LONE STAR BHANGRA COMING SOON!

rajmirza

Hey guys, I posted in the forum recently and had several teams respond, thank you very much. As I am moving with along with the competition, the details are as follows...COMPETITION NAME: RAI'M (PRONOUNCED RHYME) ENTERTAINMENT PRESENT: LONE STAR BHANGRA DATE: MARCH 9TH 2013CITY: HOUSTON TXThose whom are interested please message me directly on the forum or my personal email rajmirza6@gmail.com. As this is the FIRST EVER COMPETITION that is being hosted in Houston, the teams whom have contacted me already have admission into the competition. We need a few more teams to have the competition complete. At the end of the month I plan on sending out the registration packets out to the teams whom have reached me, it will have the details of the competition in depth, which I'm currently working on. Thanks for the patients of the teams whom have reached me thus far. More to come in the following week. Thanks. Raj MirzaMarketing ManagerRAI'M ENTERTAINMENT

Howie Magz

I'm quite confused. So only teams who have reached out to you are allowed to compete in this competition? There isn't a public registration packet for those of us who want to apply?

rajmirza

Registration is open to ALL TEAMS WHOM ARE INTERESTED. In my previous posts several teams contacted me within a few days and I reserved a spot for them. Why would I decline them when they reached out to us first? If you're interested about getting your team registered YOU'RE THEN WELCOME TO SHOW INTEREST MY FRIEND.

rajmirza

And Yes, the venue has been booked. It going to be held at Cullen Performance Hall. It is our companies first time hosting and that suites us prefect. You're then welcome to google it and check it out yourself.

rajmirza said:
Registration is open to ALL TEAMS WHOM ARE INTERESTED. In my previous posts several teams contacted me within a few days and I reserved a spot for them. Why would I decline them when they reached out to us first? If you're interested about getting your team registered YOU'RE THEN WELCOME TO SHOW INTEREST MY FRIEND.
So not cool like that gives other teams such a unfair chance of applying. Does that mean that there is only a few more spots remaining? It should be a open registration to all teams that apply and then the committee should decide on the teams they want performing. Not trying to be rude saying with what i'm about to say but good luck having a successful comp in Texas with things like that....

also

rajmirza said:
And Yes, the venue has been booked. It going to be held at Cullen Performance Hall. It is our companies first time hosting and that suites us prefect. You're then welcome to google it and check it out yourself.
Since your the comp organizer? You should post all venue information, stage size, location, etc..

If teams know that they are going to be treated really well they will apply! if they see anything that will turn them off they will not come ... I know smaller teams may still apply but I personally think the goal of a " First" comp in houston is to make it unforgettable that way people will return the following years.Your goal in a bigger picture is to get teams like bk, sgpd, pcba, aeg and such to come down to Texas.

trust me when i say there is a very big fan base for big name teams in texas and people will come to watch.

lakha23

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜਿਊਣਾ
Deepi253 said:
If teams know that they are going to be treated really well they will apply! if they see anything that will turn them off they will not come ... I know smaller teams may still apply but I personally think the goal of a " First" comp in houston is to make it unforgettable that way people will return the following years.Your goal in a bigger picture is to get teams like bk, sgpd, pcba, aeg and such to come down to Texas.

trust me when i say there is a very big fan base for big name teams in texas and people will come to watch.

Word on that deep well said !

rajmirza

So this post I believe is being taken out of context. As I said ALL TEAMS ARE MORE THEN WELCOME TO APPLY. The SMALL teams will get SAME consideration as much as the BIG teams. And again let me clarify... The reserved spot is for the registration packet of the teams whom have shown INTEREST. I will not turn them down for wanting to register as WE WILL NOT TURN DOWN ANY OTHER TEAM FROM APPLYING. Whom mind you will get SAME respect as anyone to apply. When I originally posted up for the competition a few teams showed interest, by NO MEANS WAS I STOPPING ANY OTHER TEAMS FROM APPLYING THEN OR NOW. I am under the impression that NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO APPLY other then those whom have contacted me directly. I have what? A lttle over 500 views on my last post but where are the direct messages? Emails? If you were hosting an event, what would you think? The team whom shows "INTEREST" we put them on the list of "POTENTIAL" candidates to be selected to compete. Part of being "organized". Now thus far about 5-10 teams whom have shown INTEREST DIRECTLY to me, which is about the amount of teams we need for the event, if we have 20 teams show and are "INTERESTED" in applying, are more then welcome to contact me DIRECTLY like everyone else. I'm very seldom on here unless I get message, getting an email lets me save it and remember whom to send the registration packet out to. But can NOT select all 20 teams to compete now can we? And if we only have 10 teams now that doesn't we are done with the registration process, it will continue til the deadline, which will be said in the packet and in the post of the full launch of the competition. I ALONE will NOT make the decision now or during the selection process. There is NOTHING UNFAIR about that. Going to meetings all day, calling, meeting, school, work, meeting continues daily...that is my typical day bro. Now, as this is the "FIRST" COMPETITION being held in TEXAS. I'm not quitting my day job. But will make sure this is a success as much as possible then yes I might consider this full time. I know we, as a competition, will face put downs from everyone else. Again the misinterpretation of the statement has been blown out of context. And to let you know the stage information will be included in registration packet along with hotel, transportation, venue, pre-party information, prizes information for the teams, etc. Why would I include the stage info when I didn't have the venue locked in until this afternoon September 6th? That is why I also mentioned to those teams who showed interest in the beginning that I will send out the registration packet at the end of September when all things were officially locked in from all services we are wanting to provide. Which is when we were also going to launch this competition FULLY. And open registration to ALL TEAMS til Mid November, giving adequate time for ANY TEAM TO APPLY. Again those teams whom have shown "INTEREST" will get the packet for admission into the competition. It is up to them to apply and will be considered for competition. And our packet is a private document ONLY for the teams NOT public information. Do apologize if I'm not making that public. Mind you my friend we are booking the finest services for all participants whom will be selected to compete. That is another reason it is taking so long to get all of this done and making sure the teams have minimal costs out of pocket. I'm a very detail oriented person and making sure that I'm covering all topics. As the Marketing Manager, It is my job to make sure that all teams have the BEST, we as a company want all participants to come back NOT only to compete but to also bring family and friends to visit. We are not only promoting our competition but the city of HOUSTON, and also TEXAS. As I also mentioned in an earlier post, this will be as BIG as TEXAS. Hopefully, this clears any doubt or misconception of the competition. Thanks.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
bolding things is like highlighting them
it doesn't work if you indiscriminately use it on everything

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
rajmirza said:
So this post I believe is being taken out of context. As I said ALL TEAMS ARE MORE THEN WELCOME TO APPLY. The SMALL teams will get SAME consideration as much as the BIG teams. And again let me clarify... The reserved spot is for the registration packet of the teams whom have shown INTEREST. I will not turn them down for wanting to register as WE WILL NOT TURN DOWN ANY OTHER TEAM FROM APPLYING. Whom mind you will get SAME respect as anyone to apply. When I originally posted up for the competition a few teams showed interest, by NO MEANS WAS I STOPPING ANY OTHER TEAMS FROM APPLYING THEN OR NOW. I am under the impression that NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO APPLY other then those whom have contacted me directly. I have what? A lttle over 500 views on my last post but where are the direct messages? Emails? If you were hosting an event, what would you think? The team whom shows "INTEREST" we put them on the list of "POTENTIAL" candidates to be selected to compete. Part of being "organized". Now thus far about 5-10 teams whom have shown INTEREST DIRECTLY to me, which is about the amount of teams we need for the event, if we have 20 teams show and are "INTERESTED" in applying, are more then welcome to contact me DIRECTLY like everyone else. I'm very seldom on here unless I get message, getting an email lets me save it and remember whom to send the registration packet out to. But can NOT select all 20 teams to compete now can we? And if we only have 10 teams now that doesn't we are done with the registration process, it will continue til the deadline, which will be said in the packet and in the post of the full launch of the competition. I ALONE will NOT make the decision now or during the selection process. There is NOTHING UNFAIR about that. Going to meetings all day, calling, meeting, school, work, meeting continues daily...that is my typical day bro. Now, as this is the "FIRST" COMPETITION being held in TEXAS. I'm not quitting my day job. But will make sure this is a success as much as possible then yes I might consider this full time. I know we, as a competition, will face put downs from everyone else. Again the misinterpretation of the statement has been blown out of context. And to let you know the stage information will be included in registration packet along with hotel, transportation, venue, pre-party information, prizes information for the teams, etc. Why would I include the stage info when I didn't have the venue locked in until this afternoon September 6th? That is why I also mentioned to those teams who showed interest in the beginning that I will send out the registration packet at the end of September when all things were officially locked in from all services we are wanting to provide. Which is when we were also going to launch this competition FULLY. And open registration to ALL TEAMS til Mid November, giving adequate time for ANY TEAM TO APPLY. Again those teams whom have shown "INTEREST" will get the packet for admission into the competition. It is up to them to apply and will be considered for competition. And our packet is a private document ONLY for the teams NOT public information. Do apologize if I'm not making that public. Mind you my friend we are booking the finest services for all participants whom will be selected to compete. That is another reason it is taking so long to get all of this done and making sure the teams have minimal costs out of pocket. I'm a very detail oriented person and making sure that I'm covering all topics. As the Marketing Manager, It is my job to make sure that all teams have the BEST, we as a company want all participants to come back NOT only to compete but to also bring family and friends to visit. We are not only promoting our competition but the city of HOUSTON, and also TEXAS. As I also mentioned in an earlier post, this will be as BIG as TEXAS. Hopefully, this clears any doubt or misconception of the competition. Thanks.

Back in high school, a friend of mine once liked a girl and attempted to court her. However, he was young and naive and had watched a few too many Bollywood flicks. One afternoon, he decided to express his infatuation by giving her three bouquets of differing flowers, a box of chocolates, a stuffed animal (apparently, an inside joke), a belated birthday card and an origami heart made with red construction paper with their names next to each other. Not surprisingly, things did not go the way he had hoped and the lass was a wee bit like WTF?!?!. I consoled him afterwards, "Way too much, bro. You would have saved all of us a headache and some embarassment and gotten a more favorable reaction and maintained some respect with a simple, straightforward statement, like just a flower." Thankfully, the story doesn't end all bad - he let me keep like half of the chocolates.

faizan

Just shut up and dance
more confusion and doubt...

if you're gonna throw a competition, know the circuit before you book a place. otherwise you're just wasting your money.

rajmirza

Where is confusion? If you want to apply no one is stopping from doing so. Just show interest and yes we will send out the registration packet out to you. Simple as that. Nothing confusing.

arnab

also just a quick note- the folks at R2B2 in Houston will probably contest your "first competition in Texas" claim

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Post#1 to discuss a few competition related issues -

voxanimus said:
bolding things is like highlighting them
it doesn't work if you indiscriminately use it on everything
+1 to what voxanimus stated. Also, using proper grammar and sentence structure will do a lot for maintaining a professional outlook for your competition. To start, try separating your thoughts/points into separate paragraphs.

But just to address a few points:
rajmirza said:
Now, as this is the "FIRST" COMPETITION being held in TEXAS.
Certainly not the "FIRST" competition in Texas, actually not even the "FIRST" in Houston - this is an example of what Faizan might be suggesting. You really need to know the Bhangra circuit well before you make a fool of yourself & your marketing/promotion company (God forbid you write something about being the "FIRST" on your promotional material, t-shirts, etc). If you don't know the North American bhangra circuit or even the Texas bhangra circuit, trust me, you'll be fighting an uphill battle the entire time.

I would suggest looking at how big competitions go about handling things (i.e. Elite 8, Boston Bhangra, Bhangra Idols, Bruin Bhangra, etc). Most have been established for many years and have a lot of experience in running large events. Your research will pay off here and I have contacts for each of these competition organizers if you need to reach out to them. PLEASE don't have an "ego" when running a Bhangra competition (especially for the first time) - there is a lot of lessons that even these long established competitions learn as they run events year after year.

You also posted this in your other thread:
rajmirza said:
By posting the packet on BTF what will that accomplish or prove?
A better question to ask you is: why keep the registration packet private? What type of confidential information are you putting in the registration packet to not release it to the public and allow ALL teams to apply at the same time? There are probably 50+ registration packets you can download from BTF from a variety of competitions & events – what’s the need to be exclusive unless you copied information from other competitions (not accusing you; just questioning your motive)?

As you go through the process of throwing a competition, one of the things you’ll realize quickly is teams (and those that follow the circuit) demand TRANSPARENCY from the organizers and judges. Another thing you’ll realize is that PROMPT, PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION is desired highly by the team, spectators, and BTF.

I know you’re quite prompt with your communication, which trust me, we ALL appreciate. We also greatly appreciate you taking the time to address concerns. I hope this continues. BTF is a good place to get some general feedback and take advice, so don't think we are "all out to get you."

~ Basim :)

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Post#2 to give further advice for your TX competition -

Lastly, I really hope you stay FAR AWAY from associating your competition with the following people:

Rupinder Sandhu (who did not give teams their prize money after the "Texas Showdown" competition in 2009)

Anil Prasad (who last had intentions of throwing a competition in Houston after his "Bhangra Blizzard" failure in 2009/2010; an interesting & entertaining read for you here: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/main-bhangra-discussion/bhangra-blizzard-2010-team-announcements-finalized-lineup-122409/)

Actually, the last I heard, this dynamic duo wanted to team up to throw a competition in TX. LOL!

Wish I could help you further Raj - I was working in Houston for a few years and even helped to establish/dance with a few teams there. I would have loved to meet up and sit in on your competition organization meetings to provide input...unfortunately, my career has carried me away from the city.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if I can provide further assistance!

~ Basim :)

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
i didn't quote basim's entire post because it looks unsightly when you quote large blocks of text, but both are incredibly useful.

thanks for always posting useful, helpful stuff,[SIZE=78%] man.[/SIZE]