asking not to put there video up publicly if anyone in the audience has taken a video to send it to the captains of the respective teams. However more comps in the bhangra circuit are live streaming (bruin)

bparikh

What you're saying makes total and complete sense, especially when it comes to judging. At the same time though, quite a few fusion teams also have the same set throughout their competition season (yes I get that they switch up their sets, but as far as I've seen it isn't ever an extreme amount, and I know of bhangra teams switching up songs/choreo throughout their season) so that still goes back to the same question, why do they still live stream and we don't? Is it more of a mindset difference between fusion and bhangra circuits then?
I suppose then that this may be more of a question for fusion circuit participants and how they feel about comp livestreams.
From an audience only perspective though, I think that expanding livestreams is really cool and I think that bruin, being the last major comp in the us circuit, doing that makes sense for the teams as well.

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Economically speaking, live streams probably aren't in the best interest of some comps, in terms of ticket sales. If people are more invested in other things, they might not take the chance to see the competition in person and just hope there's a live stream. Though, given certain situations where one in the US can't easily travel to affordably, like the UK or Australia, live streams are certainly amazing. If competitions incentived this aspect, I'm sure more would utilize it.

As for people seeing sets and having videos posted for a while, I agree with Howie.

JimmyJatt463

These are some of the reasons for not running a live stream for a comp:
1) biggest reason is loss of ticket sales because people will simply watch the live stream and not come to the show.
2) teams performing similar sets at following comps lose hype because people know what's coming up.
3) teams don't want unofficial video released that doesn't reflect the actual performance.
4) people providing official video will lose some of their audience (if they aren't also providing the live stream as well.

Live streams need to happen for every comp from now on. Especially after the success of the Bruin broadcast by Bruin and Harjot Hundal. Personally I think it would be great and it grows the audience for bhangra overall as people from all over the world can tune in and see comps. In my eyes, this would be great advertising for organisers as well because if teams see a competition run well, they are more likely to apply and compete there. A majority of the competition audience will attend the comp regardless of live stream because they have family and friends competing. I don't think a loss in ticket sales is a very valid reason for not broadcasting the comp to the public.
Hopefully comps start live streaming more, teams start releasing videos of their performances (honestly what you perform on the day matters most, not if it was similar to previous sets) and the bhangra circuit as a whole grows

Prabhzy

Livestreams are great for audiences that cant make it to the show. The US is such a big country and it could help people to watch comps they wont be able to go to and also people from UK/Australia/Canada as well.

The local ticket sales are from people who usually will attend the show anyway regardless to support their friends and family who are performing. If comps really dont want to comprise sales, they could charge $5 or something from online viewers ( for a good quality stream), so that way overseas and out of state people are happy and some revenue is still coming in.

( I know id be happy to pay $5 or something for a decent stream that doesnt buffer half the time)

sahab

Livestreams are great for audiences that cant make it to the show. The US is such a big country and it could help people to watch comps they wont be able to go to and also people from UK/Australia/Canada as well.

The local ticket sales are from people who usually will attend the show anyway regardless to support their friends and family who are performing. If comps really dont want to comprise sales, they could charge $5 or something from online viewers ( for a good quality stream), so that way overseas and out of state people are happy and some revenue is still coming in.

( I know id be happy to pay $5 or something for a decent stream that doesnt buffer half the time)

I would be willing to pay for a live stream that's excellent quality.

lalfuture

Would a competition have to have its own livestream service?

What about competition committees using a portion of the money from registration fees into funding a livestream service? If teams don't like it, they don't have to register. Make it part of the registration contract, agreement, etc.

mithu

Would a competition have to have its own livestream service?

What about competition committees using a portion of the money from registration fees into funding a livestream service? If teams don't like it, they don't have to register. Make it part of the registration contract, agreement, etc.
There are plenty of free services out there (twitch & youtube come to mind).
But some major issues are: venue(wifi is terrible for streaming), copyright, and ticket sales.

Saab

Today is a gift
I would be willing to pay for a live stream that's excellent quality.
Working on it.

Need some small infrastructure investment, but if you want livestreaming to be a thing, you really need to target ad money and incentivize people to be on the legit stream. Honestly, having a high-up front cost/low-cost maintenance stream that can pull in additional revenue(and migrating ads from just the booklet no one reads to the stream everyone will actually watch is big).

Big thing is scale and creating a framework/product that can be reused by other comps(thus defraying costs due to scale). If its pretty light and the infrastructure can be improved(or even provided ad-hoc), it can generate additional money to be re-targeted to putting asses in seats.