Making Phuman/Other Arm Accessories

bparikh

Hi! Being on a collegiate team, we don't have very many funds to purchase new outfit pieces in the case of lost/broken parts. I was wondering if anyone knows has any ideas/suggestions on how to make phuman (I get that it's essentially just pom-poms tied together but wanted to see if anyone had done it before trying it myself).
Also wrist scarves (if there is a proper name for these, please enlighten me), I've seen them on the wrist, but I've also see them on pinkies, what is a 'safer' way to go about this so that it doesn't get caught in saap? In terms of making them I have a couple questions; what material? how big? what shape? how should they be tied - elastic or string?

I couldn't really find anything about this which is why I created a new post, but if there is already something on this then please link me to it!

Thanks!

Howie Magz

Hi bparikh,

What college do you attend? When I captained MBT we never really ran into too much problems with funding. Also to your other question, they are called ramaals and not wrist scarves. They sometimes will get caught in the saaps, but if you continue playing them normally, they do come out naturally. Also it is a mater of preference if you want to wear them on your wrist or pinky. I personally like them on your pinkies better because they really make your moves look bigger and better. Putting the ramaals on your wrist will make it less likely for them to be caught in your saaps.

bparikh

@Howie Magz,

University of Minnesota, it's really difficult for us to get funding from our school's student unions and activities board since unfortunately they tend to only fund clubs that host large events for the campus community, which means that we are our only source of funding (fundraising/gigs). Thank you very much for the insight on the ramaals though!

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
@Howie Magz,

University of Minnesota, it's really difficult for us to get funding from our school's student unions and activities board since unfortunately they tend to only fund clubs that host large events for the campus community, which means that we are our only source of funding (fundraising/gigs). Thank you very much for the insight on the ramaals though!
Sounds like you should throw a comp ;)

katie.harvey

@bparikh , Hi! We made pinky ramaals out of white satin-y fabric from Jo-Ann fabric store, and then made stick ramaals out of more satin-y fabric but of colors. I think ours ended up being around 7 or 8 inches square (we didn't measure, we just folded the fabric and cut ;) ). Something to keep in mind: the edges fray! So either cut them bigger and use a sewing machine to hem them (but that's fancy), or try what other teams have suggested and cover the edges with clear nail polish.

As for phuman, this gives a tutorial on making pom poms using toilet paper rolls (so they are a bit bigger than fork ones!), and it works great: http://www.handimania.com/diy/2-incredible-ways-to-make-yarn-pom-poms.html
The only issue is that yarn can be expensive.

That sucks about funding! I'm sure you've already looked into this, but I know at my school, we could apply for separate supplemental funding for equipment and for costumes. Wishing you the best of luck!